Novice Needs Help With Bokakob Double Reducer

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Novice Needs Help With Bokakob Double Reducer

Post by Coaster »

Hello Folks,

Novice planning on building a Bokakob Double Reducer distiller which below I have provided a very rough sketch and am seeking your comments and suggestions for improvements/modifications.

A question I have is how far do I extend the 1 ½ inch nipple into the 3 x 1 ½ reducer to provide a sufficient distillate reservoir level? Is there a ‘rule of thumb’ as to how many ounces the distillate reservoir level should contain?

Regards,
Coaster

Azframer
Swill Maker

Re: Novice Needs Help With Bokakob Double Reducer

Post by Azframer »

Well with a slant plate the plate being at 30 degrees gave you about 9/16" I would guess some where in that range but would let someone else make sure.That would hold more fluid than a slant plate.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

seems i remember this question a while back. I believe we came up with somewhere around 1 inch. You want to get some kind of plate/centering ring in that nipple cause that resevoir is gonna overflow into it and run down the sides, you need it to go down the center of the packing
if you havent started building/bought your parts yet. you might want to consider a dual slant plate. All them reducers pieces are gonna cost you big. just my .02
cheers
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
Austin Nichols
Rumrunner

Post by Austin Nichols »

Nice! good to see someone else building this in 3" :D

Will you add a tee on top of the one and a half inch? if you do this it's great to use as a pot still too, and I reckon it creates turbulence in the condenser housing making condensing a bit more efficient.

As for your question, the overflow point on mine is 1 inch high.

You can see mine here. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&start=0

Your going to love this rig, it's a beauty!

Cheers.
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by maheel »

MuleKicker wrote: somewhere around 1 inch. You want to get some kind of plate/centering ring in that nipple cause that resevoir is gonna overflow into it and run down the sides, you need it to go down the center of the packings
why not run it 1.5 inch and at the 1 inch area run a 3/8 (or 2 from op sides) reflux pipe into the middle of the 1.5 inch pipe
maritime
Novice

Post by maritime »

what maheel said.

on the niple that goes through the 3 x 1 1/2" reducer,
instead of having the distillate overflow and come over the sides, maybe drill a 3/8" hole at the level you want and solder a 3/4" long piece of 3/8" soft copper.
that will send your distilate right down the center and you can still build your Boka this way.

if you think 3/8 isn't big enough, just go up s few sizes. i'm just saying, drill a hole, add a nipple to direct you reflux back down the center.
7 year column distiller
makes pretty good barn vodka
Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coaster »

Thanks for your comments.

It appears the consensus is that extending the 1 ½ inch nipple into the 3” x 1 ½” reducing coupling to the length of 1 inch will provide sufficient distillate reservoir level.

As per suggestions I will install a 3/8-inch T in the 1-inch long 1-½ inch nipple to direct the distillate overflow back down to the center of the column. On top of the 3/8 inch T I will solder a 1 ½ inch long piece of #6 copper wire and attach a 2-inch cap centered over the 1 ½ inch nipple. This should direct the condensate distillate from the ¼ inch double pigtail reflux coil into the distillate reservoir and prevent the condensate distillate from directly falling back into the 1-½ inch nipple.

Regards,
Coaster
PappyVanStinkle
Novice

Post by PappyVanStinkle »

I realize this thread is nearly four years old at this point but I'd like to add one suggestion. Instead of drilling holes in the nipple and adding tees and such. Why not extend the nipple into the reducer just 1/2" and solder an inverted 1.5"-1" reducer into the nipple (narrow end extending into the nipple)? This will allow plenty of opening for vapor to reach the condenser whilst keeping the distillate overflow from running down the sides. Just a thought.