OK so I'm thinking its time for a new column any input???

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

trbartz
Novice

OK so I'm thinking its time for a new column any input???

Post by trbartz »

OK so my first still was a stainless steel 6 litrepressure cooker with a 1 inch column about 24 inches high packed about 18 inches with scrubbers has a 1/4 inch copper line running through the column for reflux so it would be a cm style still if I read that part right.... it has a 10 inch long half inch id condenser with 1 inch cooling jacket over it .....now I've made some decent stuff with it but can't break into the 90s highest I can get is 85 percent and it is slow it only drips 1 per sec I can make it go faster but costs me taste smell and proof it I run a steady stream it .....I believe floods the column and starts to spit.......so these are problems I'd like to rectify ahead of my next build oh and I run this with a modified hot plate 1000watt with a 1000 watt dimmer switch in the cord. I'm thinking on building a bokabob 2 inch but my question is should I stick with cm style in sense I already understand the process and how to run it or will a cm always cost me taste in the end??I like to dabble some with rum and wine and when they don't turn out like what I had in mind then I just try and rerun them into neutral.......anyways any input would be great!!! I'm just thinking the one I already built is to small I've been tinkering with it for like 3 yrs now and wish I had known about this forum then ....lol thanks guys sorry for rambling
Halfbaked
retired

Re: OK so I'm thinking its time for a new column any input??

Post by Halfbaked »

If I were in your shoes I would start with a new pot like a keg and then go up from there.
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

Depends on what you want to make.
If you want to make neutral, then a boka is an easy solution, but if your only making neutral to reclaim other products and don't really want it then its probably a waste of time.
If you want to make rum, then a pot still might be a better choice.
I agree with halfbaked, get a better boiler.
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Good advice given but to add to what has been said, I started with a 2" VM and really liked it for the first year learning cuts and making a neutral to infuse other flavors. I also started out with 5 gallon washes but then started charging my keg with 11 gallons and my run time went up to 12-15 hours. Reading the forum and wanting more I built a 4" CM still, this still lets me make anything I want depending on how I run it. The same recipe went from the above listed time to 3-4 hours, maximum 5 hours with clean-up. It will not take long before you will want more from the hobby. If I could change anything, I would have made it more modular to give more flexibility when introducing botanicals into the equation.
trbartz
Novice

Post by trbartz »

Thanks for the input and yea I'm going to use an 8 gallon keg as my next pot... so then it sounds like the cm is a lot more flexible of a unit overall I'm sure I may eventually want more but for now I don't want all the expense of going bigger than 2 inch but then again if it really is worth it maybe??? Im just wondering if it will be...at this point I was thinking I won't be doing more than a 5 gallon wash can a 2 inch column handle this in 3-4 hours after heatup or is it worth the money to jump to a 3 or 4 inch???
trbartz
Novice

Post by trbartz »

Oh then will a 2000 watt internal element run by a router speed control give me enough power and control any input on that would be great too???
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Post by Bob Loblaw »

My advice: Skip the 8 gallon keg and go straight to a 15.5. gallon. You can always run half a charge in a bigger boiler, you can never run twice the charge in a smaller one. I started with a pony keg and wish I had not. It will cost you the same amount to weld a ferrule into either size - so go with the big one.

As for a temp controller, do some research on that. A router speed controller is not appropriate. You want an SSR that uses voltage resistance and a potentiometer in the right rangefor the SSR. Add a project box, power cord, and possibly a fan and you are in business. There are many threads on the forum on this. Most are long, confusing, and contradictory. But the items I linked above will do the trick for a 110v/15-20A circuit. If you go with 220V/30-40A you will need an SSR with a 40A rating
Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I agree with Bushman on the modular part of it. Being able to make anything you want is a big plus. Bob says 15.5 keg and I agree 100%. You can run a small charge or a larger charge and its easier to make cuts and you get more product. If money is a big issue propane is gonna be a short term cheaper. Electric is gonna be better and cheaper in the long run. 2 inch is good and cost at most 20% of a 4 inch. Strip a 10 gal run in 3 hours. I don't reflux but understand that it can get time consuming. You can do electric on the cheap if you want if you got tools or buddys with tools and a few skills and some readin learnin on lectric.
trbartz
Novice

Post by trbartz »

Thank you guys but mostly was gonna use an 8 cause I have it and I can weld the bungs on myself... I get what you are saying tho...maybe I will look around a bit and see what I can find.. ..SSR??? Does that stand for single stage resistance .........
trbartz
Novice

Post by trbartz »

trbartz wrote:Thank you guys but mostly was gonna use an 8 cause I have it and I can weld the bungs on myself... I get what you are saying tho...maybe I will look around a bit and see what I can find.. ..SSR??? Does that stand for single stage resistance .........
. Excuse me got it solid state relay sorry for my stupidity for the moment....lol
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I use a 15.5 gallon keg boiler with a bok type head. It is designed so the valve and column are optional. It then works very well for a pot still or stripper.

I was planning on a modular setup so I used tri clamps. The still will hopefully have cm/lm/VM and bubble cap options one day.
trbartz
Novice

Post by trbartz »

Bear river I like that idea I guess I will build 2 heads I'm very interested in the bok cause 50% of the time my recipes don't turn out the way I want and then I want neutral.....now for my next 2 questions on a book where to place a thermometer 2 different plans show 2 different places one is right under the upper plate and one is halfway up the stack which is better and does takeoff tube increase in diameter with column diameter or is quarter inch standard now if I go with 2 inch tube I'm thinking 24 inches tall is there any reason to go taller??? Thanks again guys
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

You should really just start here... http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

This is the link to the New Distillers Reading Lounge. If you read all the links you will be well informed and make much better decisions with your build. There is even a link in there for building a boka with detailed instructions and templates. Along with other types. :thumbup:
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

trbartz wrote:Bear river I like that idea I guess I will build 2 heads I'm very interested in the bok cause 50% of the time my recipes don't turn out the way I want and then I want neutral.....now for my next 2 questions on a book where to place a thermometer 2 different plans show 2 different places one is right under the upper plate and one is halfway up the stack which is better and does takeoff tube increase in diameter with column diameter or is quarter inch standard now if I go with 2 inch tube I'm thinking 24 inches tall is there any reason to go taller??? Thanks again guys
Under the plate for thermo placement. As far as height just shoot for whatever. Mine is 3 and 1/2 feet tall by 3 inches. If it was taller I would get a slightly higher abv, but I don't see the point when my neutral is indeed neutral. There is no good reason to get higher than 190 proof in my mind if your already getting a good vodka.
trbartz
Novice

Post by trbartz »

Thanks bear river!! Appreciate the help