Newbie column build

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CaptMorgan
Bootlegger

Re: Newbie column build

Post by CaptMorgan »

Beautiful flute build! Let me know how she runs.

I worked in your area in the mid 90's. Great area for a fisherman!
Lord, give me patience, but give it to me NOW!

2" x 38" Bokakob column head, 15 gallon keg boiler
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

CaptMorgan wrote:Beautiful flute build! Let me know how she runs.

I worked in your area in the mid 90's. Great area for a fisherman!
Thanks Capt!! Yes this is fisherman's paradise with the river and the great lakes! I don't fish but I know plenty of people who do! What did you do here?
Canadian_Ice
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Canadian_Ice »

Incredible craftsmanship, if it works half as good as it looks you'll produce some of the best product you've ever tasted.
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Canadian_Ice wrote:Incredible craftsmanship, if it works half as good as it looks you'll produce some of the best product you've ever tasted.
Thanks sir! I'm super excited to get the rest of the controller parts here. Once they are here I'll start a wash and run water in the mean time! Thanks for all the comments everyone!!
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Shine0n wrote:Also, how did you attach your plates per section? I plan to solder mine to each section with the downcomer set at 3/4" high on the plate. Where did you get 1/2" was enough height on that? I was told 1/2"-3/4" on a 3" plate was sufficient but I would research that a little further. I'm sure you did but if I didn't say something and you didnt, I'd hate to see you tear It down to change after cleaning runs, sac runs ect ect.

A simple way to make your downcomers adjustable is to go to the hardware store and they make a size of copper tubing that is used for splicing standard sized copper. It is a very tight slip fit. I cut my downcomer to 1/4 inch above the plate and made different height rings to snap onto the stub to increase the height to where I wanted it. Just something to think about if you want to play with downcomer height.
P6120002.JPG
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

corene1 wrote:
Shine0n wrote:Also, how did you attach your plates per section? I plan to solder mine to each section with the downcomer set at 3/4" high on the plate. Where did you get 1/2" was enough height on that? I was told 1/2"-3/4" on a 3" plate was sufficient but I would research that a little further. I'm sure you did but if I didn't say something and you didnt, I'd hate to see you tear It down to change after cleaning runs, sac runs ect ect.

A simple way to make your downcomers adjustable is to go to the hardware store and they make a size of copper tubing that is used for splicing standard sized copper. It is a very tight slip fit. I cut my downcomer to 1/4 inch above the plate and made different height rings to snap onto the stub to increase the height to where I wanted it. Just something to think about if you want to play with downcomer height.
P6120002.JPG
I really like what you did there!
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

That is a good idea Corene. :thumbup:
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Been a few days since I posted progress. Went to MIS for the Firekeepers 400 NASCAR race...a blast every year!

This is a picture of the housing that I got for the heating element. I was waiting for the other clamp and I also got a Viton gasket for the boiler side. Its all 304 stainless and also has a drain hole on the outside plate just in case the internal gasket starts to leak...it will drip out the hole and warn of a problem instead of filling the heating element wiring cavity and shorting out 30 amps of 220v power...no bueno!!!
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Just received the last piece I needed for the control box...and that would be the box itself lol. Going to get it all wired up this week and hopefully run some water this weekend!!!
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

That's what I call a quality build... :thumbup:
Also, exceptional craftsmanship.
Welding stainless to copper is a bitch...but you mastered that challenge. :clap:
She will deliver a fine drop once you got her going..
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Danespirit wrote:That's what I call a quality build... :thumbup:
Also, exceptional craftsmanship.
Welding stainless to copper is a bitch...but you mastered that challenge. :clap:
She will deliver a fine drop once you got her going..
Thanks Dane! About to load pictures of what I have so far for the control box!
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Ok...so I got my home projectin' on at work today. This is what I have so far for the control box. I whipped this up in about 2 hours so its about only half done.

The parts that are going into the box. The potentiometer isnt in the picture cause I left it at home today. Digital electrical meter for reading volts, amps, watts, and kWh. Im thinking I can record certain settings and have a good idea where to start each run. That and the potentiometer are going into the front of the box.

30A 600V capable switch. Many mounting ideas went through my head but none of them made it possible to wire the damn thing. Finally came up with this...welded two 1/4-20 bolts to the stainless backing plate...its really sturdy and easy to wire from here.

