My 2" Boka - VM

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

navyrum
Novice

My 2" Boka - VM

Post by navyrum »

Built a new VM. All new mats except the keg, I got impatient (a bad habit in this hobby)....
2" x 48" column with removable head, 1" take off between the boka slants. the second slant is 1/2 of the width of the column so about 3.14:1 ratio, first slant is slightly larger then half and the angle directs vapor right into the 1" take off.
7" double helix condenser from 1/4" tubing (no bends, kinks or flat spots this time) I found some $2 1/4"-PEX shut off valves 90 degree angle too.
Um, this is on top of a 50L keg on a 3000watt element with 3/4" drain valve. Grounded directly to copper pipe in the house.

boka is to take off the heads and let me get deep into the tails at the end of a run.
This set up is yet to be tested for a spirit run as I am having a controller issue.
24" liebig condenser may need upgrading.

Still to come, 2" pot still.

The sad thing is, I think I enjoy building stills more then using them....
Pictures say a thousand words so have a look and tell me what else I may need to improve.
Attachments
DSC00077_1_800x600.jpg
DSC00076_1_600x800.jpg
DSC00075_800x600.jpg
DSC00073_800x600.jpg
DSC00072_1_800x600.jpg
rubber duck
retired

Re: My 2" Boka - VM

Post by rubber duck »

not a bad looking still sir, are those wire and controller inside the still, or is that a Coffey can i cant make sense of it. the rig looks nice though what did you use for packing?
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

generally a ball valve is not what i use on a vm but it will work.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

looks like you have a lm take off to, good thinking
navyrum
Novice

Post by navyrum »

The controller was inside of a coffee can. Its being remade as the SSR i was sent died on first use.
For some reason I like ball valves, i didnt think it would make a huge difference in my VM as even wide open its a 3:1 due to boka plates.
LM to take off heads seemed like a great idea that I copied, keeps the condenser from being contaminated.
I already have stainless steel scrubbers but I am ordering copper ones as well. Due to the lack of a controller she only works as at 3KW so no scrubbers and just stripping runs.
It also needs insulation, but its a work in progress.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Your coffee can makes a great heat sink, but is a shock hazard. It would scare me on 110v and scare the shitz out of me on 220v.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
navyrum
Novice

Post by navyrum »

i am going to switch it when I get my new ssvr. I havnt found the perfect box yet.
navyrum
Novice

Post by navyrum »

first stripping run. Stuck at full power (3KW) as controller parts are still on order.
No packing, no insulation, 30l charge, got to temp in around 50 minutes.

50 minutes: head is holding steady at 82.2 degrees, valve wide open. Getting a nice steady stream 79% at 15 degrees (82%?).

1:20 hrs later: I am sure there is smearing of cuts all over the place. But this second liter is pretty tasteless, except the wild burn. I dont know how people sample undiluted booze.

Again, this is just a stripping run, so ill be saving it in my big wine carboy for when my controller gets here.

2:00 hrs later: I got 3.78l of booze, its still collecting, temperature is rising to 93.6 degrees and output is slowing to steady drops (4-5 per second?) at 45%. Kind of a weird taste is towards the end of a run. The liebig condenser has a heavy buildup on condensation due to cold water.

2:45 hrs later: got an extra 200ml, output at a drop every two seconds at 35%, temperature at 98.3. I quit. I dont see getting much more.

3:45 hrs later: cleaned up.

Does a stripping run take anyone else 4 hrs including prep and clean? this seems a little long.

Of note: all electric connections are cold to the touch.
Attachments
DSC00108.JPG
Last edited by navyrum on Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Hmmm, you don't sample undiluted booze, especially as the abv gets up there. Keep a sppon and a glass of water nearby. Dip spoon in for some water and then booze...watered...taste...
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
navyrum
Novice

Post by navyrum »

Ah, that explains why my tongue burns. I was putting my finger under the tap, shaking it off and then licking it. At least I know my finger is sterile now :?
Thanks for explaining how to taste product as it comes out. thank you!
navyrum
Novice

Post by navyrum »

Here is an update for anyone interested. Build complete and electics updated to code.
I have a good system going. 70l birdwatchers at 10% for 4 days at 28C. Rest for two days at 15C to clear. Consistantly starts at 1.06 and finishes at 0.99-0.98.
2 stripping runs of 33L (throw out the bottom yuckies) Full power (3KW) VM fully open the whole time straight into 23L carboy until it stops producing anything. It litterally stops at 40%, makes it so easy, I just walk by and check it every few minutes. Condencer output is 75C (about 1/2l per minute)
Stir in a little baking soda and let it sit for two days. Top up the carboy with water and transfer back to keg.
Get it to temp. let it sit for about an hour at 1KW. Open vm a crack and collect 500ml (one drop every 2 seconds) (firestarter). Increase power to 1.25KW let it sit for 10 minutes, open a bit more (two drops per second) collect 750ml or until there is no smell from product, this goes back into the carboy. Once a true neutral comes off increase power to 1.5KW and open her up all the way (2:1 ish is my best guess due to the boka plates taking half the area of the 2" column). Collect around 5L in small jars or until a weird stale smell starts. Collecting remainder in the carboy at full power, let it go until the still stops producing. Condencer goes through about 1/4L per minute until the end of the run, just enough to keep any steam down.
I air it out in maison jars for 48hrs. I smell the middle cuts and then the start and end, if any of the start or end of the run have any smell they go back into the carboy.
In the end I get about 5L of good neutral to play with. Cut with store bought distilled water (its easier) or infuse/mix at full strenth in clearly labeled containers.
Ive been loving these:
Mr P's Hot Cinnamon Schnapps - http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=25616
Taters Kahlua - http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=48094

Now that I have a little stock i am ready to start a pot still to make some rum and rye. Can anyone send me a link for a simple good build for a pot still?

If anyone else is looking to to make a simular VM build I recommend cutting out the boka part. It was a waste of time and effort and I never use it (although its faster for stripping runs I like the simplicity of running the VM). It would have been so much easier to just have a straight 60" x 2" copper pipe with a removeable condencer on top and a 1" pipe out of the side going to a 1" valve and on to the condenser. Or a better design would have been a 48" column hooked into a 2x2x2 tee with a condencer head on top and a reduction to 1" valve on the side.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

stops at 40%, makes it so easy, I just walk by and check it every few minutes
You should NEVER leave a still unattended..!
Not even for "a few minutes.." (however long that is).
let it sit for about an hour at 1KW. Open vm a crack and collect 500ml (one drop every 2 seconds) (firestarter). Increase power to 1.25KW let it sit for 10 minutes, open a bit more (two drops per second) collect 750ml or until there is no smell from product, this goes back into the carboy.
You collect foreshots and heads through the VM..?
If anyone else is looking to to make a simular VM build I recommend cutting out the boka part. It was a waste of time and effort and I never use it (although its faster for stripping runs I like the simplicity of running the VM). It would have been so much easier to just have a straight 60" x 2" copper pipe with a removeable condencer on top and a 1" pipe out of the side going to a 1" valve and on to the condenser. Or a better design would have been a 48" column hooked into a 2x2x2 tee with a condencer head on top and a reduction to 1" valve on the side.
So i take from this, you're not running of the tails in LM mode either..?
Edited to add my question: Why not utilize the tool you build to the full extend..?
Last edited by Danespirit on Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

navyrum wrote: If anyone else is looking to to make a simular VM build I recommend cutting out the boka part. It was a waste of time and effort and I never use it.
Thats funny. I had a LM-VM-combi and now cutted out the VM part. It was a waste of time and effort and I never used it. :lol:
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

navyrum, you are making a LOT of mistakes according to your posts... Your over-confidence is going to come back and bite you in the ass if you aren't careful... It would be worth your while to revisit some research into the theories and fundamentals...

We take safety very seriously here, and you should too - for your own benefit... NEVER leave a still unattended...!!! Even with all of the experience I have I will piss in the kitchen sink, and have, before I'll leave a still unattended... Better to be safe than a statistic...

Low wines sitting on baking soda for two days won't accomplish much... The recommendations is more like 1 - 2 weeks... Not that I consider the use of baking soda in low wines to be needed if all else has gone according to plan...

I pull a heck of a lot of usable tails after I've drawn off my hearts... I switch over to hybrid mode by opening up my LM needle valve to run in quasi pot still mode... That removes a lot more alcohol without the pungent smell... I'd rather redistill the tails alcohol than toss it out...

As for a simple pot still, have a look around and see what others are running and decide for yourself... Some prefer a flake stand while others prefer running a liebig... Personally, I wouldn't recommend tossing a thumper into the mix until you've tried your hand running without and deciding whether you really need one or not... Some members here leave their thumper sitting unused, collecting dust...

Keep at it and it'll become second nature... We want you to be both safe and successful...