Column plans, help needed

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Wooaamm
Novice

Column plans, help needed

Post by Wooaamm »

I'm planning to build my first still at the moment. It would be silly to buy all these expensive pieces and not be able to use them, so I'm looking for some feedback. I'm gonna be making neutral spirit to start off, with an offset-head still. I'm primarily concerned with time issues, because I can't really do marathon 12 hr distilling sessions. I've only messed about with a crappy still before so I have no real experience with it. But I guess stripping every wash will make it easier to time manage. If anyone has a similar build, how long does it take for you to complete a wash from start to finish? Am I way off with some of the variables here? It would help immensely! This is what I had in mind for the build (based it off http://homedistiller.org/image/matt_headandcolumn.jpg):

- Large 50L keg (or some other +- 50L container my uncle would weld together for me)
- Two heating elements, I'm thinking two times 1.5kW but not sure there. Fire up both for heating and one for equalizing and taking off product
- Copper 54 mm (2") column
- 1 - 1,2 m SS packing
- Column connected to both boiler and head with thread connections. They won't cost me that much more and it will be easier to clean or convert to potstill mode

I'm still missing a thermometer (haven't decided which one) and and needle valve (I found a €30 one and it's the cheapest I could find for this purpose, but I'm still looking). Thoughts?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Column plans, help needed

Post by shadylane »

Thoughts?
Build the pot with a fill and drain.
Use only one heater with a phase angle controller.
Use tri-clamps instead of threaded connectors.
Use a slant plate or two cups still head instead of an off-set.
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

For neutral I really like a VM as opposed to an LM. DAD300 has the easiest CCVM design out there.
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

shadylane wrote:Thoughts?
Build the pot with a fill and drain.
Use only one heater with a phase angle controller.
Use tri-clamps instead of threaded connectors.
Use a slant plate or two cups still head instead of an off-set.
+1 to everything Shady said here. A slant plate will be easier and cheaper. If you want faster, go 3" and it will be three to four times as fast as a 2". It makes a fine neutral.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Wooaamm
Novice

Post by Wooaamm »

Thanks guys. I've been reading for hours and days and weeks and I just keep finding new and better stuff that shatters whatever I read before. Building a 3" column has crossed my mind, because it would also solve the height issues I could run into. From what I've gathered rad's design seems to be the cheapest as far as this kind of design goes? I'm still finishing the whole thread, so I don't know if it can be scaled up to 3". And those reducer pieces for 3" might make it really expensive instead. Edit: well crap, standard slanted plate/Boka seems to be cheaper anyway. Since I've got a pro to help me where needed I'd rather go for a slanted plate head then.

I really liked the thread about CCVM, and one build DAD mentions (3" x 36" with SS scrubbers) seems to fit my needs and options perfectly. I'll have to do some more research on it and how much it's going to cost.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Wooaamm wrote:Thanks guys. I've been reading for hours and days and weeks and I just keep finding new and better stuff that shatters whatever I read before.
Welcome to the forum..... :wink:
Using Google Search

T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Remember, a 3" might be more expensive at the outset but will be MUCH faster to run than a 2"...especially a slant-plate boka.

tp
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

personally I'd reconsider the dual element and just go 5500 watts 220Volt element
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

bellybuster wrote:personally I'd reconsider the dual element and just go 5500 watts 220Volt element
+1
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Haven't built one of these but It looks like it would work.
Attachments
coupler take off.png
coupler take off.png (5.82 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
Wooaamm
Novice

Post by Wooaamm »

I'm not sure I get the picture shadylane, what is it exactly you've drawn (I'm tired and slow today, I do appreciate your artistic skills).

I'm convinced for building a 3". The extra cost is definitely gonna be worth it for me. As far as the design goes, a 3" CCVM seems to be an easier and cheaper option than making a 3" boka. Still unsure whether to use copper or SS, since dad's builds seem to all be SS. I'm not really convinced of any big advantage either way.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Copper is easier for the layman to work with. You can cut it with any saw no matter how dull, easily shape it, heat it to make it soft again and join it with solder and a propane torch. Copper is more expensive material and readily available at plumbing supply houses. SS work hardens, is harder to drill or cut, can be soldered but is best if TIG welded. SS is cheaper material but not as many choices as regular plumbing if you don't know what you are looking for. You can always add a bit of copper mesh or pieces on the vapor path to deal with sulfides when using stainless, or as some will argue, perfect your wash.

