VM path is not working

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: VM path is not working

Post by skow69 »

I agree with everything you said, DAD. I had to take three showers after making that suggestion. I'm just thinking that lampshade must be in tatters by now from banging against the wall so long. And here is the OP's latest statement of intention.
lampshade wrote:
skow69 wrote:I would bet real green money that your problem is all up on top, within 6 inches of the column. Think about it. Think about symmetry. Think about gravity.
I will build the liebig, when the parts arrive, and measure the RR. Hopefully, it will be close to 1:1. If not, well I can build an inverted Dimroth condenser, and see if that yields a better RR.
That lampshade better be made of titanium cuz the walls ain't getting any softer.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

DAD300 wrote:If it's demoralizing...simplify it!
Notable and quotable. Should be written in the sky.
lampshade
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by lampshade »

skow69 wrote:I agree with everything you said, DAD. I had to take three showers after making that suggestion. I'm just thinking that lampshade must be in tatters by now from banging against the wall so long. And here is the OP's latest statement of intention.
lampshade wrote:
skow69 wrote:I would bet real green money that your problem is all up on top, within 6 inches of the column. Think about it. Think about symmetry. Think about gravity.
I will build the liebig, when the parts arrive, and measure the RR. Hopefully, it will be close to 1:1. If not, well I can build an inverted Dimroth condenser, and see if that yields a better RR.
That lampshade better be made of titanium cuz the walls ain't getting any softer.
I'm sorry if I misunderstand your comment, skow69. I think you are suggesting that I still need to build the liebig. However, I did build the liebig and now my still works wonderfully. My only concern is that I observe a minimum reflux ratio of 0.125 with the VM valve fully open. This is great for a pot still. However, I now need to calibrate my valve to produce a reflux ratio of 1 to produce neutral spirits. And I find it troubling that equal apertures (cross-sectional areas) in the VM and reflux paths do not produce a reflux ratio of 1 per the commonly accepted aperture ratio theory, that I often read about, in multiple threads, for VM stills.

My "complicated" still has allowed me to test, and report about, some of the theories many hold regarding VM operation. That was my reason for making a complicated still. Sadly, I can say that I am no closer to understanding why or how VM sills work. :cry:

Maybe we should build VM stills (or power controllers) that allow measuring reflux ratio :shock: .
In Flanders fields the poppies blow * Between the crosses, row on row, * We are the Dead. Short days ago * We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, * Loved and were loved, and now we lie * In Flanders fields. -- from a WWI poem
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

I'm sorry for not making myself clear. I was definitely not suggesting that you should modify your product condenser. I thought I had stated that twice in the posts just previous. Maybe I need to be more direct.

Let's review. You started out saying that you couldn't get any output from your VM. You now say that putting a plug in the reflux path didn't make any difference, but changing the product condenser raised the output from zero to an RR of 0.125, which is 8 parts output to 1 part reflux. Is that correct? Does it make any sense to you?
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Lampshade..maybe you could post a picture of your modified still..?
I think it will contribute to a better understanding of what you have made.
Well..a few posts back i explained how a VM works..please read this post again.. :wink:
Sometimes it helps to re-read a post.
Hey...you got output on this thing, now it's only a matter of "tuning" it in for full production.
We are here to help you on to achieve that...and..we will succeed..! :wink: