My fist still - 15g keg with Boka... Pot still head later..

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My fist still - 15g keg with Boka... Pot still head late

Post by bitter »

Thanks!
I started 2 of wines sugar wash. I am still going to run the UJSSM but might just do a strip run and then get the 2nd gen on the way.

I have 2 goals Neutral to make gin from and Whiskey.. The boka is for the neutral but though would see how it does in pot mode. I am building a pot still head very soon as that will make a nicer whiskey.

B
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

A Boka should run fine in potmode too..
Just put the head directly on the boiler, column and packing is not needed.
You should be able to takeoff with a nice thin stream.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Danespirit wrote:A Boka should run fine in potmode too..
Just put the head directly on the boiler, column and packing is not needed.
You should be able to takeoff with a nice thin stream.
Right now my head is part of the column.. one in the same as I planned to do a proper potstill. Maybe have time this week I hope.

Raining today so plans are not happening with the ujssm.

B
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Ahh,yes...i forgot how your rig looked like, should have seen the picture on the first site...sorry.
Anyhow...if you remove the packing, it should do the job.
It would benefit from insulation too, regardles running it like a refluxstill or in potstill mode.
Ha..!..rainy days always makes me want to setup my rig and run a batch. :D
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

yes insulation is planned just not happened yet.

B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Well after the blue distillate I was a bit concerned even though it had stopped. So I first did a cleaning with dish soap, Then I followed that with a citric acid/RO bath to rinse everything through. After that I did another cleaning run.....

Well tonight I finally ran my Corn and Rye UjSSM gen 1 was 2 5 gallon batches.

I took 300ml of fores in Boka/LM mode really nice and slow over about 40 minutes. I also noticed my temp was better this time. Last time I was pushing things too hard. This time I dialed things in nicer.

I figured this run I would leave the packing in to see how things tune out.... and run it nice and slow wiht hte valve totally open and controlling heat to get a nice Pencil lead size stream the whole way till near the end.

Once I tossed the fores in with my cleaning run (Will use for another cleaning run or lighting charcoal etc) I cut back the heat and opened the valve up totally.

I did make one mistake... I had 12 500ml Mason jars to collect. along with a 1/2 galon mason jar when I got to the tails and the empty jar from the georgia moon Corn whiskey.

I deiced I was only going to collect in 250ml or 1/2 jar amounts. I might have put a bit more in the Tails jar than needed but I could start to taste a very slight difference in the 12th jar so moved to tails.

So here is a rundown of what I collected:

Fores : 300ml of ~95% (in with cleaning run not to be drank or rerun)

Jar 1 - 250ml (This has some heads but not much, I will recycle this I think )
Jar 2 - 250ml (This will have to see after things air out)
Jar 3 - 250ml (This smelt and tasted very clean)
Jar 10 - 250ml
Jar 11 - 250ml
Jar 12 - 250ml (This is the begining of the tails I think)

Jar 13 - 1250ml (might have been a 1/2 jar or so here still good but rather be on the conservative side)
Jar 14 - 750 ml

So if my guesses on cut pan out after things airing out I will have about 2.2L of product. Proof stil TBD once things cool I will measure.

So all total I collected about 5.3L Till I stopped at 206F

Once I do my cuts I will prof things down to 55% for aging on oak.. Might keep a jar in the middle of the hearts for drinking though, thats TBD

B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Took the % corrected for temperature

All are about 250ml or 1/2 jars

1- 94.5 (Most like in fients jar)
2- 81.3
3- 70.9
4- 66.2
5- 64.5
6- 62.1
7- 59.6
8- 58.4
9- 56.3
10- 54.3
11- 53.6
12- 51.1
13- 46.7 (1250ml) - Will test this once its aired out. Most like be put in next batch as fients pr maybe ago it and see. If I had more jars some this would most likely could have made the cut.
14- 36.5 ( 750ml) - Can see oils floating on this

So if I take jar 2-12 will be about 2.75L @ 61.66% not bad... at all but time will tell on the cuts

B
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Congrats..you did a fine run there.. :thumbup:

