VM Project

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

irishmike
Novice

Re: VM Project

Post by irishmike »

beautiful work NM, and +1 on it being a shame to cover up the art of your work. i have a question about the set up. what is the advantage of having a LM and VM set up in one rig? how do you use it? could you give us an example of what steps are involved in a run? thanks again for sharing.
m.
she keeps telling me: "I don't care if you pee in the shower, but you have to be taking a shower!"
Tom Hawk
Novice

Post by Tom Hawk »

New Moonshiner (or others),

I am new to this craft and am presently having a ball! Your work is absolutely beautiful! You should get an award. I suspect you will certainly get a "reward" once you learn the subtilties of operating your new VM unit.

Now, my question:

For such a system, why would there be insulation around the cross flow condenser? Additionally, should there be any insulation above the column itself? Doesn't the reflux section (the part immediately above the column), the outlet to the VM valve, and to the lieberg condenser need to be exposed to ambient atmosphere?

If I'm off base, I apologize; it's because of ignorance so please educate me.

Thanks to all.

Tom
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

Pms sent ..
kingearwig
Bootlegger

Post by kingearwig »

What a beautiful rig! I built a 2" VM head. I used a .75" gate valve. I have no slant plates in it and I use a coil as the upper condenser instead of the crossflow.

When I run a bok style LM rig I collect foreshots, heads, hearts, some tails. Then when I am sure that I am well into the tails I open my valve all the way so as to collect the tails as fast as possible because they will be rerun any way and I have plenty of storage space for them.

I rarely use my VM because I cannot do this with that head. My only option for running balls out with that rig is to just live with 2.67:1 reflux ratio. Or to remove the coil and cap the top. which works well. When you are in the tails of your run do you switch to LM so that you can have a no reflux?
Smiffy
Novice

Post by Smiffy »

ummmmm wow..
gunpowder44820
Novice

Post by gunpowder44820 »

NEAT IDEA AND GREAT PICTURES. WHERE DID YOU FIND THE 2 IN DISC AND WHAT MATERIAL ARE THEY MADE OUT OF?
THANKS
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

King, I use the upper assembly to remove fore's and heads ... and the Vm side to collect the hearts ..to me it runs a tad bit faster.. and i think cleaner than if I just used the LM side to do the whole run .. I really dont spend alot of energy on the tails which normally isnt al that much anyways ..my goal is to produce the cleanest and puriest of Neut. .. Im too much of a perfectioniest i guess... one could turn up the power towards the end im sure and collect more of the tail.. but like i say .. generaly for my run .. its not worth the time and energy .. the 1 inch gate seems to give me pretty decent control over the rig .

gunpowder, are you askign about the disc i used ? if so .. they are cut from a flat piece of the 2 inch copper .. I cut a piece about three inches long , split it , and heated till red .. submerged in cold water.... then very easily pressed it flat .. and the did the drilling the holes.
exon
Swill Maker

Post by exon »

Beautiful project!
Excellent workmanship!!

Thank you for the excellent presentation.
Indeed, a goal for the likes of me.
I am a pathological liar and functional illiterate.
axle1960
Novice

Post by axle1960 »

Great workmanship, very inspiring.
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.
Sr WiNdTech
Novice

Post by Sr WiNdTech »

Can I ask where you got your 2" copper disc's?
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

new_moonshiner wrote: gunpowder, are you askign about the disc i used ? if so .. they are cut from a flat piece of the 2 inch copper .. I cut a piece about three inches long , split it , and heated till red .. submerged in cold water.... then very easily pressed it flat .. and the did the drilling the holes.
Sr WiNdTech
Novice

Post by Sr WiNdTech »

hahaha, I knew I should of read the whole thread :) Thanks!
ammo man
Swill Maker

Post by ammo man »

Hello new_moonshiner,

I changed computers a couple of months ago, and lost your email address. Send me an emai so I can get your address, and I will bring you up to date on my latest ventures relating to our favorite drink.

To you new comers: Below is a link that will show some pictures of new_moonshiner's rig that I built with his advice and help. I will add that I could not have done it without his help. He was always there when I needed him.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=12634

Bert
pale horse
Novice

Post by pale horse »

Great work and setup I live in the bush here in Alaska I sure wish I could get someone to make me a unit like this would make it worth his while pm me if you would like my cell and we could talk Kim
Kiwi-lembic
Swill Maker

Post by Kiwi-lembic »

nice job
jacksonslayer
Novice

Post by jacksonslayer »

I like the "water tube boiler" style condenser.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

jacksonslayer wrote:I like the "water tube boiler" style condenser.
:?: :econfused: :?:
Oxbo Rene
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oxbo Rene »

rad14701 wrote:
(Newbie)......
It is not the matter, nor, the space between the matter,
but rather, it is that finite point at which the two meet,
that, and only that, is what is significant...........
(Of course, I could be wrong) ..........
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Oxbo Rene wrote:
rad14701 wrote:
(Newbie)......
I'm still left wondering what that description meant... :think:
aqua vitae
Swill Maker

Post by aqua vitae »

:eh: :problem: :think: :idea:
water tube boiler condenser = Harry's crossflow condenser = shotgun condenser = shell and tube condenser? :lolno:

I like the new smileys :thumbup:
Oxbo Rene
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oxbo Rene »

He must be a "boilermaker" :D :D
It is not the matter, nor, the space between the matter,
but rather, it is that finite point at which the two meet,
that, and only that, is what is significant...........
(Of course, I could be wrong) ..........
BossFrogg
Novice

Post by BossFrogg »

Now I'm just depressed . Please tell me your a master plumber with 25 years experience . My little stainless and copper still just committed suicide after seeing yours . I really envy your craftsmanship . Very nice job .
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

youre not too far off my friend . 24 years ..lol i dont do as much now as i did then .. but it just comes as part of the job I guess.. thanks for the kind words..
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Nice to see this VM bumped (again), brings back great memories of a perfect build... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Must remember to build a crossflow for my VM when I finish my Flute build... :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

by christ that's pretty!

i like it that much, i think i atually love it!

nm, however, you sir are a bounder and a cad!

i only built my rig a few weeks ago, and now im going to have to start again on a brand new build! the mrs is already getting a bit arsey about the bits of copper all over the flat!

seriously though such a nice job!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

j
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
BACKWOODS1
Novice

Post by BACKWOODS1 »

nice job i am a master plumber for 40 years and that is some of the nicest soldering i have seen. :thumbup:
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

Thank you guys for the kind words and comments ... one thing I do is take a little pride in my work.. and the final product as well.. :D
cupcake +1
Novice

Post by cupcake +1 »

Nice work, very clean and professional.. Any chance of getting a pic of the whole system? Why do you have 2 condensors, not sure I understand how the whole thing goes together.
moe fishwater
Novice

Post by moe fishwater »

Genius NM! Gorgeous still. Say, Wha'd you use to insulate your rig, and is that electrical tape keeping it on? Thanks.
Some go to church, and think about fishing. Others go fishing and think about God. http://www.pleasantpheasant.net
Bubba Q
Bootlegger

Post by Bubba Q »

You can get the foam insulation at most hardware or refrigeration supplies. It's typically 1/2"wall and sized for copper pipe (O.D). Some of the brands I'm aware of are called Nomalock and Armaflex. If you google them you'll see what I mean.