OK, kind of a beginners question, BUT

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fermented1
Novice

OK, kind of a beginners question, BUT

Post by Fermented1 »

I will keep this short and too the point. A quick question. I have been fermenting and distilling for years now, using a basic still set up. Just recently
started looking into still upgrades and found this Forum,which I am really finding useful. I recently built a Thumper which has worked out very well.
But I still dont completely understand the purpose ofa Column or copper raiser. Could a get a quick and understandable reason for using one and what
it does exactly, please? Im trying to decide if its worth building or not. Seems like alot of you all have and use them.
Thanks Ya All. :wink:
Here is to LIFE, Liberty, and the pursuit of the PERFECT BATCH !!!!
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: OK, kind of a beginners question, BUT

Post by skow69 »

I'll take a stab at it.

BASICALLY, for our purposes, a fractionating column is a vertical tube filled with packing. The boiling wash forces vapor upward thru the tube. A condenser at the top changes some or all of the vapor to liquid "reflux" which flows downward. The packing provides surface for the reflux to cling to. As the vapor and reflux "mingle" energy (heat) is exchanged and phase change takes place because the contents of the column naturally seek a stable homogeneous state called "equilibrium." This process is governed by the amount of mass and energy available at any given point in the column. Over time, the more volatile components tend to migrate to the top because their equilibrium temperature (boiling point) is lower, so they must be farthest away from the heat source. This results in a temperature gradient and corresponding separation of the different components (or "fractions") of the wash throughout the column. The temperature differential is measured in tenths or even hundredths of a degree. The objective, then, is for the operator to extract the relatively pure fractions, in order, from the top of the column, while maintaining the equilibrium. "Smearing" occurs when the temp gradient is upset, allowing the fractions to mix.

Hope this helps, or gives you enough info to start asking questions. Others will have different descriptions.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

To elevate the lyne arm and condensor to a suitable height for stove top distilling with a collection jar at the same level as the still.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

For a reflux column read the link in my signature. It is by Husker and describes running a Liquid Management Reflux Column still. It is very good. It describes in detail what skow69 just said.

If you just mean a column on a pot still then NZchris hit it.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

If you like neutral spirits or vodka. A packed column reflux is better then a pot still. If you like whiskey/rum or brandy. Then a pot still with or without a thumper is better.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On