First thumper run. I have ??

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tenkillsmore
Novice

First thumper run. I have ??

Post by Tenkillsmore »

Hello, I have been running a 5 gal still for a few years now. I always get around 70-75% abv in the first jar then it drops down some each jar after. I ran a thumper aprox 1 gal for the first time, I put fruit punch in for flavor. The first jar came out clear but it was only 42% abv then it started to come out cloudy. I am pretty sure it was cloudy because I ran it too hot. [please correct me if I am wrong] But I also thought maybe some of the color from the juice might of made it cloudy, but if that was the case then the first jar should of been cloudy as well? am I thinking right on that? I also lost most of the liquid from the thumper but from research on this forum I am sure it was suck back that caused that. I also read here that using a thumper should increase the abv not lower it. Can anyone tell me what happened to the abv % ? thanks.
A backpack full of Moonshine beats a pocket full of Sunshine any time.
seabass
Rumrunner

Re: First thumper run. I have ??

Post by seabass »

Need more info. What were you making? What was the abv in the boiler?
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Low boiler charge with no alcohol in thump?
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Tenkillsmore
Novice

Post by Tenkillsmore »

I was running a fruit punch mash I made with a drink powder and white sugar, that was just over 12 on the hydro meter when done. I had put a can of concentrated fruit punch with 1/2 can water in the thumper.[ I also read here that might of been a bit shy on volume for the thumper] I was trying to make a fruity flavored shine, the flavor part worked well, lots of fruit flavor just no punch.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

It was 12 brix when "done"?

Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

I think he means 12% ABV when done?
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

Which means he didn't check the SG and FG to find actual abv of wash. I'm betting there were preservatives in the fruit juice powder that kept the yeast from doing their thing. Or there was too much sugar.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I do not understand how you proceeded. Maybe if you go through your work step by step?

Among some remarks I can make: Make very sure that right after stopping distilling, you uncouple boiler and thumper. Do not hesitate or postpone for one minute: just break the connection between boiler and thumper at once.
Tenkillsmore
Novice

Post by Tenkillsmore »

Tummydoc that's what I ment, I have a beer+ wine hydro meter 12 is what it read. I thought that was the abv of the mash? I am almost sure the empty thumper was suck back because when I run without the thumper I let the still cool off before take down, I did the same with thumper attached. I will crack a connection next time. Kareltje, How I run is, I start the mash with ph corrected water [4] at a temp of between 90-95 DEG F, placed in a 5 gal water jug, temp is kept up by a heating pad,[temp strip on side of jug ] wine bubbler on top.That batch was made with 1.5 kg juice crystals 2 kg white sugar 1 tbl sp flieshmans yeast. I run it when the bubbler has stopped. seabass I am thinking you could be right about preservatives,going to look at can next time I am in store. I am not sure what you mean by SG + FG, if you would please explain, I could look here on forum but since my stroke, I have trouble with reading as sometimes my brain just does not want to work right, it takes a lot to just type out what I want to say so it makes sense to others, main reason why I don't post much. Thanks all for your help.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

To evaluate your fermentation, you take a starting specific gravity (SG) and after fermentation a final gravity (FG). Smart folks can use maths to determine the potential alcohol by volume (ABV), but schlubs like me use a brewing calculator. The FG gives a picture of the "completeness" of fermentation. High FG means ferment isn't finished, or that there are unfermentables in wash. The SG gives a picture of the sugar content in grain mashes (if you completely convert starch), or just sugar concentration in sugar washes.

You need both readings if you want to determine the potential ABV...

Tenkillsmore
Novice

Post by Tenkillsmore »

OK, thanks Hambone, guess I am getting one of those.