Copper combination CM Build (with cold fingers)

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BugHunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Copper combination CM Build (with cold fingers)

Post by BugHunter »

Yeah, I did another cleaning/test run last weekend, and had no leaks. So the solder joint seems to have sealed well enough.

Right now I'm out of town, helping my parents get ready to move, so I won't be able to do the sacrifice ethanol run until the 16th or 17th. I'll probably just grab a jug or box of cheap wine for that.

I've also got some more work to do on the finish. Most of it is down to 200 or 400 grit sandpaper, then I'll buff it with tripoli and then rouge. So that'll be a few more hours of work on that front as well.
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

Awesome! Be sure to post pics...I finally gatherred all the parts I need and will start soldering tomorrow!
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is the noblest; Second, by imitation, which is the easiest; and Third, by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

Bug Hunter:

I found this about "Copper Laquer" and "polishing"....have a read in Old Dog's post!

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15489
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is the noblest; Second, by imitation, which is the easiest; and Third, by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius
BugHunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BugHunter »

I've just done a bit of web research, and one product I've seen recommended is ProtectaClear. They have a series of questions to determine which of their products is best for your application, and when they ask what you're using it on, one of the options is actually for stills. One example project they have is Shelter Point Distillery.

I couldn't find any specific info on what temperatures it is safe for, but given that they specifically recommend it for stills, I suspect it'll be OK.
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

It is also my understanding that Brass Polish might do the trick. Take a read on some of Old Dog's posts. He is a master at finishing!

BTW take a look at my build...just posted! Where's your pics?

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=68790
BugHunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BugHunter »

I've done some jewelry making before, so I've got polishing supplies and experience. I've got brown tripoli that gets from 400 grit sanded finish to almost polished, then red rouge to get from tripoli to a mirror finish.