Newbie column build

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Re: Newbie column build

Post by Hound Dog »

Ceramic rasching rings are a quite well known column packing. There is nothing alarming about using them, just a matter of the right size for your power, column size, etc. If you can get your hands on enough to pack a column I would certainly give them a try. A short packed section on top of a few of your plated sections should do great for a neutral vodka if you wanted. A 4 foot packed column over one plate will certainly give a fine vodka. If you have some to experiment with, take advantage.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

rgreen2002 wrote:...this is like stumbling upon the Leprechauns Gold! The barrels and the raschig rings to boot!?!!! What number do you like for the lotto tonight?
Actually I have a shop pool going on for tonight's drawing :lol: I'm working with the powers above me to get a price on a barrel of these!
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Hound Dog wrote:Ceramic rasching rings are a quite well known column packing. There is nothing alarming about using them, just a matter of the right size for your power, column size, etc. If you can get your hands on enough to pack a column I would certainly give them a try. A short packed section on top of a few of your plated sections should do great for a neutral vodka if you wanted. A 4 foot packed column over one plate will certainly give a fine vodka. If you have some to experiment with, take advantage.
I've talked to the managers and am getting a price on an 88lb barrel of these. If I can secure a barrel of these would there be people interested in them? If so I would be happy to take orders for them and ship them out :thumbup:
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Let us know if you can and post in the classified thread. Give a hint here so we will know to look though. :wink:
Using Google Search

MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Hound Dog wrote:Let us know if you can and post in the classified thread. Give a hint here so we will know to look though. :wink:
10-4 no problem!
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Ok so last night I ran my first water run. Got what I think was full reflux in about 45 minutes at 100% throttle. I say "what I think was full reflux" because the sight glasses were so fogged up I could see anything really...if I looked close I could see bubbling on the plates tho!!! It was exciting!! I had the dephleg and condenser being cooled with a 5 gallon bucket of water and a pump...that didn't last long because you could boil a hotdog in the bucket after that 45 minutes :lol: running lines to the water valves I have in the garage today so I get a constant temp water feeding the condensers. Progress!!
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

MX450248 wrote:Got what I think was full reflux in about 45 minutes at 100% throttle. I say "what I think was full reflux" because the sight glasses were so fogged up I could see anything really...
If you didn't have anything coming out of the product condenser then it was full reflux. Good job. Some guy's designs have a hard time knocking back a straight water run. If it does that it will always knock down the vapor from a wash because the boiling point of a wash is lower and the vapor is not as hot. :thumbup:
Using Google Search

MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Hound Dog wrote:
MX450248 wrote:Got what I think was full reflux in about 45 minutes at 100% throttle. I say "what I think was full reflux" because the sight glasses were so fogged up I could see anything really...
If you didn't have anything coming out of the product condenser then it was full reflux. Good job. Some guy's designs have a hard time knocking back a straight water run. If it does that it will always knock down the vapor from a wash because the boiling point of a wash is lower and the vapor is not as hot. :thumbup:
That was my thought thanks HD for the feedback! I'm getting the parts together to tap into my city water line in my garage so I have a constant temp water feeding the condensers...I could use my pool but doing this on the back porch would raise some suspicions :lol: I'm going to do another water run after I get the new water lines hooked up and see how it works then :thumbup:
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

The new water lines won't change much as you had full reflux going on but do as you wish. You will always have vapor fogging the glasses if running water it the boiler need the alcohol in there to clear the glass. That said a 5 gal bucket won't cut it for a run but you will work that out :thumbup:

AC
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

acfixer69 wrote:The new water lines won't change much as you had full reflux going on but do as you wish. You will always have vapor fogging the glasses if running water it the boiler need the alcohol in there to clear the glass. That said a 5 gal bucket won't cut it for a run but you will work that out :thumbup:

AC
I had full reflux until the cooling water got way too hot to touch...once that happened vapor started to pass through. That's why I'm going with the city water to see what it does.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

You still had full reflux when the glasses fogged. Do the vinaigrette. Then some alcohol in it and tell us what happens. :D

AC
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

acfixer69 wrote:You still had full reflux when the glasses fogged. Do the vinaigrette. Then some alcohol in it and tell us what happens. :D

AC
I've tried looking up vinaigrette but I didn't come up with much from the HD Google Search...there were posts that mentioned it but couldn't find the description :oops:
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Hound Dog wrote:Ceramic rasching rings are a quite well known column packing. There is nothing alarming about using them, just a matter of the right size for your power, column size, etc. If you can get your hands on enough to pack a column I would certainly give them a try. A short packed section on top of a few of your plated sections should do great for a neutral vodka if you wanted. A 4 foot packed column over one plate will certainly give a fine vodka. If you have some to experiment with, take advantage.
Now...expanding on your tips here...would say a 3 foot packed column on top of say 3 of my plates give me an out-of-this-world vodka? I see myself needing more 4" copper pipe :problem: unless I can make the packed section out of stainless :thumbup: that I have plenty of 8)
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

