Make shift plate idea for reflux column??

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

LuckyAddaam
Novice

Make shift plate idea for reflux column??

Post by LuckyAddaam »

2016-09-15 10.34.16.jpg
2016-09-15 10.34.16.jpg (16.22 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
please excuse the crude doodle but I am at work on my phone...... I assume this section is not just for pot and thumper design if so I am sorry for misplacing this. Anywho.... I was pondering about my reflux colum and how I might make some mods. What if I took 2 inch round pieces of copper and cut one end so they are kind of u shaped. Put one in my column followed by placing a scrubbing (copper or ss whatever) then another copper plate with the flat edge towards the other side of the column and so on and so on. Alternating plates then scrubbie. Nothing would be welded. The plates would be "held" in place by the scrubbies. Anyone have any ideas on how this might or might not improve reflux? O hell any input on the idea at all? I've tried to add a picture if it. Well see if it loaded,
Fishin, playing guitar, and raising my boys, life is good.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Make shift plate idea for reflux column??

Post by der wo »

You would have a similar effect like stuffing the scrubbies a bit more. More redistillations, but more danger of flooding the column (so you have to use less power, what reduces the redistillations again...). Probably it is less effective than more stuffing, because this plates would increase challening.

I think the picture is simplified. Do you have a reflux condenser?
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
LuckyAddaam
Novice

Post by LuckyAddaam »

https://milehidistilling.com/product/ec ... ill-tower/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow this is pretty close to what I have. I couldn't find it in their website anymore. Mine is 1 piece and has a hole on the top of the column to put a cork with a thermometer. I wish they had this one when I was shopping, it's the same cost as ml the one I have now.
Fishin, playing guitar, and raising my boys, life is good.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

At least this one has a reflux condenser. The broad section with the water in and out between packing and output.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Intermittent semi-plates would reduce the crossectional area, causing the vapor to "pattern" as it rises. The condensate would drip to the center (much like centering rings of old), but it is doubtful if it would improve performance. Look up "centering rings" in the Reflux Column forum (not much discussion of reflux columns in this Potstill & Thumper forum).

With your MileHi CM, there are a few improvements which have been tried and reported (in the Reflux forum). If you look to those, perhaps you'll actually learn something.

You do need to do more reading though, because your line of questioning indicates that you haven't done enough yet. Plus, you aren't looking in the "right" place for the questions you're asking, indicating you aren't yet familiar with the website.

I don't mean to be harsh, but you DO have to do your part with this education...otherwise it's just "spoon feeding"...and you won't gain favors that way.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

We've discussed this basic design a time or two over the years and one of our current or past members may have actually attempted a build... I had entertained something similar years ago myself... I seem to recall the concept being more trouble than it was worth... It's close enough to being a plated column that you might as well opt for a plated column, or just stick with a fully packed column and be done with it...

This topic is in fact in the wrong forum... This is a reflux column design, not pot still or thumper related...
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Mods,

Thanks for moving this thread to this forum (from the Potstill & Thumper forum). Hopefully, the OP can get better attention here with his questions.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K