Stop using Elbows and go with a "T" - CCVM Build

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Stop using Elbows and go with a "T" - CCVM Build

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

So I have been purely a pot stiller up until now. Pretty much been making bourbon exclusively for a few years, and have some rum aging. I've made panty dropper in the past from ujssm, but ehh.

So, I was helping a buddy, panikry, gather parts for his future build. He had some gin at new years, and is now all the rage at his house :thumbup: . But neither one of us had a way to make nuetral except the 3 to 4 times through a pot still. We wanted to expand, and I have a dream to one day have a completely stocked bar with nothing but my own spirits. Anyways. So, there was one piece that he had not yet pulled the trigger on, a 2" T fitting. I knew a place, and went picked it up.

So I'm sitting there that night doing a run, and it occurred to me. With my tall column, that T was the only difference between my pot still, and a pot still that also does nuetral, a CCVM. So, sorry panikry, I'll get you another T :lolno: .

Below is my build, but seriously, I wish I had known that for an extra 10 bucks, I could have built my pot still with a T instead of an elbow. I just cap the top, and it's the same potstill, just more sleek. And, when I was ready down the line for nuetral, I just fill with lava rock and jam in a condenser. Boom. Nuetral.

If you're building a pot still, you should really consider putting a T on it and capping it, even if you aren't looking for nuetral right now. That way down the line when you're ready for the next thing, it's already there. And it is no more work than putting on the elbow.

I went from this
img20160831_204604.jpg
To this
img20170318_114801.jpg
It took me longer to dismantle the old 90, which now looks like this :oops:
img20170318_132916.jpg
Than to put on the T like this
img20170318_132948.jpg
Quickly threw on a ferrule at the top ( with some extention I hacked off of the dismantle), and put my other 90 back on.
img20170318_133014.jpg
And now my riser is now a column.
img20170318_133052.jpg
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: Stop using Elbows and go with a "T" - CCVM Build

Full set up
img20170318_133136.jpg
Pot Still
img20170318_133359.jpg
Reflux Nuetral Beast
img20170318_133432.jpg
30 seconds to wind the coil for test
img20170318_133214.jpg
Then a few more minutes to get it more tightly wound and with scrubbies
img20170318_133241.jpg
And, I took this opportunity to spot solder a couple small lengths of 8 Guage wire inside the base of my column. Scrubby goes first (and stays there), then on top goes 3 feet of lava rock.
img20170318_133339.jpg
Truly, it's s small change that opens up so many doors. :thumbup: :clap:
Last edited by ShineonCrazyDiamond on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

This might replace the boca as the easiest still to build. Great pictures to show how to build it. If you can't solder, you could build it all with ss spools and tri clamps.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Funny, I've been looking at the Dad300 thread/ccvm threads lately to figure out if I could do the same. I made a T on top of my pot just like MCH. Has a 3/4" output, which I think limits things for a ccvm. My column is also not as tall, so I'm not sure it would work well.

I was wondering if anyone else had done this. Thanks for sharing! Let us know how it works.

SR
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

bluefish_dist wrote:This might replace the boca as the easiest still to build. Great pictures to show how to build it. If you can't solder, you could build it all with ss spools and tri clamps.
I agree, dead simple to build and run. I prefer to use spools and tri-clamps to keep it modular. This way I can change configurations or re-purpose parts for other things.
ShineRunner wrote:Funny, I've been looking at the Dad300 thread/ccvm threads lately to figure out if I could do the same. I made a T on top of my pot just like MCH. Has a 3/4" output, which I think limits things for a ccvm. My column is also not as tall, so I'm not sure it would work well.

I was wondering if anyone else had done this. Thanks for sharing! Let us know how it works.

SR
Having a smaller output than your column/reflux tee will limit the minimum reflux ratio you can achieve. It is just like having a conventional VM with a valve that goes from closed to partially closed.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Yeppers, been there done that. Sometimes the simple things are sooo obvious we miss em". You done good ShineOn. You now have the best of both worlds.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Great tip! I have ended up with the same configuration on my journey on the completely modular path; my configuration has a shotgun PC. For neutrals I developed from CM - VM - CCVM :thumbup:
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Oh, for convenient sourcing, and my future reference :shifty: . I spent alot of time trying to find 1) bare, uncoated gas line, and 2) a good length of 3/8" with connections (3/8 is what you want for 2" pipe).

This company was awesome, it was at my door in 36 hours! They are located in Jersey, however. So that may contribute to my quick delivery. Anyways, I highly recommend. Here is your condensor connection.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/64180286/l ... l-hardware" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

:thumbup:
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Yep, it's just that easy. I built a buddy's still just like this so he can switch from pot to CCVM in a flash.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Oh, for convenient sourcing, and my future reference :shifty: . I spent alot of time trying to find 1) bare, uncoated gas line, and 2) a good length of 3/8" with connections (3/8 is what you want for 2" pipe).

This company was awesome, it was at my door in 36 hours! They are located in Jersey, however. So that may contribute to my quick delivery. Anyways, I highly recommend. Here is your condensor connection.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/64180286/l ... l-hardware" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

:thumbup:
You can also get it from Amazon (prime eligible) here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00103W78O
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

my pot still AND if you flip it over and add a RC coil it is the top half of my CCVM
image.jpeg
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Well. 3 times running it to finally learn how to drive it.
img20170404_181512.jpg
We were still pulling azeo 12 jars into the tails when we finally pulled the run. 11 gallon charge in 6 hours or so. I am incredibly happy with the performance and versatility of this easy build. :thumbup:
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Well. 3 times running it to finally learn how to drive it.
Oh, and there isn't a single sight glass or thermometer.

We learned the good old fashion way by listening to her sounds and feeling where she gets hot. You'll know when you're doing it right. No need to stop and ask :thumbup:
Wiz of Oz
Bootlegger

Post by Wiz of Oz »

ShineOn you have me very intrigued!

I very recently went through the agonizing process of making a neutral (All Bran) with my pot still. I don't run a keg, I have a 14 gallon stock pot run over a propane burner, 3 ft column to the 90 degree elbow, over to my 36" liebig condensor. A total of 60 gallons of wash, stripped and triple distilled with good cuts left me with a whopping 2 gallons of 44%abv All Bran neutral! I lost count of how many hours that process took but it was far too many!

Are you cool if I PM you for more details on where you got some of your stuff, etc?

Cheers
Wiz
All new distillers please read Crankys Spoon Feeding
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Well of course you can pm me, I'd love to help! Unless you're bashful, though, it would be great to ask whatever you like here. You never know who you would be helping that would come along with the same questions. Either way is fine though. :thumbup:
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

and I finally got my gin! haha, only took us 4 months.
Wiz of Oz
Bootlegger

Post by Wiz of Oz »

I am fine with asking the questions here, aside from looking like I dont know anything, perhaps I am a little bashful, lol!

1. What length was that uncoated 3/8 gas line that you bought? How long is your condenser when finished? That will determine how much 2 " pipe to add on top of the T I'm assuming.
2. Are you just using stainless scrubbies you buy at the grocery store?
3. Where did you buy your ferrule ( I've read about them being a bit of bugger to put in), cap and tri clamps?
4. Lava rock? As in the lava rock you buy for a BBQ?
5. Is your Keg and column wrapped in the reflective foil stuff you get at Home Depot?

I have more questions on operation but lets start there. Thanks in advance for taking the time to share this info with me and the rest of those interested?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Wiz of Oz wrote:I am fine with asking the questions here, aside from looking like I dont know anything, perhaps I am a little bashful, lol!

1. What length was that uncoated 3/8 gas line that you bought? 70". I believe the link has the right one selected. How long is your condenser when finished? That will determine how much 2 " pipe to add on top of the T I'm assuming. 8" of straight coil. It has another 4"of lead before the turns on the ends of the hookups. So a foot of reach. I think I put a 6 inch or so piece on top. Nothing really scientific, just hacked off a bit from scrap.
2. Are you just using stainless scrubbies you buy at the grocery store? ya have to ask panickry. He gave them to me. They are ss, but not sure where from.
3. Where did you buy your ferrule ( I've read about them being a bit of bugger to put in), cap and tri clamps?You can find tons of sources, but for ease I recommend Brewhardware.com. Really great guy, and local for me. For the most part I go here.
https://www.brewhardware.com/ProductDet ... ode=TC2MWF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/tc2bc.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Really, everything you need is here

4. Lava rock? As in the lava rock you buy for a BBQ? I used this, but yes, just lava rock.. 12 lbs is way more than you need, but this came already perfectly sized. You only need 2 liters for 2" x 36". Couple lbs, really.
5. Is your Keg and column wrapped in the reflective foil stuff you get at Home Depot? Yep! Refletix. Will never use anything else!

