4" flute

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lyonsie
Swill Maker

4" flute

Post by Lyonsie »

Im going to start a thread because im bound to have questions and i don't want to hijack anybody elses.
Anyway started building my sieve plates for this. Dephlagmater is done already. I expect this to take a while as i don't have access to a shop. Pictures show bottom unit without j trap or ferrules fitted yet. But all units will be identical otherwise. I plan on making five.
The center hole that is then filled in in the next pic was used to put the plate on a drill to file it to a perfect circle.
The amount of tools i wish i had but i don't. :lol:
Attachments
20170303_232822-450x800.jpg
20170303_232749-450x800.jpg
20170303_225607-450x800.jpg
20170303_221434-450x800.jpg
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
googe
retired

Re: 4" flute

Post by googe »

Nice so far mate :thumbup: how tall are the modules?, they look shortish?.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Cheers pal. There's a ferrule to go on both ends of that. I really should have just built one single unit and two doubles as i still could have soldered this and it would have gave me the same options with less expence. Hindsight is wonderful, i had the 4" cut before i copped this. :x
There's 100mm between the plates. The downcomers are 110mm long with 10mm of that above the plate.

googe
retired

Post by googe »

Cool, good height. Lol we all change our minds after the fact, if your like most still builders, it won't be your last! Lol. How will your plates sit in the modules?, I notices the plate slides inside the column, not in the ferrule clamping area?.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Sweet. Looking forward to how you do this.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

@ googe the plates are getting permanently soldered in. (gotta thank Swedish pride for getting me on the right track with the flux.) My 4" is not seamless so not a hope of me being able to make a removable tree that would seal well.
@ yak been watching yours well done, if i can manage anything like it ill be delighted

yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Are you doing any ss to copper soldering?
Thanks for the compliment. But truth be told it took all I have learned just to cobble that together I already want to rip it apart to change things lol. I need to upgrade my elements. I'm under powered at the moment.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Yep the plates are copper and the column is stainless. Iv practiced on scrap. The ferrules are getting welded on first in case it melts the soldering. (Lesson learned from dephlag) im hoping to have at least two units finished this week. Hopefully it will become clearer.

Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Well iv been busy with family ect so im not managing to get as much time as id like to spend on this, (i fucking knew this was gonna take ages) anyway i finally got the hole saw out and drilled four units.
I also beveled 2 of the 2" sight glass ferrules. I also have a temporary dick spout done, although its not pictured because its on the still at the minute.
Its not much progress but all went well and im well chuffed. Hopefully get my plates finished and the other two sight glasses done by the weekend.
20170320_235744-450x800.jpg