To make it a bit easier and spare a jar or two you could try this:
You calculate how much alcohol there should be in your wash before the run.
Collect foreshots, as you did..very slowly.
Let the heads run off..
When you are absolutly sure you are in the hearts, switch to that bigger jug of yours and fill it.
Based on how much alcohol there is left, you can fill another or not.
Switch to smaller jars as the ABV drops to just short of 40%...the tails won't be far away.
That way you minimize the amount of hearts contaminated with tails...at least that is how i do a run.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Thanks,

The problem I was having is with the UJSSM I was not sure how much alcohol there should be as I only took down to the grain. So maybe 2/3 the quantity of each 5G? Thanks for the tip will try that next time is still short on jars.

I had originally planned to collect in full 500ml jars but changed my mind and deviated from the plan. Either way I have a large amount of feints and also will be nice clean cuts for what I have. I think next run I will do full jars and get another set. Since this was my first run was not sure were I would start the larger jar. Will be recycling about 2.5l of 40% into the next batch so will be a lot more product in the end

I started Gen 2 of UJSSM and its boiling away this morning fermenting. So have to think about another run in a week or two on it settles out.

I am questioning now if I should make a pot still head or not. I'm really happy with how the Boka performed in pot still mode.

I smelt this morning the second jar and still smell some heads so looks like 10 1/2 jars will be my haul for this run. I'm good with that .... now just need to get some oak toasted so when I do cuts on sat or sun it can go on oak. I'm leaving things to air out till at least tonight.

One good thing about heads... once I get ride of this migrain I have... just a 1oz drink with heads gives me a nasty headache so for a questionable jar that I am not sure I can take a small drink.... headache.. means gets recycled. I had this issue pretty bad with 40 Creek Whiskey maybe 1/2 oz.. Its not a bad tasting whiskey but my head sure does not like it

B
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Arrgh..Bitter.. that migraine thing can really put one down. :sick:
No need to put this on yourself, i can assure you your nose will tell you the result of heads or not.
This acetone like smell, will be detectable to your nose in even tiny fractions.
I never taste spirit with heads in, i just rub it between my fingers and the acetone smell get very penetrant.
Now..if you are happy with you rig in potmode, there is no need for a potstill head.
You made a wise decicion , collecting into smaller jars.
As you did not yet know the still and it's behavior, it's the best you can do.
The heads from the second jar, won't disapper during the night..i am affraid it's another candidate for recycling.
When you throw the jars with heads and tails into another strippingrun, you'll be surprised about the abv and amount collected. :)
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Thanks head a little better... meds helping.. now just totally drained. I hate blacking out and loosing several hours due to the pain......

I have 10G of second Gen UJSSM going and 10G of Wineos sugar wash fermenting. The Sugar wash is almost there was 1.002 last night.

I did my blending and ended up of about 2l of product (I was surprised how much evaporated ... lost about 5-10% to evaporation over night).. rest is going to be recycled. Now I need wood to age it on.

Edit: The really full 1/2g jar on the left is the keeper. Rest will be recycled. Not even enough space in the keeper for wood so will have to split it up for aging. I also measured it and was 60% so about perfect for aging on wood.

B
Attachments
ujssmJuly2-2015.JPG
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

This is after almost 1 day on oak. Surprised how fast the color is coming.

I am using the method in this thread http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=50348

I should only have 1.5 sticks but I figured go with 2 sticks per L.

Each stick is .75 x .75 x 5" Toasted at 400 for 2 hours and then chard.. A bit lighter char than T-Pee as I like less char.

B
Attachments
On Oak
On Oak
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

yummmmmm.....
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

still_stirrin wrote:yummmmmm.....
ss
Thanks it tasted pretty good white... Can't wait till its aged a couple months or 6... if it lasts that long.

I'm leaving it for 2 weeks before I test it and then again at a month. I might pull the second stick... not sure yet depends on how things do.

I really like the Peppery(Rye), Floral, sweet, Vanilla, apple, clove, and carmal flavors in the Whiskey so time will tell if/when they show up. Next time I think I will only char 1/2 the sticks also.