MX450248 wrote:
Now...expanding on your tips here...would say a 3 foot packed column on top of say 3 of my plates give me an out-of-this-world vodka? I see myself needing more 4" copper pipe :problem: unless I can make the packed section out of stainless :thumbup: that I have plenty of 8)
I use 4 feet on top of a single plate and it is great. And yes, go for it in sinless if you have it! If you can TIG great! If not, Harris Staybrite8 and liquid flux will do the trick.
Using Google Search

raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I couldn't wait to have a plumbed feed for my dephleg, right up until my wife set off the dishwasher, and my stability went out the window... Or the washing machine, or someone flushed a toilet, etc.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but have a stable feed means having a stable stream. I learned the hard way.
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Hound Dog wrote:
MX450248 wrote:
I use 4 feet on top of a single plate and it is great. And yes, go for it in sinless if you have it! If you can TIG great! If not, Harris Staybrite8 and liquid flux will do the trick.
Oh yes sir...TIG is what I do for a living! I've got more stainless pipe laying around than I know what to do with lol
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

raketemensch wrote:I couldn't wait to have a plumbed feed for my dephleg, right up until my wife set off the dishwasher, and my stability went out the window... Or the washing machine, or someone flushed a toilet, etc.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but have a stable feed means having a stable stream. I learned the hard way.
That is a good point...what pressure does your house water supply run at? Is it city water or well? The pressure to my house is around 55-60 psi on a 6" water main and a 1" feed coming into my house. I know ultimately that a spike or drop at a given faucet in the house is determined by a multitude of things including pipe routes through the walls, pipe size, run length, etc. Just wondering if we are on the same playing field with supply?
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I'm on a well, it produces like mad because I basically live in a swamp. I've never measured the pressure, though.
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

raketemensch wrote:I'm on a well, it produces like mad because I basically live in a swamp. I've never measured the pressure, though.
You should have a pressure tank that should build to around 50psi...if too many things are turned on at once you're pressure will drop below your pump can react to make it up. I grew up on well water and we were always fighting that. With city water I'm hoping to have more steady flow even if the wife starts the washer or something
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Ok so after much searching...the HD forum and Google...I have come to the conclusion that a "vinaigrette" run is made with vinegar to clean the nasties or of the new still. My question...does it have to be pure vinegar or can it be diluted? It takes 6 gallons to cover 2" above my heating element.
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Well water pressure will vary between pump cycles by as much as 15lbs or more. I have installed a simple cheap inline drip irrigation pressure regulator to maintain a constant water pressure of 25lbs. :eugeek:
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

MX450248 wrote:Ok so after much searching...the HD forum and Google...I have come to the conclusion that a "vinaigrette" run is made with vinegar to clean the nasties or of the new still. My question...does it have to be pure vinegar or can it be diluted? It takes 6 gallons to cover 2" above my heating element.
Yes dilute the vinegar. I would dump in 2 gallons ND fill her up and run off a gallon or two.
Using Google Search

MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Hound Dog wrote:
MX450248 wrote:Ok so after much searching...the HD forum and Google...I have come to the conclusion that a "vinaigrette" run is made with vinegar to clean the nasties or of the new still. My question...does it have to be pure vinegar or can it be diluted? It takes 6 gallons to cover 2" above my heating element.
Yes dilute the vinegar. I would dump in 2 gallons ND fill her up and run off a gallon or two.
Awesome thanks HD
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Got the still all hooked up to my water supply today. Here are some pics...

Also insulated the boiler to be more energy efficient.

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Should do fine...yes sir, just fine.

Good looking setup you got there, MX. :thumbup:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

still_stirrin wrote:Should do fine...yes sir, just fine.

Good looking setup you got there, MX. :thumbup:
ss
Thanks ss...looking forward to my vinaigrette run tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my first sugar wash fermenting tomorrow also :thumbup: can't wait!! It's getting exciting!!
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Ok got some video of the vinaigrette run last night. It was a learning experience! Total of 5 videos in all but they aren't that long :D this is the first...let me know your feedback! Now watching the videos I realize that I used some incorrect terms :oops: what can I say I was excited :P

https://youtu.be/kz1C3HREsPk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Last edited by MX450248 on Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

https://youtu.be/g1fIJ323O8o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

https://youtu.be/cu8bJKhOiw8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

https://youtu.be/n-qavEmxqgY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow