2" ferrule fittings right OD size?

VM CM LM Flutes Plate

Moderator: Site Moderator

2" ferrule fittings right OD size?

Postby Dantuss » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:21 pm

I want to make sure I am ordering the correct ferrule size these on amazon.ca seem like a decent price they say 2" OD and the copper I am purchasing is 2" type "M". Anyone know if the 2" OD ferrule will slip inside the 2" type M? One of the reviews says "had to grind down to get it to fit into my copper" I wonder if he was using the thicker type "L" copper?
Link to ferrule with triclamp
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N4H ... 9ZSM&psc=1
Link to copper spool
https://www.amresupply.com/part/2CPTM-2 ... COPPER-P-F

Thanks!
Dantuss
Novice

Re: 2" ferrule fittings right OD size?

Postby Pesty » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:10 pm

I'm knee deep in these same adapters building a double thumper setup with 5 tri clamp connections so here is my experience using L pipe.

It's a buttweld sanitary fitting meant to be welded to another section of SS sanitary pipe. They do not slip inside the pipe easily.
Your choices to get them in are..

force them in after you anneal the tube (I did this with Type L then silver brazed them in place. Use a square or a plumb bob to make sure the pipe is straight)

If you have access to a lathe you can remove some material. (I almost bought a benchtop lathe but someone else got to it first. I've had one in the past and it's a great tool to have)

Grind off material with a bench or hand help grinder.

Purchase copper tri champ ez flange adapters made to fit in from eBay or Stilldragon.

Hope that helps ya bro!
Last edited by Pesty on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby still_stirrin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:18 pm

2” type M copper ID = 2.009”, or 51.0286mm. So, the 51mm OD ferrule will fit very close inside the copper pipe. Close tolerances will allow you to solder it inside. You’ll need to ream the copper slightly to eliminate the ridge when you cut it with tubing cutters.

Don’t forget to properly prepare the soldering surfaces before soldering. Get the correct solder and flux to make it easier to solder as well.
ss
Attention new distillers: Cranky's spoon feed info
What is a Proof & Traille hydrometer: Alcohol-meter
Enzyme info: SebStar
HD Google search info: HD Google-how to
All about mashing grains: Braukaiser
still_stirrin
Master Distiller

Postby still_stirrin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:27 pm

Pesty wrote:I'm knee deep in these...They do not slip inside copper pipe easily. Your choices to get them in are...force them in after you anneal the tube (I did this with Type L then silver brazed them in place).

2” type L ID = 1.985”, or 50.419mm. That would be an interference fit with the 51mm OD ferrule and it would require press fitting inside the pipe. In fact, you’d have to actually expand the copper in order to insert the stainless ferrule.

But, if you’d have used type M, it would have fit inside easily...not loose, but it would fit inside.
ss
still_stirrin
Master Distiller

Postby Pesty » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:40 pm

I got almost 40' of L for free so I've had to make things work as all the cool parts are sized for M.
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Dantuss » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:00 pm

What if I bought some of these fittings 2"x2"?
https://www.amresupply.com/part/470096- ... S-COUPLING
Solder spool into one end and slide Ferrule fitting into the other end and silver solder.
Should make the joint much easier beats having to grind or force things? One downside is it will add to the cost.
Dantuss
Novice

Postby still_stirrin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:10 am

The coupling fits on the OUTSIDE of the pipe. So, its ID is much larger than the ferrule OD. It won’t help you. If you buy type M copper pipe, it’ll work fine. If you use heavier copper, type L for example, you’ll have to expand the copper to fit over the ferrule. The ferrule is closer to fitting inside the pipe than the outside.

But since copper piping ODs are common diameters so they all work with standard “hub” fittings, the IDs all vary because of the different wall thicknesses and pressure ratings. DWV (drain waste & vent) copper has the thinnest wall. But it too has a common OD.

Bottomline....type L or type K is heavier and more expensive (unless someone gives it to you). Type M is heavy enough for still making in all cases and it will work with the stainless weld fittings (ferrules and such).
ss
still_stirrin
Master Distiller

Return to Column Builds