Questions after first run of new flute

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

yzracer35
Novice

Questions after first run of new flute

Post by yzracer35 »

I just recently completed a 4" three perforated plate build. During the vinegar run a couple of things came up that I would like some advise on. But first some build specs, while I try to get a pic loaded. like I said 4" three plate, 4"x5" RC with seven 1/2" tubes. After RC, it tapers to 2" through the PC. Pretty basic, nothing out of the ordinary. So on to my questions.

1st- All plates stacked nicely, but bottom plate level was always just below my down comer over flow. Witch is 3/4" with a 1" cap solder to the end. What was happening was, I was getting vapor coming up my down comer and never could get it to fill up to seal up. So do I change the down comer to a J style trap or try again with my sacrificial run? I'm under the impression things will act a little differently with an alcohol run.

2nd- A plumbing question. It's my under standing that the water flow should be opposite the vapor flow in the RC. Is that Correct?

3rd- Had a small problem with the outlet water on the RC it was very hot and stated to melt and balloon out the clear pvc tubing I was using. I had the cold water coming in from a domestic line crimped directly to the RC and the out side had a 4" pcs of clear tubing crimped directly to the RC and a ball valve. I have since ordered a needle valve and am going to extend some copper pipe away from the RC before I attach the clear tubing. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help. I hope I was clear enough with my questions. I'm going to work on getting pics up soon.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Questions after first run of new flute

Post by rgreen2002 »

Hey yzracer35.... welcome to the wonderful Flute club where everything you thought you knew about distilling will be mocked and confuse the crap out of you :mrgreen:

I'm kidding...somewhat... The flute is a different animal than both my pot and Boka from previous lifetimes. It takes a little while to get the hang of it.

I would be remiss not to remind you to look through the "Flute Talk" section so.... there it is.

I also run a 4" flute. A very similar setup to yours is what is sounds like. My bottom plate is always the least loaded. Sounds very similar to your experience so I wouldn't worry too much. All my downcomers are straight:
Similar to a cap...
Similar to a cap...
and I don't seem to have an issue. If the plate level is below the level of the downcomer it sounds like the downcomer height is a little high.... A picture or some more dimensions could help here.

Plumbing is a debate.... I think it is split regarding the RC water flow.... I have run both with and against the vapor path with minimal difference. The link below is for the Still Dragon Dash but a good "manual" for any flute:

https://www.stilldragon.org/uploads/man ... 140116.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

The RC outflow water temp is related to the temp it contacts in the RC (I know....no revelation there). The solution is to either decrease the overall power to the system (decreasing the heat in the RC) or increase the rate of flow through the RC (thus increasing the rate of heat dissipation). I would hope someone will come along soon and physics this explanation up a bit but for now, that's what I got.

I have a needle valve for the RC and PC outflows and adjust it accordingly... it's a science all unto itself...

Good Luck, Be Safe...
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Questions after first run of new flute

Post by bentstick »

:thumbup: Good post rgreen,only thing I can possibly add is your lower plate may take more time to fill in reflux mode,ya can always add more heat to run it harder until the J is filled then back down to runnin speed,if you dont have it cranked to full power yet!
It is what you make it