self filling inline thumper design

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Re: self filling inline thumper design

Post by jedneck »

Just finishing a spirit run of 3 strip runs watered down with 4th gen ujssm. Collected 3gallons give or take a little. Ditched a pint as fores and heads right of the start. Looks like maybe 2 quarts head and not sure on tails yet. I will proof and blend in a couple days when I don't have a head cold. Gonna age on oak till I have to drink it. I have a little supply built up. Once plate was loaded turned of reflux and ran as an inline thumper. Plate is starting to empty so its just about done. Plate empties on its own at the start of the tails. :clap: Did the run on 3000 watts. Other than taking longer to heat up, which I think is good, it seems to be almost ideal rate. Havnt got the parts to build a controller yet. If I'm happy with the product would I need a controller?
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

jedneck wrote: If I'm happy with the product would I need a controller?
I don't think so. Certainly not a requisite any way.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Running a chocolate cereal wash rite now. She seems to like producing at a rate of an ounce a minute at a steady 160 proof. And has good flavour. I have been charging thumper with 2 quarts of wash. Next run I'm gonna use reflux to charge the thump and see what happens. This shit is fun. The more I read the more I have those ahh moments.
Nothing better than a talking thumper and bluegrass. Except maybe a bunch of somo'S morels.
big help
Dunder
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

That turned out damn nice Jed. Thanks for sharing.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Thanks hillbilly. Funny thing is I have it sitting on the shelf rite now. I enjoy my pot and thumper more.
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Made a parrot finally and finally got an alcoholometer. Did some mod to the flute. Changed the downcomers to 1/2 inch and installed my triple wall Liebig instead of the 1 inch over 1/2 to make it more compact. Doing a sac run on the five gallon boiler charged with 3 gallons of 35% trash from another cleaning run. Running 2000 watt element. Its running at a steady 172 proof with how its set now. It is running about 20 proof higher than my old potstill did with the same charge. I think that I will keep running it on the 5 gallon boiler that I use as a thumper on a keg boiler. Gotta start a sugar head to use for another sac run to see what it will do on a single run. Over all I think it was worth it. Main goal is to get my all grain mashes to have a keeper cut of 55% on a single run.
Attachments
It not a parrot its an ugly duck.
It not a parrot its an ugly duck.
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

If one of the mods see this can this get moved to the column build section. I think that it will fit better there. Thanks.
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Turned reflux off add it dropped to 160 proof and dumped the plate. Plate emptied add dropped to 130 proof. Went to full rflux and reloaded plate. Proof went back to 160 proof. There is a pretty good lag it readings. I used 1 inch for the body of the parrot and 1/2 for the feed.
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Thanks rock.
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Finally got a low abv mash ran. It was a single wheat malt at about 5%. Heads started out at 72%. Dropped to 65% for hearts. Started dropping again at tails shut of reflux and run till 10%. Out of a 4 gallon charge kept 600 ml at 55%. Have two 7% sugar heads to run then I'm gonna run it on the keg and thumper. Five gallon boiler is barely big enuf to run this head. Gonna start a ujssm with the backset from a single malt wheat.
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Running a 8% sugar wash rite now. Getting 84% at a liter every 40 min( collecting 100 ml at a time, it only a 5 gallon boiler). Not to bad for a single perf plate. That's the best I got so far. Next run will be on the keg for a boiler and the thumper. Any ideas what numbers to expect on a wash that is 7%?
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Ran a first gen ujssm then a week later ran second gen. Both run started in the high 80%. Last one almost hit 90 for heads. Hearts are in the mid 70's. Runs are on a 3000 watt element no controller, its on the to do list. I was afraid that at these proofs it would be lite on flavour. WRONG , this thing is a flavour machine.
big help
Dunder
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Stripping flavor is not as easy as one often reads.

Lots of whiskey is made by stripping then run through a 4 plated system as an example.
Also stripped with a plated system then pot stilled for the spirit run.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.