not to fancy but this is my new column

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

blueduck
Bootlegger

not to fancy but this is my new column

Post by blueduck »

tell me guys do you see any thing wrong out side of the fact that its made of 1 inch
20141027_171337.jpg
Attachments
20141027_171408.jpg
20141026_141726.jpg
The fun is in the outcome
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: not to fancy but this is my new column

Post by ben stiller »

Looks like your reflux condenser will sit below the output. This will condense the vapor before the output and not let it produce product. AT least it looks that way from the pics.
carbohydratesn
Swill Maker

Post by carbohydratesn »

That is okay, it looks like a CM still. You increase and decrease the cooling water to set the reflux ratio. Looks good, but the product condenser is outside the shot, hopefully...
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Maybe it's a CCVM. I don't see a valve. There is something kind of sticking out from behind in that area, but it doesn't look like a valve.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
liquid therapy
Novice

Post by liquid therapy »

skow69 wrote:Maybe it's a CCVM. I don't see a valve. There is something kind of sticking out from behind in that area, but it doesn't look like a valve.

Looks like a port for a thermometer.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

If you look at the last picture there is clearly a needle valve on one of the cooling lines.

The question I have is how will a 1" reflux column run? I would assume you are going to do strip runs with an alternate head or this one with the RC turned off. Then you could run low wines through this column. If not running low wines I'm afraid the output may have to be very slow to produce high abv.

This may be good for an alternate stilling "tactic." You could run real slow and compress the fores and heads, then turn the RC off and collect whiskey level output (65-80%) for the hearts, then turn the RC back on and slow down to milk the tails for all they are worth. Because of the low inner volume this design could lend itself to that "tactic."

PS: pretty copper WOO!
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
blueduck
Bootlegger

Post by blueduck »

I have a different column with external cooling as well, that I use for striping run it can put out 70% with a broken stream on striping run and 85%on 2nd run.
Im hoping this column will clean up the product more for neutrals
Ill post some more pics later to show you guys the hole system
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

ben stiller wrote:Looks like your reflux condenser will sit below the output. This will condense the vapor before the output and not let it produce product. AT least it looks that way from the pics.
looking that way to me. even CM, the condenser is way to much to allow reflux and takeoff. We shall see I guess. pics mean nada
blueduck
Bootlegger

Post by blueduck »

this is a pic of the rig im running now it may help you guys see the hole picture.I will swap out the columns only.
20150406_171247.jpg
Given the fact that water vaporizes at a higher temperature than alcohol I will be good that the reflux condenser is lower then the output tube for this design.
keep in mind that I can adjust the water flow to the coldfinger
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

So you're sticking with CM and the modification is to move the reflux condenser from outside to inside, right? I assume you would do that because the external one couldn't maintain full reflux at an acceptable power level.

Since you have the capability to shut off water to the RC, I don't see how it could prevent you from collecting product. It doesn't matter how big the condenser is if you shut off the water flow.

It seems to me that the portion of your RC that is above your takeoff tee is superfluous to the CM function, but it could possibly give you a mode of functionality that might be similar to VM. Is that what you had in mind? Actually, I doubt you would ever get it stabilized. With half the coil below the output arm I can't picture getting the balance between power input and reflux cooling. Maybe it is just superfluous.

I'm afraid I don't understand the statement below, also. Could you elaborate please?
blueduck wrote: Given the fact that water vaporizes at a higher temperature than alcohol I will be good that the reflux condenser is lower then the output tube for this design.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
blueduck
Bootlegger

Post by blueduck »

This statement was in regards to ben stiller's post
[/quote]Given the fact that water vaporizes at a higher temperature than alcohol I will be good that the reflux condenser is lower then the output tube for this design.

ben stiller wrote:Looks like your reflux condenser will sit below the output. This will condense the vapor before the output and not let it produce product. AT least it looks that way from the pics.
the column is a CM using a coldfinger . the coldfinger should keep the temp at the takeoff were I want it during the various stages of the distilling process
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Just asking blueduck, by the statement above, do you think you are going to condense the water vapor before the takeoff and let the alcohol vapor by to collect in your product condenser?
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
blueduck
Bootlegger

Post by blueduck »