I have more questions on operation but lets start there. Thanks in advance for taking the time to share this info with me and the rest of those interested?
casper the Irish
Swill Maker

Post by casper the Irish »

Wiz of Oz wrote: 1. What length was that uncoated 3/8 gas line that you bought? How long is your condenser when finished?

1/2" is also good. 3ft is enough for EACH coil, the RC and then the PC. I sourced on eBay from Italy sold as motorbike fuel line $5 per metre, but the yellow coated gas pipe is the same thing at $8 per metre.

2. Are you just using stainless scrubbies you buy at the grocery store?
Be careful, some SS scrubbies have sponge centres and are chrome coated. The irregular ones are SS

3. Where did you buy your ferrule ( I've read about them being a bit of bugger to put in), cap and tri clamps?
Dairy hardware supplier. Why not weld where possible? I retain just one clamp to add the SS Liebig. I also have stuffed my lyne arm with copper mesh for de-sulphuring the vapours.

4. Lava rock? As in the lava rock you buy for a BBQ?
Lava rock is very absorbent/porous so is hard to keep clean. And it needs to be crushed. Small sieved beach stones or Glass pellet marbles are just as cheap if not better
Wiz of Oz
Bootlegger

Post by Wiz of Oz »

Hey Shine On! Thanks for the quick reply and I apologize for not responding sooner. I got sick with some sort of norovirus that knocked my on my ass for almost two weeks!

Thanks for answering all of my questions on sourcing the required parts for the modification. Seems like this is going to be the easiest way to modify my pot still. I did discover that my riser is only 21" tall so I may need to change that and make it longer.

Now I see you stated that it took you around 3 times running it to get the hang of how it works. I would love a more detailed explanation, if you dont mind, on a typical neutral spirit run. Once you've got her up to boiling how do you know how long to reflux it for? This may seem like a silly questions but how do you prevent the spirit from entering and going straight into your shot gun? Did you just split/tee your water supply so you can feed the top coil condensor and shot gun at the same time for cooling purposes?

I'm sure that there is something else I am missing but that is a good start.

Thanks again Shine On

Cheers
Wiz
casper the Irish
Swill Maker

Post by casper the Irish »

A T yes. Or a Y
My 10 gal cooking pot lid has a 3" SS Y capped on 1 side, lyne on the other. The lyne is a 90° then 45°. These are stuffed with copper mesh rolled tight. Clamped to the lyne is a 3">1.5" reducer to 24" long SS PC
Into the PC I stuffed a twisted 1/2" csst about 50" long but overall this could have been shorter.

I bought the SS tube from a dairy supplier and had it welded for me by a local fabricator. The csst body was from a motorbike supplier it is fuel line. But gas line with yellow plastic cover from any plumber supplier will fo. Peel off the yellow covering.

I strip on this pot. Strip rum, whiskey, wheat, sugar.
I strip down to below 20%. I strip fast for as long as I like the taste. In the case of barley and corn that is to <1%

I brew 100-200l or 25-50gal at a time so my 36l pot is on the stove all day. Every batch gets 20l of 8% beer plus 5+l low wines so what I end up with is 20l high wines and 25l low wines.

That fills my 55l keg.
The keg has a 40 " SS column with an open T on top. On to this I can fit the PC from my pot still.

For whiskey and rum it helps to run heads and tails over and over again. For vodka or gin, only hearts will do. All heads and tails from sugar/vodka strip and spirit run are kept aside for further treatment. Those can be mixed with any other feints and cleaned for vodka, or run as low wines to whiskey or rum.

So for clean vodka and for gin base, that's a strip, followed by a reflux on a T, hearts only, 2 runs. For gin, steep herbs in the spirit product, then do a third run.