cheap 3" copper LM

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chroi
Swill Maker

cheap 3" copper LM

Post by Chroi »

Well, I got lucky and found some unused 3" copper type L at the scrapyard. a 22", 23" and 44" length. The most exciting was the untouched, still shiny 3" coupling....

This will allow me to expand on my current T or pagoda LM design.

Hopefully the pics illustrate it well enough. It's a very simple, smart design that I had nothing to do with coming up with :D

The ring in the bottom of the cup is a slice of 2" pipe with a small piece taken out to clear the 1/4" takeoff. It sits slightly taller than the takeoff, allowing the 2" section of pipe that houses the condenser to be inserted fully without crushing the takeoff.

I plan on simply scaling this up to 3". Make a 3.9"x3.5" square from a 1 1/4"x3.5" tube, make a plate, center it in the coupling, and install a T and takeoff, allowing the condenser section and packed column to be joined with no triclamp, flange or gasket. At most, a tiny bit of PTFE tape or flour paste to seal.

The big advantage of this design as I see it is the ability to retain the rest of the column untouched for another build (cough CCVM cough) A connection to the boiler is the only permanent modification required.

So, my questions:

1. What size reflux return for a 3" running SPP? I'm using a 1" in my 2" column, and have another 1" T handy. For the 3" should I go larger? I have scrap 2" that I could easily make a reflux return out of and cover with a "pagoda". So 2" return in a 3" column?

2. What size takeoff? 3/8" seems right. 1/2" seems large.

3. Suggestions for the shortest possible reflux condenser? Option 1: use a short section of scrap 4" I have to make a wider condenser than the column, either shotgun or giant coil. Option 2: Harrys crossflow condenser in either 2" or 3". Need to make the T, cause I'm not paying for a 3" T.
Attachments
photo 5 (1).JPG
photo 4 (1).JPG
photo 4 (1).JPG (17.18 KiB) Viewed 887 times
photo 3 %281%29.JPG
photo 2 %281%29.JPG
photo 1 %281%29.JPG
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: cheap 3" copper LM

Post by still_stirrin »

Building a copper stash, are we Chroi?

Good find. Use it wisely.

ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Chroi
Swill Maker

Re: cheap 3" copper LM

Post by Chroi »

Hey what follows me home from the scrapyard isn't my fault. It just jumped in the car....

Finally got a minute today to turn a plate. Used 1 1/4" L grade (at my limit for my shears!) Nothing worth posting a pic of but it fits and was the most difficult part of the build

Need to decide on 1" vs 2" reflux return?

Also, I'm pretty much screwed on the takeoff. After my initial post I decided I really wanted to do 1/2" but a needle valve would be $50-100. Totally blows the budget aspect of the build.

So 3/8 OD it is. If it turns out to be too small Ill replace it with something larger. I have the tubing, valve and fittings to make a mini Liebig product cooler as well so this one will cost me very little.