Has anyone got any reviews of this reflux?

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

chr15uk
Novice

Has anyone got any reviews of this reflux?

Post by chr15uk »

Hi folks,im looking for some new plans to make a better still than I currently have and am looking at this....

http://learntomoonshine.com/how-to-make ... made-still" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

seems straight forward with good instructions and materials list.Any faults or possible upgrades needed?I will be using a 9 gallon ss keg with controlled immersion heater.

Im concerned that the top of the column should be a more smoother angle for the condensed gasses to flow in, as it stands there is an access cap for removing the column packing.

Thanks in advance
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Has anyone got any reviews of this reflux?

Post by still_stirrin »

Its a CM column. Old school, but some here use them successfully.

If building, which I highly recommend, there are easier to build and operate (successfully) designs here on the site. Look into threads on the construction forum. Look at the Bokabob, a liquid managed reflux head, look at the concentric LM head (which I currently run), also look at Dad's condenser controlled vapor managed (CCVM) design, an elegant, easiy to build, low parts count and easy to operate head.

Also, you should think "modular" which would give you flexibility in setup for operational variation. A pot still head is great for stripping and pulling traditional whiskeys and rums for full, complex flavors.

Bottomline here, read a while before committing to the build. You'll learn some of the advantages to each design and understand the pitfalls.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

That is an older design and I think if you check out the construction thread you will come up with an easy to build still that will outperform that one and will fit your needs. Take your time and research the different designs. Really depends on what product
that you are looking to produce. Seems lately the consensus is to build a modular column that can serve several purposes. That is
what I did.

posted same time as above.
chr15uk
Novice

Post by chr15uk »

Thanks guys, I will have a better look about.

Im mainly after something that can produce a good tasting neutral with not too much messing around.I see many people striving for perfection, going well out of their way to go from 92% to 94%, im not that worried as it gets diluted down to drink.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

chr15uk wrote:Thanks guys, I will have a better look about.

Im mainly after something that can produce a good tasting neutral with not too much messing around.I see many people striving for perfection, going well out of their way to go from 92% to 94%, im not that worried as it gets diluted down to drink.
If you are just looking for a clean neutral or very light vodka, go with a boka. Very easy to build and run. You mention going out of your way to get from 92% to 94% but a decent boka packed with cheap lava rocks will make it hard to get below 95%. Check out the LM (boka) instructions link in my signature. Go to the New Distillers Reading Lounge and find threads on all the builds.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
dstaines
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dstaines »

The product condenser shown in these blueprints is unnecessarily large. The length is just about right, as is the 1/2" diameter inner vapor path, but there's no need to have 1.5" diameter pipe in the outer jacket. Many here use 3/4" over 1/2". Going bigger doesn't give a meaningful benefit, adds weight and adds a Lot of cost.
I buy all my liquor at the hardware store.