Help please

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Roobrew
Bootlegger

Help please

Post by Roobrew »

I have just sourced a 50 litre stainless beer keg so want to make it into a still. I am going to use it as both a pot still using my old still head as a donor but also want to make a Boka head for it. The heater I have is 2.8 kilo watt and I have a router controller for it. My question is what height of column (54 mm) would be good for this configuration and how much steel / copper scrubbers would be required and to what height? Only reason I ask is I keep finding contradictory answers when I do a search.
Also at a later date what would be the next still head to make for neutrals...ie better than the Boka?

Cheers

Roo
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Help please

Post by bearriver »

Roobrew wrote: My question is what height of column (54 mm)
Shoot for a meter. 10-20x the diameter is a good rule of thumb, or so I have heard.
Roobrew wrote:how much steel / copper scrubbers would be required and to what height? Only reason I ask is I keep finding contradictory answers when I do a search.
How ever much it takes. Pack it tightly enough to where you can blow air through the column (Using your mouth) so that there is some restriction, but not so much restriction that breathing would become labored. This is why I dislike scrubbers, and advise other packing materials...
Roobrew wrote:Also at a later date what would be the next still head to make for neutrals...ie better than the Boka?
Good luck. I think LM designs are the bee's knees. However there isn't a damned thing wrong with a VM still...
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

CCVM is super easy and makes a damn good neutral. Boka's too slow for me.
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

thatguy1313 wrote:CCVM is super easy and makes a damn good neutral. Boka's too slow for me.
How is a CCVM generally any faster or slower than a LM? I don't get it...

The reading lounge has a few threads on the difference between these reflux designs, and their operations. Be sure to check it out.
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Never run a Boka but I thought take off rates were fairly slow (drips per second?) I pull nice neutral at near pot still speeds on a 3"x48" CCVM.

bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I can easily collect (1 gallon ≤) per hour with my 3" boka, at or near azeotrope, without smearing. Hound dog has a similar setup to me, with similar results. The output is kept at a steady twisting stream. Saying all bokas are slow is like saying all cars are slow because you drive a Pinto.

Takeoff rates in reflux stills are mostly dictated by the column diameter, which requires more power thus resulting in more reflux. The distiller in charge is also a large variable. VM/CM/CCVM/LM has little to nothing to do with it.
Last edited by bearriver on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

OK boys, keep your junk in your pants.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Roobrew
Bootlegger

Post by Roobrew »

Thanks for the replies so far. What is a CCVM....? ))....
Roobrew
Bootlegger

Post by Roobrew »

Thanks for the replies so far. What is a CCVM....? ))....

Oh and forgot to ask....where does the packing need to start and end ....I am guessing not above the plates for one?
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Condensor controlled VM. DAD300's design is an easy to build example. Slide the condenser up and down over the takeoff rather than using a valve.

I have one. Works pretty well.
Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

I think I remember the packing should end 1 column diameter below the plates(i.e. 2" below the plates on a 2" column, 3" below the plates on a 3", etc). Again, I've never built or run a bok but that's what I remember from looking at the design.