SSVR installed and the 220V fan installed also. That fan puts out 31 CFM...should be more than plenty I think :D

Fan mount...
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Oh man, to be able to just weld bolts into a controller....
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

raketemensch wrote:Oh man, to be able to just weld bolts into a controller....
I'm fortunate that what I do for a living flows nicely into this hobby lol
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Why not mount the switch through the door so you can switch it without opening the box?
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

skow69 wrote:Why not mount the switch through the door so you can switch it without opening the box?
That was the original plan...I was trying to figure out a way to do that for 2 hours lol. Ultimately my level of OCD got the best of me. Every place I had it mocked up I couldn't wire it. The wiring lugs are on the sides and not on the back like normal. This is a 3 pole switch for wiring 3 phase industrial motors. I ended up with the result you see...since I can weld stainless and I didn't mind having to open the box to turn it on. Gives me a chance to inspect the wiring and box condition each time I start up a run too :thumbup:
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Just run conduit out the side and to a Jbox for the switch. My panel has two switches for the two relays, one for each element.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Well after wiring up the garage and double checking my box wiring I fired it up and gave her a go with just some water. At 4450 watts it only took about 20 minutes to reach about 180 degrees F vapor temp at the boiler exit. Will post more pictures tomorrow and hope to get a water cleaning run done tomorrow!
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Well after a busy holiday weekend...I didn't get a water run done...shocker. I do have some pictures from the other day of my controller and boiler.

This is the display at full throttle.

Here is the thermometer at the boiler stack...only took 20 mins to get from city water temp to 180F!

Also...today...i secured these 15 gallon containers for fermenting mash. They are from the plant I work for and I know exactly what they have had in them since they were new...just little ceramic rings. I washed them completely to get the small amount of dust out that was in them.

They are both marked HDPE and have the 2 in the recycle symbol.

Nice and clean...there have never been liquids in these just ceramic little rings. So a deep clean to get the thin layer of dust out and they are good as new!

The lids overlap and seal nice and tight. An air lock on the top and they should be good to go!

I have the yeast and nutrient ordered for a simple sugar wash to run as a stripping run after the water runs. Cant wait to get it fired up!
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

raketemensch wrote:So, uh... What became of the ceramic rings? :think:
Oh...you know...nothing :P no these rings are used in the process at the plant...these empty ones were just sitting in a back room screaming TAKE US HOME!!
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Got any pics? I bet they'd make great packing....
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

raketemensch wrote:Got any pics? I bet they'd make great packing....
I'll get some pics tomorrow. Now that you mention it they would be perfect for packing as long as they were sitting on a perforated plate. They only measure about 3/16" in outside diameter. I'll get pics of them tomorrow. We use them as fillerin our columns with the active catalyst. These are inert.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Yes, small ceramic rings are good packing. You guys get them by the barrel full?
Using Google Search

MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Hound Dog wrote:Yes, small ceramic rings are good packing. You guys get them by the barrel full?
Yep we get them by the 88lb barrel like this...normally get a few pallets of barrels each year. We may or may not get them this fall...we only replace the ones in the system once a year and they were done in the spring of this year. I'll see what I can do...
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Just found out we are replacing them this fall...October sometime...there's a good chance I can get my mittens on some
MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

This is a picture of the inert ceramic rings...I would imagine...since I'm new to this...that they would work great?? Hopefully the picture loads...trying this on my phone...the intrusive geo-tags are nonexistent.

Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

They look great for a 2 inch column. Might be small for a three inch. What are you guys putting them in and separating at work?
Using Google Search

MX450248
Bootlegger

Post by MX450248 »

Hound Dog wrote:They look great for a 2 inch column. Might be small for a three inch. What are you guys putting them in and separating at work?
They are mixed in with our formaldehyde catalyst in the reactors. These are completely inert filler to take up room that's all...in no way shape or form do these react with anything. That being said...formaldehyde is made by passing methanol vapor over the catalyst to create formaldehyde vapor...which it then goes to the absorber column to get mixed into water...to become formaldehyde liquid. Methanol vapor...a possible byproduct of distilling...would pass through these. Although these are completely inert...and quite frankly harmless...some may find that alarming??
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

...this is like stumbling upon the Leprechauns Gold! The barrels and the raschig rings to boot!?!!! What number do you like for the lotto tonight?
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."