Flute gasket disaster

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Flute gasket disaster

Post by Hank Reardon »

I would say that not all Ptfe gaskets are created equal. I have several sizes from several vendors, and have had little trouble except for one 4" bugger on the bottom of the deflag. I may have used the channel looks to pull it into submission, but you get the point. I had others that performed just fine.

Anyway, when you order and you get a 3 week delivery time, know that you may need to test that particular set of gaskets before you heat.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Hank Reardon wrote:I would say that not all Ptfe gaskets are created equal. I have several sizes from several vendors, and have had little trouble except for one 4" bugger on the bottom of the deflag. I may have used the channel looks to pull it into submission, but you get the point. I had others that performed just fine.

Anyway, when you order and you get a 3 week delivery time, know that you may need to test that particular set of gaskets before you heat.
A great and consistent source up to 4" ptfe gaskets is Glacier Tanks, with quick delivery - Brewers hardware has a great price for gaskets over 6"s
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> A great and consistent source up to 4" ptfe gaskets is Glacier Tanks

+1.

I bought 10 pcs of Galcier's PTFE gaskets for my 2" column and they seat and seal perfectly with moderate tightening of the tri-clamps. I'm still using the same 3 gaskets that I first pulled from that 10 pc order and they look like new. It'll be years before I need to order more.

http://www.glaciertanks.com/TriClamp_Ga ... skets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

FullySilenced wrote::wtf: Or just use a silicone gasket... :shifty: and be done with it ... nothing else from me on the subject
FS
Oh man I so don't want to be the plastic police here but this post without any back up data can not be considered sound advise here. We have a number of rules we all are asked to abide by when posting and comments like this are a breach of rule 8 concerning the use of synthetics in distillation. I'm sure any conclusive data on the subject would be most welcomed by many in the appropriate sub forum but in absence of any this and like comments can not be considered exceptable advise, please guys regardless of your options refrain for forcing us to moderate this stuff :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I f you don't like the idea of plastic don't ever buy anything that has distilled from grain nutral spirits on the lable, because it was stored and shipped in a blue plastic barrel. That method of storage accounts for nearly every vodka, gin, and absinthe on the market today unless it came by train car.

I just wanted to point that fact out, not trying to stir shit up just saying how it done in the Comercial world.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Granted duck and we (the board and admin) fully understand that but the guidelines layed out in the rules we live by are what the guidelines by which we moderate regardless of preference, prejudice or personal opinion. There is scope withing that rule to bring new ideas to the table say in research and theory and with concurring study and data. Such discussions should be welcomed by the majority open minded members. A lot of things go on commercially for economic reasons that are quite different from how most home distilling is conducted but as said synthetics are not up for debate without conclusive relevant data associated directly to the product being discussed. The stand HD takes on this is sometimes misunderstood and seen as unable to change or except new ideas. It is in fact very far from the truth but due to an attitude of safety first some evidence of the safety and reliability of a new idea has to be provided weather its platinum cured silicone, the new thing in neuts or perlite packing. I want to make that point clear ,its why I replied to these posts rather than one of us deleting or moderating them.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I wasn't trying to debate or prove anything, I was just pointing out that if you don't like the idea of drinking booze that was stored in a blue plastic barrel then you need to watch for the gns lable. That's pretty much all vodka. I never said I do, I just pointed out the fact that it's done all the time and your more then likely drinking that alcohol if you order a cocktail at a bar.

Also I wasn't going after your post or you, I was just pointing out a fact that many folks don't know. I know it because I deliver grain nutral spirits on pallets ever week.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Ive said this many times and will repeat it again.Sooner or later and I wish for sooner there will be some undeniable info showing a type plastics that are proven safe for what we do .Untill that happy day rule 8 stands.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
spiff
Swill Maker

Post by spiff »

I do appreciate the good advise given on most things, but on this subject I think the general attitude on this board is wrong. To say that there might be some concern with them at the expense of dealing with a likely problematic alternative would be the proper way to phrase it in my book.. not "don't use silicon! Period!" We're talking about the perspective of new users here. So dealing with a leaky still is better than some trace chemicals possibly leaching? I wouldn't call that safe.

Curious all the PM's I got from people advocating the silicon ones as fine... clearly a result of the silicon taboo on this site.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

spiff wrote:So dealing with a leaky still is better than some trace chemicals possibly leaching?
Noone said, a leaking still would be better. You have to fix both problems of course. The most here managed it. It's proven, that silicone is chemically not stable under our circumstances. Only the effects on health are uncertain.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

spiff wrote:I do appreciate the good advise given on most things, but on this subject I think the general attitude on this board is wrong. To say that there might be some concern with them at the expense of dealing with a likely problematic alternative would be the proper way to phrase it in my book.. not "don't use silicon! Period!" We're talking about the perspective of new users here. So dealing with a leaky still is better than some trace chemicals possibly leaching? I wouldn't call that safe.

Curious all the PM's I got from people advocating the silicon ones as fine... clearly a result of the silicon taboo on this site.
Pm them back and ask for info saying its safe and we can drop the rule other then that its use at your own risk.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

spiff wrote:I do appreciate the good advise given on most things, but on this subject I think the general attitude on this board is wrong. To say that there might be some concern with them at the expense of dealing with a likely problematic alternative would be the proper way to phrase it in my book.. not "don't use silicon! Period!" We're talking about the perspective of new users here. So dealing with a leaky still is better than some trace chemicals possibly leaching? I wouldn't call that safe.

from the glacier tank website -
Silicone Gaskets:

Temperature Range: -58° to +450° F
Acid Resistance: Good
Alkali Resistance: Poor
Petroleum Oil Resistance: Good
Vegetable Oil Resistance: Good
Abrasion Resistance: Excellent
Compression Resistance: Excellent
Ethanol < 10%: Good
Ethanol 10% to 40%: Poor
Ethanold > 40%: Not recommended
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

<rant>

We really don't need another debate about silicone... Rule #8 is in place for good reason... We really don't care what the commercial guys use because most here strive to do better than the commercial guys anyway... We make better cuts and we attempt to avoid synthetics so that our spirits are cleaner and have a lower risk of causing hangovers... Rule #8 doesn't need to change... Use at your own risk is how those choosing to ignore Rule #8 operate, without bad mouthing the rule... If you break the rule in the privacy of your own home that's fine and all on you, just don't mention it here because doing so will be met with resistance...

</rant>
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Just finnished a run on my 4" flute with all PTFE gaskets and NO leaks!!!
spiff
Swill Maker

Post by spiff »

Just wanted to update that wrapping them did the trick. I guess it just needed a smashable component to seal right and the wrap provided that.

Also found answer to my question on where the first home flute builds came from after re-reading the flute talk thread. Just wanted to tip my hat to OD as I enjoy the fruits of his labors.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

spiff wrote:Just wanted to update that wrapping them did the trick. I guess it just needed a smashable component to seal right and the wrap provided that.

Also found answer to my question on where the first home flute builds came from after re-reading the flute talk thread. Just wanted to tip my hat to OD as I enjoy the fruits of his labors.

Congrats Spiff. Glad you got it figured out. Happy to see your Old Dog reference, as it was his thread that enamored me more than 2 years ago.

Hope your product is all you wanted it to be.