Bubble bowl?

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

thatguy1313
Distiller

Bubble bowl?

Post by thatguy1313 »

So I was studying PP' s Fu man and Moonwhiskey's bubble bowl column and I think I'd like to incorporate something similar for when I run flavored drinks. Right now I'm running a 2"x40" CCVM. Just wanted to run some plans past the experts before cutting on anything. I was thinking of using two SS bowls (~8" diameter) and clamping a bubble plate between the two bowls. Pretty sure I can fit 5 upcomers (1" with 1.5" caps) and a 3/4" downcomer on an 8" plate. Everlasting gaskets to seal the plate between the bowls and easy flanges to connect everything to the keg and column. Hardest thing I foresee is getting everything level. Any build tips/ tricks or other advice would be welcome.
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bubble bowl?

Post by bearriver »

Your idea sounds great. Will you be incorporating a sight glass? One of the well known online retailers use 3 down comers on a plate that large, and 16 bubble caps.

It makes me wonder what particulars are involved in pairing plate diameter with column diameter. It seems natural a large plate would take more power to drive properly than a small plate would. I have plans to build a copper "bubble ball" as well.

Have not read the flute talk thread past page 5, but am sure most if not all of my questions about it will be answered and the ones I haven't thought of yet.

Good luck,
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

I definitely want at least one sight glass on there. I could probably do a lot more bubble caps if I did smaller diameter ... hmmmm ... That might allow for a more shallow liquid bed while still retaining lots of interaction between vapor and liquid. I'm going for lots of flavor at higher abv but maintain takeoff rates. I can get an excellent neutral with the set up I have now. Guess I better get on CAD and figure out what I can safely put on a plate that size.

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Have you checked out Mash Rookie's Robot build? It's been a while since I visited it but you might gleen some helpful info on the following thread.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... obot+still
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Excellent! Thanks bushman!

thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Alright. Looks like I can fit 8 upcomers (3/4 with 1"caps) and two 1" downcomers. This still allows for a ton of space (theoretically I could fit 4 more upcomers) for a large liquid bed.
Now, a few questions. I know I want to keep the caps 1/4" above my risers and have a 1/4" puke gap between the caps and the plate. My main question is about the caps themselves. I have no idea how many slots to cut in the caps or how long the slots should be. Im also a little fuzzy on a good height for the liquid bed/ downcomers. I think PP had adjustable downcomers but don't know how he did it. Any advice?