4" valved column also volcanic packing??

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Northwest1
Novice

4" valved column also volcanic packing??

Post by Northwest1 »

Hi I'm new on the forum although i have read it quite a lot over the past few years the reason for joining was to quiz a few of you on building a valved column..... Untill last night i when i stopped up very late reading about packing 4inch columns with volcanic rock... This now bring up a whole new line of questions hahah.

I would like to build a 4" column to make neutral spirit no flavour carried through (i read plates are not to good for this unless you have quite a few) and also have quite a fast product take off.

So all this in mind I'm thinking i could still do 2 or 3 plates at the bottom (i do want to have a go at making the plates) then have the volcanic rock above say 500mm worth then the copper mesh for 100mm the another 100mm gap to the shotgun condenser? Any thoughts would be appreciated

Also would this rock work?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/282417115829?_t ... mwBanner=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Thanks hope to hear back
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Re: 4" valved column also volcanic packing??

Post by bluefish_dist »

That should work. I have run bubble balls (sieve or bubble caps) under packed columns with good luck.
I know many claim to pull azeo at high rates with shortish columns, but I have never been able to duplicate those results. Not sure if it's altitude relateded or something else. My column won't pull azeo at high takeoff, but it will run 190+ With 3 sieve plates and 60" packed with stainless steel.
When I ran a 2" I ran 50" of packed over a single 4" plate and had a hard time getting 190+. The moral for me is more packed length for higher proof. A plate or 3 underneath is nice to have to watch the loading on the column. It makes it much easier to see if you are starting to flood or when the column is starting to work. Having hot wash raining down from the top of your column is no fun.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Northwest1
Novice

Post by Northwest1 »

made a start tonight.. the packed column is 800mm long then the plated bit is 400mm log the plates are spaced 100mm so would you have the first plate at the top or have it 100mm down or will it not make much difference? all the sizes were kind of pre determined :) cough cough "what i had lying around" so I'm hoping i can get away with the 800mm for the packed bit :/

as shown the copper rivets are going to sit in the counter sunk bit, they are 5mm with a 6mm hole (might need a bigger hole??) also what do you think for the amount of "valves"? .. The downcomers are 22mm id and I'm going to put a threaded bar through the 3 plates.
Attachments
17837553_10208827542_XnOwd.jpg
17820454_10208827541_mZDmH.jpg
17836990_10208827541_KmuPy.jpg
Northwest1
Novice

Post by Northwest1 »

bluefish_dist wrote:That should work. I have run bubble balls (sieve or bubble caps) under packed columns with good luck.
I know many claim to pull azeo at high rates with shortish columns, but I have never been able to duplicate those results. Not sure if it's altitude relateded or something else. My column won't pull azeo at high takeoff, but it will run 190+ With 3 sieve plates and 60" packed with stainless steel.
When I ran a 2" I ran 50" of packed over a single 4" plate and had a hard time getting 190+. The moral for me is more packed length for higher proof. A plate or 3 underneath is nice to have to watch the loading on the column. It makes it much easier to see if you are starting to flood or when the column is starting to work. Having hot wash raining down from the top of your column is no fun.
thanks for the reply! by sieve do you mean like perforated plates? was the column with 60" packed length a 2" or 4" column? hoping that ill be somewhere near with the 800mm as thats what i have in stock haha :) i can always add another section at a later date as I'm using try clamps at the top.
Northwest1
Novice

Post by Northwest1 »

Stainless tree [img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201704 ... d84182.jpg[/img]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: 4

Post by still_stirrin »

Northwest1 wrote:Stainless tree [https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201704 ... d84182.jpg]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
Picture never made it to the website. Tapatalk is the "great deceiver". Turn it off for better results.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Northwest1 wrote:
bluefish_dist wrote:That should work. I have run bubble balls (sieve or bubble caps) under packed columns with good luck.
thanks for the reply! by sieve do you mean like perforated plates? was the column with 60" packed length a 2" or 4" column? hoping that ill be somewhere near with the 800mm as thats what i have in stock haha :) i can always add another section at a later date as I'm using try clamps at the top.
Yes a sieve plate is a perforated plate. I like them since they are cheaper and can handle more power. 60" packed is on a 4". Going to try 72" shortly to see if I can run it faster.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051