more progress pics of 3" internal TEE LM/VM

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

condensificator
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: more progress pics of 3" internal TEE LM/VM

Post by condensificator »

...so, i started the "window frame." i ended up going with a 2-1/4" hole, just to make sure i could fit all of the necessary parts to make the seal work. it is actually going to show way, WAY more than i thought it was...i didn't take into account the angles involved. because of it being the same diameter as the TEE housing itself, i will be able to see inside of the entire operation. you can kind of see it in the pics. the red lines are where it will be mounted, the blue lines are where the slant plates are.

if it all goes right, should be exciting to watch.
if any of you guys know any reason why this is a bad idea PLEASE tell me now. i've got a shitload of loot and time into this and i don't want to blow it. thanks.
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

That should be awesome :D I should point out you won't be able to cut very effectively on that thermo though - best get you a digital that is got to 0.1*C (or F I guess). It is a very nice dial though. I need a couple of them for my beer setup.
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Are you going to tack the nuts on the inside of the fitting for the tightening screws?

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Your a craftsman condensificator, very clean and positive build man.
That sight port will be awesome when its mounted...
What tool will you use to cut into the Tee/Take-off fitting avoiding the slant plates as you cut...?
What tool did you use to make the sight port...?

Great build project man, the amount of metalworking talent on HD really is very very high...

Thanks for sharing bro... And keep those piccies coming, its very inspirational... :D :D :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

You are one hell of a coppersmith :!: :!: Keep the pics coming man this is really interesting.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

I think you are in danger of de-soldering some of the existing soldered joins with the amount of heat you will need to solder that cap on.

But you seem a pretty dab hand at fiddly soldering, so maybe you can do it.

Maybe a solder with a lower melting point might help, if you can find one.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
condensificator
Site Donor
Site Donor

kiwistiller wrote:That should be awesome :D I should point out you won't be able to cut very effectively on that thermo though - best get you a digital that is got to 0.1*C (or F I guess). It is a very nice dial though. I need a couple of them for my beer setup.
total bummer! i love that thing. i'm gonna keep it for sure, but i can add another small port for an electronic job. anyone have any recommendations on one of those programmable ones with alarms?
olddog wrote:Are you going to tack the nuts on the inside of the fitting for the tightening screws?

OD
i am making an inner ring, like a big washer, out of 1/8" plate, that will have the same hole pattern as on the window. the holes in the window itself will be through holes, the ones inside on the ring/washer, will be threaded. glass will be sandwiched inbetween cork on either side, the the window (cap) and inner washer will be the "bread." no nuts required.
Samohon wrote:Your a craftsman condensificator, very clean and positive build man.
That sight port will be awesome when its mounted...
What tool will you use to cut into the Tee/Take-off fitting avoiding the slant plates as you cut...?
What tool did you use to make the sight port...?

Great build project man, the amount of metalworking talent on HD really is very very high...

Thanks for sharing bro... And keep those piccies coming, its very inspirational... :D :D :D
mini cutoff wheels for rough in the hole. i'll cut it a bit undersized so i have a lip for holding solder, then grind off the excess with dremel type tools (i put in 20 or so hours a week with rotary tools for work, so it's pretty second nature for me). the work i did on the cap so far was with a lathe to cut the port and a bandsaw with a 45* fence to cut the angles.

glad to be giving back!

thanks again KS!
HookLine wrote:I think you are in danger of de-soldering some of the existing soldered joins with the amount of heat you will need to solder that cap on.

But you seem a pretty dab hand at fiddly soldering, so maybe you can do it.

Maybe a solder with a lower melting point might help, if you can find one.
yeah man. i'm torn on this one. i'm not so much worried about the slant plates as i am the centering spout on the lower plate. it was carved from a built up lump of solder, and i don't have the same access to it as when i built it. if it was just the slant plates, it would be well within my comfort zone. the good thing is, that everything has been done with hard/silver solder, so if i chicken out i can always give soft soldering a go, but i really suck at it!

got the cork and the circle cutter en route...fun, fun.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

what kind of hard silver solder are you using? and what kind of heat source Map, acetylene or propane?
condensificator
Site Donor
Site Donor

oxy/acetylene, i wouldn't mess with any hard solder on large copper without.
harris safe-silv 56 for most stuff...wicks really well, follows heat.
harris stay-silv 15 for joints that need a bit of filler, stays where you put it, wide melt range so you can really build up with it.

both cure as hard/strong as the copper itself.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Every time you open your mouth I spend money. :P
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

LWTCS wrote:Every time you open your mouth I spend money. :P
Sucks dont it LW... I have been checking out the 56 safety silv and man that shit is high... but the 15 does not wick up well at all.
condensificator
Site Donor
Site Donor

yeah dude, i know...i prolly have $50 worth of solder into this thing so far! there are prolly cheaper ways to go, but it's just what i'm used to for work stuff. i just spent a bunch of loot chasing supplies for the sight glass and a 3 way valve for the coolant line...it's very addictive and highly contagious! i'm not complainin'...i've had hobbies that were far more expensive, and not one of them brought me an ounce of likker.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

condensificator wrote:
yeah dude, i know...i prolly have $50 worth of solder into this thing so far! there are prolly cheaper ways to go, but it's just what i'm used to for work stuff. i just spent a bunch of loot chasing supplies for the sight glass and a 3 way valve for the coolant line...it's very addictive and highly contagious! i'm not complainin'...i've had hobbies that were far more expensive, and not one of them brought me an ounce of likker.
I know exactly what you mean brother.. I think i like building the stuff as much as making the likker. I like you have had hobbies that were way more expensive than this, and I can do this at home... Damn I love it.
KS
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Hey now,,,,,,Don't change the subject......Someone make Olddog be quiet before we all end up in the poor house :lol:

In all seriousness,,,can't begin to measure the amount of pleasure this hobby has brought me.

And back on topic,,,,Condensificator,,,,Top notch work there,,,,Fuggin hate you too :mrgreen:

Cheers Gents.
Sorry bout my sler,,,as it's is sipping time.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

LWTCS wrote:.Someone make Olddog be quiet before we all end up in the poor hous
I'm just trying to think of a new project for you Larry. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OD
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Thanks condensificator.... :D

But as Larry say's, its sippin time... :D
So much likker, so little time.... :( :lol: :( :lol: :( :lol:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
condensificator
Site Donor
Site Donor

should all be ready to install, but i want to wait until i get the cork and the glass dry fit before i cut or solder the main body. i tapered the inside shoulders of the socket head cap screws so they would do a compression seal into the outer window. stoked.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ok man I have had enough... you suck man :wink: :wink:
Damn your good nice clean good fitting on everything... hell ya you suck big time.. Make me feel just a little inadequate.
Im not looking any more... :wink: :wink:
Thats fuggin brilliant my freind
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

That there is a work of pure art man...So clean and purdy...
I would gladly pay for 5 of them, your a professional...

So, a cork gasket, will you use musical cork as with the flute builds?

So glad you came to HD condensificator, like most others here on the boards...
What an addition we have... :D :D :D

Inspiring... :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Extreme care will be required when tightening the screws for sealing the sight glass, as uneven pressure will crack the glass. It will be a bit like tensioning a cylinder head.

OD
maritime
Novice

Post by maritime »

crap! i just came across this thread.
great work. you need to take video of that sight glass during the run.

as a pipefitter and fabricator myself, i know how much work you put into this build. big thumbs up! you have skills my man.

looking forward to the pictures that are coming.
7 year column distiller
makes pretty good barn vodka
condensificator
Site Donor
Site Donor

thanks guys. yeah, i got the saxaphone cork.

OD, yeah, i am ready for that. i am actually going to find something to turn down to swage the inside of the window, as i can't really true it up with my little shitty lathe. after i got a dry fit, i wish that i had ordered thicker cork, but i'm just gonna go for it, 1/8 turn at a time. i'm getting a circle cutter, so the worst that happens is i just cut another if it breaks....unless glassman wants to send me a couple in pyrex...hint, hint!

yeah, definitely going to have to youtube it up!
rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rednose »

Hmmm, that's the best copper smith work I've seen so far.

You can avoid to use cork if you want to get multiple teflon tape as I mentioned before. :wink:

Joe
Licensed Micro distillery "Bonanza"; fighting the local market
condensificator
Site Donor
Site Donor

rednose wrote:Hmmm, that's the best copper smith work I've seen so far.

You can avoid to use cork if you want to get multiple teflon tape as I mentioned before. :wink:

Joe
thanks! do you mean wrapping it around the outside diameter of the glass? ...i think i might have to try that. if it works, might solve a couple of issues at once as well as being a lot cheaper and easier to source. i got a 4 x 6 x 3/64" piece of sax cork and it was crazy expensive. if i blow it with just one cut, i have to pay and wait for another one.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

condensificator wrote:
rednose wrote:Hmmm, that's the best copper smith work I've seen so far.

Joe
thanks! do you mean wrapping it around the outside diameter of the glass? ...i think i might have to try that. if it works, might solve a couple of issues at once as well as being a lot cheaper and easier to source. i got a 4 x 6 x 3/64" piece of sax cork and it was crazy expensive. if i blow it with just one cut, i have to pay and wait for another one.
Yeah, may have to go with Joes suggestion for the teflon tape. I use the wide variety, ¾", here you can buy a pack of 10 rolls for £2 ($3US).
If I remember right Olddog used a piece of teflon, but it ended up being quite rigid and did'nt compress all that much, I'm sure OD will fill you in on his experience..
PTFE, may be a little more forgiving in this area.... :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rednose »

condensificator wrote: do you mean wrapping it around the outside diameter of the glass?
Yes, that's the way I seal the still head of apollo.

Just make 5 to 6 rounds, that should do the job.

You have the advantage that the glas doesn't touch any hard material that way.

Joe
Licensed Micro distillery "Bonanza"; fighting the local market
condensificator
Site Donor
Site Donor

on it. the cork isn't going to be here for a few days anyhow, and i'm itchin' to get going on the portal.

thanks!
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

condensificator wrote:on it. the cork isn't going to be here for a few days anyhow, and i'm itchin' to get going on the portal.

thanks!
Yeah, go for it man... You can allways try the sax cork when it comes, but I feel sure the teflon tape will do the trick... :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

I tried...I really did.
But Im afraid Im going to have to join the other's in hating you...you suck. ;)

Its very nice work and here I am with a keg that I havent gotten the insides out of due to time constraints...Damn, thats impressive. ;)
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
LearJet
Novice

Post by LearJet »

To make matters worse, not only can he build stuff better than us, if you'll notice in the pictures of the extremely nice sight glass he was showing off his workshop is a nice crisp 72 degrees! Really impressive!