Column build five years in the making......

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

HiString
Novice

Column build five years in the making......

Post by HiString »

This project started close to five years ago but was put on hold after our work factory was destroyed in a fire and time was needed to recover from that, so.........over the last few weeks I've been catching up on research and started my 2" reflux build. What was originally going to be a slant plate boka has evolved into a bit more........my double helix condenser is straight forward but rather than the slant plates I've opted for an alternative design reflux head. Pics show the condenser head with vent/pressure relief tube, the reflux weir and reflux head virtually complete...............more to come as time allows. 8)
Attachments
Condenser Cap.jpg
Reflux Weir.jpg
Reflux Head.jpg
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Column build five years in the making......

Post by Danespirit »

Looks nice.. :thumbup:
What material is used for the gaskets...?
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

And where did you order the sight glass from?
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

You might want to cut the weir down a bit. It looks like it will hold a lot of reflux. The bigger the pool, the more it can smear.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
HiString
Novice

Post by HiString »

Danespirit wrote:Looks nice.. :thumbup:
What material is used for the gaskets...?
Silicone O-rings and 3" sight glass from Still Dragon Australia.

Skow, thanks for the suggestion, as a novice that's something I wasn't aware of.

8)
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I like your homemade flange for holding the sight glass :thumbup:
Just a thought. You can wrap PTFE tape around the silicon seals.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yeah that is not a bad idea shady cause we got to keep it in context. Silicone ain't silicone, there are just thousands of different grades and the commercial distilling industry uses the one that was developed for that purpose and I have every confidence that suppliers like SD use the same. That said peace of mind would come from wrapping them as they are not strickly considered a safe alternative for the reasons mentioned above
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

thecroweater wrote:the commercial distilling industry uses the one that was developed for that purpose and I have every confidence that suppliers like SD use the same.
There is no silicone extra developed for this purpose. We don't have one resistant chart about any type of silicone, which gets not degraded by the foreshots. I think there is no safe silicone and it will never be. Perhaps someday we have a material which is flexible and soft and chemically safe, but I don't think it will be a new type of silicone. Silicone has problems in principle with compounds related to vinegar (acetic acid, ethyl acetate, acetaldehyde).
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

skow69 wrote:You might want to cut the weir down a bit. It looks like it will hold a lot of reflux. The bigger the pool, the more it can smear.
Good catch Skow...
You could drill a few drain holes around the circumference, limiting the amount of distillate pooling... :idea:
Silicone...well..frequently we have new members using it, and the subject has been discussed over and over again in different threads.
Every time the votes are against using it...just saying.
That's why i asked about the gaskets in a previous post.
A strong point is taken in this forum to promote safe distilling, so everyone can enjoy this wonderful hobby without regetrs.
viewforum.php?f=89&start=40
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Just a thought.
HiString, is building something slightly outside the box.
I didn't mean to hijack his post with comments about silicon gaskets. :oops:
His build and ideas are what we need to see and think about.
HiString
Novice

Post by HiString »

shadylane wrote:Just a thought.
HiString, is building something slightly outside the box.
I didn't mean to hijack his post with comments about silicon gaskets. :oops:
His build and ideas are what we need to see and think about.
No problems with your comments, I actually found the opinions about silicon interesting considering it's popularity for TriClover and sight glass seals.

The reflux head design is not original but I don't recall where I originally saw it but it was done in s/steel, anyway, I've a few minor modifications to make to it, some influenced by earlier suggestions here :thumbup: .

I've just cut the 2" for the column and will post pics as it progresses.......it will be modular 3 piece packed section 200mm, 300mm and 500mm for a total packed length of 1 mtr with centering collars at the top of each of the two shorter sections. If I decide I want it taller, then I can add another section in the future.

Converting one of my 9 gal kegs to a boiler will be a whole different challenge :D

8)
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Actually, you can save yourself the trouble of making the centering collars. I know they seem to make sense, but glass columns have shown that there is so much turbulence in there that the collar just gets in the way.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
HiString
Novice

Post by HiString »

Thanks Skow, I've been attempting to visualise what happens in a column in regard to the vapour and the centering collars repeatedly seemed to be a sticking point. I may still do them but make the ID much larger than the recommended 1/2 the column diameter.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

this is a similar design and works quite well
0223141119.jpg
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
HiString
Novice

Post by HiString »

Trial Assembly 01a.jpg
Just a quick update. I've lowered the weir level by drilling a few holes, also ran with centring rings but with a much larger ID. Also made a start on the boiler but that will take a while.

I'll add some pics shortly.
Attachments
Trial assembly 02a.jpg
Christofurry
Novice

Post by Christofurry »

Nice one! Will check out the sight glasses. I can't see your take off tube, where abouts will it be?
Think fast, talk slow.
HiString
Novice

Post by HiString »

Hey Chris,

Hope you got through the recent weather OK.

The product take off is in the base of the reflux head, between the weir and the sight glass. I was originally going to have one either side and had manufactured the copper "Y" section but ultimately opted for just one outlet. Will post updated pics when time and progress allows.

My reasons for going modular were.......compactness for storage, easier cleaning (if and when) necessary, it allows me to use the bottom 200mm section with 1) packing removed, and 2) a suitable "add on" as a pot still. My prime interest had been neutrals for ouzo, but spiced rum is a secondary goal. The unfortunate fact is that I'm already planning a more ambitious and productive build.

Edit: I've also decided to use a liebig as a PC and am currently working on the plumbing for cooling.......where possible, using copper rather than having hoses hanging around all over the place.
Christofurry
Novice

Post by Christofurry »

Yeah weather was pretty rough! All good at our place though, but other parts of Coffs got thumped.

Swell has been pretty spectacular! How did you guys fair?

Though the take off was in there somewhere. I found the local Heatcraft and kirby refrigeration shop today... that place is an amateur still builders dream shop! Heaps of fittings.

Im thinking of making the slant plate and condenser head modular and getting a large 2 inch 90 bend and reducer to make the pot still head.
Think fast, talk slow.
HiString
Novice

Post by HiString »

Christofurry wrote:Yeah weather was pretty rough! All good at our place though, but other parts of Coffs got thumped.

Swell has been pretty spectacular! How did you guys fair?

Though the take off was in there somewhere. I found the local Heatcraft and kirby refrigeration shop today... that place is an amateur still builders dream shop! Heaps of fittings.

Im thinking of making the slant plate and condenser head modular and getting a large 2 inch 90 bend and reducer to make the pot still head.

After the 2007 Pasha Bulker storm and January this year, this time we dodged a bullet..........feel kinda sorry for those down at Collaroy who have their $M homes hanging in mid air after losing so many metres of land to the swell.

Slant plate Boka is the quickest and easiest way to go, I'm just one of those people who like to think around corners and take on a challenge :lol: .

Quite seriously, if back when I resurrected this project, I'd known what I know now I'd probably be building a 4" glasser, something I'm likely to start once the Boka is up and running.

8)