I like most of DAD's plans. If you go VM, it looks like the right build to me. If you would like to try LM, don't think that a slant plate is hard. It is very simple to build.
Using Google Search

Wooaamm
Novice

Post by Wooaamm »

Alright, thanks for the help guys. It's gonna be a copper 3" boka, 1 m of SS packing, 1/2" SS gas line condenser coil. I haven't found anything about making a double coil with this stuff, maybe I'll try with a smaller diameter and make a double one.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

If you're gonna use scrubbies, consider copper. It's a better material for the use.

tp
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Wooaamm wrote:Alright, thanks for the help guys. It's gonna be a copper 3" boka, 1 m of SS packing, 1/2" SS gas line condenser coil. I haven't found anything about making a double coil with this stuff, maybe I'll try with a smaller diameter and make a double one.
You shouldn't need a double helix using SS gas line... But stuffing some loose scrubber in the center of the coil can be helpful...
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

I have this in my three inch and it handles anything I can throw at it. I do have a little copper mesh stuck in it. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 87&t=43955

I will say, that seems like a lot of scrubbies. When using mesh I always got better results keeping it fairly tight. When I built a three inch, I went with lava rock and have never looked back. I keep a small wad of copper mesh on top to keep the rocks in place when the top of the column gets boiling. Still want to give marbles a shot :wink:
Using Google Search

Wooaamm
Novice

Post by Wooaamm »

Very interesting stuff, I appreciate the help from everyone. I'm going to try both options - lava rock and scrubbies - and compare the results. Now to get copper pipes, been around some suppliers and they sell 3" but for some reason not right now, or I have to buy 5m at once.
Wooaamm
Novice

Post by Wooaamm »

I found some cheaper copper pipe, it's 2 m x 80 mm but only 0.7 mm thick. Is this going to be strong enough to support itself? Most other pipes I looked into are at least 1.5 mm. Got hold of a keg + a thermometer today. Tomorrow some lava rock and scrubbies.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

That copper will work just fine... (y) Quite a few 3"/80mm builds around here... What type of still are you looking to build, Pot, CM, LM, VM, other...???
Wooaamm
Novice

Post by Wooaamm »

Building a LM, slant plate 3" boka with +- 1m packing (as high as I can fit under the ceiling basically). Alright, I might just go with that then.
Wooaamm
Novice

Post by Wooaamm »

I'm just missing some packing, a needle valve, a heating element and a condensor coil now. Scored a big bag of cheap lava rock 5-8 cm to smash into smaller pieces, but I'm gonna go the classic (and tested) way of copper mesh first. I'll buy the mesh from a pest control store I think: http://www.pestfix.co.uk/stuf-fit_copper_mesh_wire.asp.

Found some needle valves online, but rather buy one in a store to save transportation fees. Haven't found a good one yet. Was thinking 1/2" for the take-off tube (on a 3" boka), or is this too big?
I couldn't find the SS flex gas line anywhere in stores. Shipping the good ones I found online to Europe is a no go, so I'll probably go with a copper double coil.
Heating element: well, haven't really looked yet!
wv_cooker
Trainee

Post by wv_cooker »

Ever think of the LM Nixon stone without the offset. Easy to do and you don't have to mess with the plates. Or a simple new style CM will do way more than a boka which everybody picks because that's all that people have talked about for years.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

bellybuster wrote:personally I'd reconsider the dual element and just go 5500 watts 220Volt element
Looks like he is in the UK?
May not have a 30 amp circuit available?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Wooaamm
Novice

Post by Wooaamm »

I'm still checking the possibilities there. And no, I'm not from the UK :wink: . Looked around, hard to find one that suits my needs, most are too big.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

wv_cooker wrote:Ever think of the LM Nixon stone without the offset. Easy to do and you don't have to mess with the plates. Or a simple new style CM will do way more than a boka which everybody picks because that's all that people have talked about for years.
Hey WV, got all my parts for boka,but your post has me curious about a CM now. I shyed away from CM at first, but maybe interested now. You happen to know a thread to start reading for one of the new styles you mention? Thanks!