From reflux to pot

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Grayson_Stewart
retired

From reflux to pot

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Brought over from old forum:

BigA
(stranger)
09/20/04 08:33 PM
From reflux to pot

HI all,
I've been over on moonshinestill.com and looked over the site a few times and the valved reflux still head looks like the one for my first still.

I will be attaching the column with a bolt-on flange. After reading a few dozen threads on this site about using a pot still I think I might want to convert this still for that use later on. What do you guys think would be the best design plan to use so my still can be used as a pot still? Should I just bolt on a new condenser later or place a union in it now?

Also, in addition to a better condenser, are there any other improvments to this"world class distillation apparatus"?

Thanks, that's about all the stupid questions I can think of right now.

Ubernewbie,
BigA

Post Extras:

Fourway
(old hand)
09/20/04 08:41 PM
Re: From reflux to pot [re: BigA]

the nicest improvement in my opinion is the bokakob dual elliptical plate inline head. it's hard to find plans for though.

Gin was mother's milk to her. - George Bernard Shaw

Post Extras:

Knuklehead
(enthusiast)
09/20/04 08:44 PM

Improvements...yes. The coil is way to small. Use 16-20' of 1/4" copper for the coil instead of the suggested 4'. I learned this the hard way. Also, if you want to make neutral spirits up to 95% increase the column length. I increased mine to 36" from the suggested 28 and I can pull just under 95%. I would suggest another foot if you have no problem with height. Other then that it is a great still. If you have questions don't be afraid to ask because there are a few members here with the same set up and they can all make great suggestions for improvement.

I am Canadian

Post Extras:

BigA
(stranger)
09/20/04 08:48 PM
Re: From reflux to pot [re: Fourway]

I did see that today on some back pages, it looked a little bit more than I wanted to do for my first go. I do like the idea of a single column, it would look much cleaner than the one I'm planning.

Thanks,
BigA

Post Extras:

BigA
(stranger)
09/20/04 08:57 PM
Re: From reflux to pot [re: Knuklehead]

Thanks Knuklehead,

No, I have no problems with height. I was planning on 36", but I can go higher. Today I read a number of posts about cooling and was going to go with what you suggested.

Do you think it's important to increase the size of the head to 3", or should I just keep it 2" and add the 20' of 1/4" coil(wrapped around a 1 1/2 form) to form a longer head?

Thanks,
BigA

Post Extras:

Knuklehead
(enthusiast)
09/20/04 09:09 PM

What I think is that the condenser jacket size doesn't matter. What I don think is important is to start the coil as tight as possible. I put a double helix in my 3" jacket and I always put a scrubber on top of the condenser just to slow down the speedy vapor. If you have a 1 1/2" tunnel through your coil you will get a lot of vapor just shooting past the coil through the center unless you slow it down somehow. You could push a scrubber into the coil or just plop one on top like I do. I have also read of people taking a piece of 3/4" copper pipe caped at one end and using that to restrict the flow down the center of the coil. Also, I started my coil around a 1" pipe and then went around that with another layer. My coil goes down into the 3-2 reducer you see on the plans. Another word of advise which I didn't have is to make your coil removable. Make it so the intake and output of the cooling water end at the top so you can pull the whole thing out and clean it as well as inside the condenser. Good luck.

I am Canadian

Post Extras:

BigA
(stranger)
09/20/04 09:34 PM
Re: From reflux to pot [re: Knuklehead]

I was planning to run the inlet of the condenser down the middle of the coil with two 90 deg fittings at the bottom.

thanks,
BigA

Post Extras:

grayson_stewart
(enthusiast)
09/20/04 10:23 PM

My column is about 46 inches of packing with a union at the top and I have the removable condensor. It makes flushing the whole thing out alot easier, I can get a scrubber in and out of the coil, place one in the top of the cap, and even remove the entire coil to soak in vinegar from time to time.

Good things may come to those who wait. But only the things left by those who hustle
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
bigA

Honored

Post by bigA »

:P This is way cool to have my second new thread brought over from the old forum. Thanks Fourway! and a big thank you to all who helped me get going in this hobby. Of all the hobbies and boards I visit, this is by far the best group of people ever. I really like the fact that none of the crew here will give details untill the newbie understands the basics of distilling...Shows you have a deep passion for what your doing and a respect for the art.

I haven't been drinking yet either, Respect!

~BigA
Jaxom
Swill Maker

Post by Jaxom »

I'm kinda glad this was broght up. I just finished building my converted pressure cooker still. Now, will I patiently wait for some last minute supples to come in that I order. I'd like to start getting an idea on how to convert my keg.

I've read that article, "Build a world class still". So far I understand the principles involved. I just don't understand why you'd wanna leave the top off the condensor? Wouldn't some of the vapor escape?

Jaxx
Grayson_Stewart
retired

You leave the top off the condensor so you aren't creating a closed system which could build pressure. I have a cap on mine, but the cap has a hole drilled in it so I still do not create a pressurized system. I used the cap so I could solder my coil in/out lines to the cap and the coil would always sit centered in the jacket.

A little trick I use to make sure I'm using only the amount of cooling water I need is to take a small piece of paper just large enough to lay across the hole in the cap....once the still reaches boil up, the piece opf paper will flutter and move if you have any escaping vapors. The slightest amount of uncondensed vapor will move the paper. I adjust the water flow until the paper doesn't move anymore.

The idea is to never have any escaping vapor, hence why some folks don't worry about having a cap on the condensor. It's difficlt to see a slight bit of vapor coming off a 2" diameter pipe.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Jaxom
Swill Maker

Post by Jaxom »

I think I read about that someplace, you have some type of compression fittings on the in/out put of the coil so that you can clean the coil and the inside of the 2" pipe, right? How big of hole did you make? Couldn't some type of pressure reliief valve be installed?

tia,

Jaxx
Grayson_Stewart
retired

My coil is soldered to a two inch copper cap and the cap press fits on the 2" copper jacket. My coil has a fitting on one end to accept a 3/4" garden hose, the other end of the coil is the exit and it's left plain to just attach a vinyl tube for discharge. I drilled about a 3/8" hole in the cap for a vent....easily covered with just a small piece of paper. The paper isn't ment to trap anything, just allows me to see when vapor may be moving the paper.

Pressure relief valve could be installed, but that would require a pressure to build up to work, and a valve costs money. Plus it isn't as easy to tell where that break point is that you are using more cooling water than needed. Since I don't want any pressure and want to only use enough cooling water to JUST knock down the vapor the hole is simple and gets the job done.