B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I ran my 10g of Winoes turned out pretty nice. Only problem was the wind caused me some issues with controlling the heat. So from now on will have to do my runs in the garage instead of hid in the back yard.

When in full reflux.. Things would go along nice the the wine would change just enough to make the temp fluctuate a little. I was able to keep on things and make it work but lost about 1/2-1% due to a couple jars have the temp rise up slightly. Not horrible.. but was much nicer when I ran things last time and I could set the heat and forget it once in re-flux and temp stabilized for 45-60 minutes. I could see what was occurring the wind currents were causing the flame on the burner to move around... and also caused a slight temp drop when get a slight gust.

Do not have this problem in pot still mode as applying a lot more heat... In reflux 30k burner sitting pretty low to keep think at 172.9-173.0F (bounced back and forth there every few seconds.)

B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Just testing some UJSSM that has been on oak about 1 month.. good color nice flavors. took off oak now as tasting oaky enough.. some nice sweet coming through also and a little vanilla. Another 5 month this should be pretty nice! Not thinking it will last that long...

B
Attachments
ujssm.jpg
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

The Boka was doing great but now that cold weather has really set in can do anything.... Got a plan to fix that

Ordered 2 5500W 220v Elements (1 wil be controlled and the other will most lik;y be plugged into 120V )

The Still dragon controller kit just arrived. Was a xmas present (arrived a little late but can't blame the vendor... was customs) This will drive the other 220v 5500 watt element.

I also ordered 2 1" NPS nuts and found a local tig welder that is going to weld the nuts in place.

Once all is done I can run in the basement in the winter and garage in the summer.

Just need to make a change to the circuit in the basement going to use the circuit for the air conditioner... Its not used in the winter.

B
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Man, just wait until you're nice and comfy indoors, looking out the window at nasty, cold Crap and just adjusting a little dial... It's a beautiful thing.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Yeah I can't wait for all the parts to get here!

B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Got my parts this week and got my keg parts welded on (Tig)

So now have my keg with 2 5500 220v Elements (Will be using 120V for now till get 220v run in the basement)

Had a local guy weld the nuts for the heating elements in tonight. He did a really nice job! Will get some pics soon.

Still waiting for my heater controller but think can do a cleaning run on the key using using 120 with water vinager to start and check for leaks. Then do another small sac run using my stash of foreshots. Will be nice to be able to run inside and run in the winter!

Can use this double as a steam generator for all grain brewing too!!

B
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

It's what I do. It's what I will be putting my whiskey down with tommorow
I was going to do it today but life interrupted.

I'll be taking pictures of everything to finally show my steam rig.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Look forward to pics might help me get mine setup :)

Yeah life interrupts... but that makes things interesting....

B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

K a pic of the work...
Attachments
keg.JPG
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Very nice
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Thanks, just waiting for controller parts and also need to run 220v to the basement... to be able to use it (might do both into 120v for now on different circuits).

Top element will be for heatup only and most likely stay 120 so extra 1375 watts as both elements are 240v 5500W. Should give about 30 minute heat-up time. so can maybe do some stripping runs in the evening.

With this many watts (possibly 11000W) be nice to have a 4" flute (pipe dreams.... pun intended)... bet could strip fast with that!!!

B
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

bitter wrote:Thanks, just waiting for controller parts and also need to run 220v to the basement... to be able to use it (might do both into 120v for now on different circuits).

Top element will be for heatup only and most likely stay 120 so extra 1375 watts as both elements are 240v 5500W. Should give about 30 minute heat-up time. so can maybe do some stripping runs in the evening.

With this many watts (possibly 11000W) be nice to have a 4" flute (pipe dreams.... pun intended)... bet could strip fast with that!!!

B

Niec dude! I just got screwed by ali express for another month of waiting on parts! (sent wrong part :evil:

11000W ?!?!! wow! haha

The 4" flute sounds pretty sexy ! ;)
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

4" flute is pipe dreams for now...

Only have 5500 watts right now and its enough for the 3" boka.

B