Hound Dog wrote:Just asking blueduck, by the statement above, do you think you are going to condense the water vapor before the takeoff and let the alcohol vapor by to collect in your product condenser?
yes
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

blueduck wrote:
Hound Dog wrote:Just asking blueduck, by the statement above, do you think you are going to condense the water vapor before the takeoff and let the alcohol vapor by to collect in your product condenser?
yes
I thought this is where you were going. I would suggest checking into how a reflux column works. You can't control what condenses out of the vapor just like you can't control what boils out of the liquid. Equalizing the column is stacking the different weights of alcohols in the column. The lightest, least dense get forced to the top. It's not a function of what your condenser let's by. If the condenser could do it, we would not futz around with packing. There's more to it.
Using Google Search

blueduck
Bootlegger

Post by blueduck »

um the column is packed with copper mesh I guess in the future I need to be more descriptive.
I figured that the packing in the column was implied.
if you look at the column in this pic you will see that the reflux condenser is not only on the out side but also under the takeoff tube.
I can get 70% running it fast on strip run and 85 % running fast on 2nd run
20150406_171247.jpg
I fail to see how putting the RC in the column would be any less efficent
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Having the condenser in the column is more efficient. I was referring to how alcohols stack during reflux. It is not a matter of condensing certain parts of a vapor and not other parts. This is not possible. The vapor condenses or it does not.

Putting the reflux condenser in the column below the takeoff point and controlling the coolant flow going to it is the basis behind a CM still. That is why one comment by someone that the extra above the takeoff is not needed. If you run full flow of coolant and don't let any vapor out the alcohols would eventually stack in the reflux packing so that the lightest are on top. Decrease your coolant just a bit to let a little vapor escape and it will be what is on the top of the packing, the lightest alcohols. Do this slowly and you will maintain this balance. Just it is the packing distilling and stacking the alcohols not the cooling action of the reflux coil condensing water from it.

What you are doing works, I just didn't know if you knew why it does work. There is a lot in the forums written about operating different stills. The more understanding of the process, the better you will be. :thumbup:
Using Google Search

blueduck
Bootlegger

Post by blueduck »

I see were your coming from hound dog. i do have a understanding of how compressing the fractions works.
i put the RC below the takeoff to get reflux before it because there is no gate valve. Im going to try to control it all with heat and the reflux condenser.
Last edited by blueduck on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Good deal. :thumbup: A lot of guys don't quite get it so that's why I asked. I like the coil/cold finger reflux for a CM instead of using a defleg or cross tubes. It seems like a simple solution. Humbledore has a thread going where he is using stainless gas line for a reflux coil on a CM. I have been watching for others doing something similar as I have been wanting to make a coiled module with stainless gas line to go on top of my column too. It would be the same mechanics as what you have just scaled up to 3".
Using Google Search

blueduck
Bootlegger

Post by blueduck »

say hound dog can you post a link to humbledore's thread I'd like to read it :ebiggrin:
carbohydratesn
Swill Maker

Post by carbohydratesn »

Here it is - http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 87&t=55189

found via https://www.google.com/search?q=site:ht ... edore+CSST" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
blueduck
Bootlegger

Post by blueduck »

well im vary happy with this column :D it compressed the fractions vary well. after the wash was up to temp, I ran full reflux for 40 min then slowly brought the temp up at the take off up to 71 Celsius and collected 300 ml in 5 min before product just stopped coming out. then I brought the temp up again this time at 76 Celsius it started to flow again 180 proof at a steady stream for 1 pint
you could smell that sweet buttery heads. then I started into the goods for 6 pints 175 proof at a steady stream. after that the abv started to drop about 10% a pint so a collected 6 more pints then 1 qrt tails
as the run went on I had to increase the take off temp throughout the run.
carbohydratesn
Swill Maker

Post by carbohydratesn »

Great, congrats! And it'll only get better from here :)
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

First time i saw your condensercoil, i wondered why you choose a needlevalve to adjust the waterflow.
But now i see your still, i get the point in that. :idea:
Do you run any bypass on your pump..??
If not i would assume it could have a hard time banging on full power and not getting much water past the valve.
A really nice rig you made there..it should serve you well for years to come. :thumbup:
How much water flow do you estimate runs through that coil, if you are taking off product..?
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

Sounds great blueduck! Thanks for the update.
blueduck
Bootlegger

Post by blueduck »

How much water flow do you estimate runs through that coil, if you are taking off product..?

good question danespirit ill have to check that out next run. I am going to upgrade the needle valve to 3/8ths In hopes that it will have less restriction. I don't think it absolutely has to be done but im doing it any way.
blueduck
Bootlegger

Post by blueduck »

blueduck wrote:How much water flow do you estimate runs through that coil, if you are taking off product..?

good question danespirit ill have to check that out next run. I am going to upgrade the needle valve to 3/8ths In hopes that it will have less restriction. I don't think it absolutely has to be done but im doing it any way.

Its about 1 pint every 3.25 min . at 185 proof and 79 to 80DC