Dual thump single run unit? Aka rectifying thumper.

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Dual thump single run unit? Aka rectifying thumper.

Post by Chauncey »

So I'm setting up a double 15.5 pot thumper setup
So that makes a 1.5 distillation, but maybe less because both boilers will be filled with 12.5 gallons of mash Ala truckinbutch. Using it to strip double the volume as normal. Now, if I add a Six inch extension with thump spear onto a 5.16 gal sixth barrel charged w hi proof hearts or heads or whatever after the second keg, would it work to make a true double distill? assuming I can get enough heat to it would it rectify the low wines I'd be making with the first two kegs?

What about adding a couple 3 inch bubble plates to the second keg after the output of keg 2 instead of the line that would go to keg 3 in the prior example and leaving keg 3 off, then preloading them till the drain filled and the plate was just over its downcomer rise up. Would this be 2 mini thumpers without a deph? Then I'm only heating 2 kegs and a small plate segment...

I'm modifying my old non modular thumper setup to be modular. Becomes copper before the first thump spear.
20200602_011236.jpg
20200602_010650.jpg
Kind of Mockup of what I have now. The copper before the first thumper is gonna be cut and ferrule added where the ss 90 at the end of the lyne goes down. This lyne arm is designed to be adjustable height like a lot of one's I've seen around. I think maybe Otis T has it like that with copper lines and unions.

I'm go ahead and get it all in line to do 2x the stripping volume. Hopefully the downward angle of the lyne arm doesn't fill it too much from vapor Condensing before the arm is hot. Ima insulate it fosho. I can always put it on some cinders and decrease the slope.

Hope this all made sense.

Let me know what ya think. I could add a ccvm tee over plates instead of a deph to keep them filled, cm plates are too touchy for me.

If it ain't a feasible concept ima just do it like butch. Got a tonne of reflectix to Insulate all this.
Last edited by Chauncey on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: A true single run unit? Aka rectifying thumper.

Post by Chauncey »

To expound further, I was thinking the sixth barrel with just enough hi proof to cover the vapor Inlet wouldn't be hard to heat as a 3rd unit. Especially if I set up in the morning in the new Orleans summer heat and ran at night. The wash would be hot af. w humidity it gets up to like 40c or like 105f daily and rarely drops under 26c or like 80f where I live at night till like october.

Then I thought of preloaded plates like little thumps and if I preloaded them after keg 2 that might be better to make a 1 and done pot.
Last edited by Chauncey on Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

20200602_024010.jpg
OK here is a diagram of the two keg stripper even though I drew the thumper as a sixth barrel and not a half. Use yalls imagination, the amount of innovation this place has generated makes me sure of yalls possession of it. And Thanks as always.

seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

It would be interesting to compare it to doing a double stripping run with wash in the thumper and a separate spirit run.

The first problem you'll run into is going dry on the first keg. That happens on stripping runs with the two half barrel thumper setup. Adding water or more wash is an easy solution. The thumpers also might get over filled. The two half barrels filled to 12.5gal doesn't leave a lot of
room for more liquid in the big thumper. I've started putting around 11gal in the boiler and 7 in the half barrel thumper and adding about 6 gallons to the boiler half way through. If I had more wash than that, I'd increase the amount I top up the boiler with.

Other than running dry and overfilling, all of the things you mentioned with plates over the thumper should work fine. You can definitely drive the second thumper. Insulation will help. You could also use a dephleg to load the third thumper.

Main down side in my opinion is a much longer run for less product than doing two strips and a spirit run. But if you don't want to make 40+ gallons of the same wash, might be worth it.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

I ferment like 90 gallons at once usually. I put the tee on the top incase I need to refill.

From a 12.5 gal charge I usually get 2.5 gal of low wines at 40% abv. According to TB the second half barrel gains 5 qt before coming online iirc. You really think it would run dry? Not trying to doubt you but damn that's a lot to boil out. Think I'm just stick to his style and just strip with the 2 big kegs. Will wait for some more input but thanks for the info I hadn't really considered the running dry. Hmmm

seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

Stripping two kegs with about 11-12 in the main boiler left me with maybe 4-5gal in the boiler when I got to 30%. That's when the element was no longer covered. I normally go down to 10-15% when stripping.

With this setup, you're driving the boiler much harder than a normal single keg strip.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Word. I run gas so element will be no issue. Guess I'll be planning on adding some wash to the boiler that I've preheated

Oh and I do have a flute for single run stuff but I'm trying to double my strip capacity at minimum

Thnx again.

And yeah even if I can do 20 gal strips that'd be swell. If I could polish them with some passive plates or a third small keg that'd be Tits.

seabass
Rumrunner

Re: Dual thump single run unit? Aka rectifying thumper.

Post by seabass »

Post your results if you do it. I'm curious about how long a run would take with 20gal of wash and a second thumper with a little water or loaded from the first thumper. I imagine you would get a lot of flavor coming across.