3" CCVM with lava rock report

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chroi
Swill Maker

3" CCVM with lava rock report

Post by Chroi »

Finally got to do my sac run on a 3" condenser controlled vapor management a la DAD300 and others:

15 gal keg charged with 15% low wines/feints

5000w element

2-3" adapter from keg

3"x40" copper section packed with dime/nickel size black lava rock, copper scrubbie at each end of packing

Stainless 3" T and 3" elbow leading to 2" all copper shotgun product condenser

1/2" Stainless gas line reflux condenser

Started full blast at 5kW. Listened to what I assume is the much discussed "aquatic environment" climb column. Lots of gurgling/bubbling etc. Brand new experience for me, ive run potstills 98% of the time. When I started to get nervous about an overflow into the takeoff, I reduced power to about 3700w. Set cooling water so it exited the condenser hot (forgot to take actual temp, call it 130F) Equalized for less than 10 min andd started inching condenser up. Had azeo from the first drop, continued increasing takeoff to 1 gal/hour. Maintained purity for a quart, then shutdown.

I think some glass is in my future but overall I'm very pleased and excited. Thinking about trying lava rock? Go for it.....

Thanks to all who paved the way with the new generation of packed columns.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Re: 3" CCVM with lava rock report

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Good work Chroi. That's very good numbers for a first run. Time to get yourself some wash fermented and get that thing producing! Some pictures of your setup would be awesome.

Just curious how you cleaned your lava rock and how long it took you to do it? I'll be curious to hear your future success.
Chroi
Swill Maker

Post by Chroi »

Rinsed in hot water until the water was clear, then boiled, rinsed again 2-3 more times.

I'm very pleased, was expecting to add another 20" packed section.

I'll try and get pics, camera on phone is broken but it doesn't look like much, certainly nothing like some of the builds on here.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Did you maintain azeo at the 1gal/hr rate? I think that's what you meant just wanted to confirm.
Chroi
Swill Maker

Post by Chroi »

Yup. Need to get a narrow range alcometer so I can really see the nuances at higher proof, I have a standard 0-200 proof one and it works fine but 94vs95vs95.5 is hard to judge
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Chroi wrote:Yup. Need to get a narrow range alcometer so I can really see the nuances at higher proof, I have a standard 0-200 proof one and it works fine but 94vs95vs95.5 is hard to judge
Add temp corrections and ain't that the truth
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

thecroweater wrote:
Chroi wrote:Yup. Need to get a narrow range alcometer so I can really see the nuances at higher proof, I have a standard 0-200 proof one and it works fine but 94vs95vs95.5 is hard to judge
Add temp corrections and ain't that the truth

I've never seen one, do they make narrow range alcometers?
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

For sure they do but I have only seen them used in commercial spirit safes so they'd gov approved and costly, I don't know if ya can get them cheap on line
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Chroi
Swill Maker

Post by Chroi »

Saw one on eBay the other day for like $20, the whole unit measured between 90-100% so small increments were easily distinguished.

No idea how accurate it really was, but seemed interesting.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I've order this set from ebay, and should be in next week or I hope so.. with let you know how they work out.. a friend has a set and said they work good but I've not work with them, yet..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162248196751?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein