connection to keg idea

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: connection to keg idea

Post by shadylane »

2 inch tri clamp is 63.9 mm
Guinness kegs have a 73.3 mm od ferrule.
2-1/2 tri clamp is 77.4 mm

Plan A Grind on the keg until a 2" tri-clamp will fit.
Plan B Make it bigger with a split ring spacer on the keg side. So a 2-1/2 clamp will fit
Plan C Grind on the 2" tri-clamp until it fits the keg.

Final out come: 30 minutes of time on research and posting, waisted with out a tri-clamp GRRRR
In the future, some one with a Guinness keg will need this info.
BigSwede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BigSwede »

ggian, said it before, this is fine work; you can work metal. You have the hands and the skills. And you show some good and interesting thinking, but in this case, it is NOT the answer!

Please tell us why even a butt-joint soldering with say 4% silver solder, of a 2" tri-clamp SS ferrule onto that beefy keg opening, is not a player? If the stainless ferrule and keg are truly and properly fluxed and wetted with the solder, a butt-joint is going to hold barring some huge side moment of force.

I KNOW you can do better! :) We want to see safety and success, in that order.
ggian
Novice

Post by ggian »

OK ok I have got the message . thank you all.

I have purchased a stainless steel 2in keg connection and will modified it to the odd keg I have and slight small 2in pipe.

Found a tig welder here in this country that will weld the entire thing up for me.

Just cutting the the boka cuts now using the template and making the plates while the connection comes in the mail.

Cheers
ggian
Novice

Post by ggian »

boka cut with the template.
Attachments
tmp_20140720_201714633669019.jpg
ggian
Novice

Post by ggian »

this was my original idea I think it would have worked but I went with your wisdom and expertise.
Attachments
tmp_20140721_174204-424406749.jpg
APR
Novice

Post by APR »

ggian wrote:this was my original idea I think it would have worked
I feel it would be too easy for the column to come unattached from the boiler under column side load.

Hazard and Risk Management.... What can go wrong and what can I do to avoid it...
...but I went with your wisdom and expertise.
I believe you have done the wise thing.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

I'm glad.you ditched that idea too, it just didn't seem safe, it's not hard to be safe, might cost a bit up front to but things, but you'll only have to do it once, and the money you save at the bottle.shop will pay for it easy!. Here's the ferrule sizes we have here, not sure if it's the same where you are?.
Attachments
14059116908190.jpg
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
CanadianBacon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CanadianBacon »

ggian wrote:I am trying the follow for my connection to the keg.

any thoughts

I went to mile hi and bought a column with tri clamps and flang all welded for 99$. Best purchase this year. Went right on to my keg and looks good. I spent more money on my 19 litter pot still then I did on my 58 litter keg still because I was trying to cut corners, Lesson learnt :mrgreen:
BigSwede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BigSwede »

I'm glad you are getting it welded up. Your idea MIGHT have worked. Then again, might not, and hot, high proof liquid and worse gaseous ethanol is very dangerous. Like gasoline. How many people each year are horrifically hurt when gasoline vapors catch fire in an enclosed space?

You'll really like what you'll end up with after welding and gathering the right fittings together for your build. Please keep the pics up, we all enjoy them!
ggian
Novice

Post by ggian »

tri clamp came today :oops:

way to small
Attachments
tmp_IMAG0022_1_1-937622688.jpg
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

The keg is too big. Now you need a grinder.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

How big is the hole in the keg?, didn't realize they had the thread in them, some people use the thread to connect to don't they?, im sure I've seen that here somewhere?. 1.5" bsp female nipple?. Shady might be right, can you grind some away?.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Post by Bob Loblaw »

I thought you were going to cut out the fitting and weld in a standard one? That "U"-system fitting is used by Guinness and about zero other brewers. I think the U stands for "useless" from a boiler standpoint. But I guess it probably keeps people from stealing their kegs.
Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Match the threads and get a male connecter threaded, solder to your column and done easy.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
Prawnstarr13
Novice

Post by Prawnstarr13 »

Ggian I am in the uk,
I just got these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111287812156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
silver solder the ferrule to the keg top either by cutting the old connector out or fitting this ferrule over and silver soldering it on
The clamp will fit and the other ferrule will slip inside your copper 2"(54mm) and it will solder into it
Hope this helps
Only the paranoid survive
Prawnstarr13
Novice

Post by Prawnstarr13 »

Somo the thread is 50mm od 14 tpi nots thread not ever seen an adaptor to 2"bsp thread
Other option is cut flange off the spear get a stainless 2"bsp back nut welded or soldered on
Get rid of the bottom part of the spear just below the thread then you can wind it into the keg and use a tank connector to join the 2" copper via a compression fitting
Hope this helps
Only the paranoid survive