How many plates equals a pot still and thumper??

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DVW70
Site Donor
Site Donor

How many plates equals a pot still and thumper??

Post by DVW70 »

So the 30 gallon pot has been converted to boiler/fermenter/still with a custom made lid. I would post but I struggle with file size....

Anyway. In an effort to reduce run time I'm looking to add either peforated or bubble plates to provide a single run for all grain recipes.

My present set up give me 57% starting run with a 9% mash. It has to be run again better seperation.

I would like to reduce this second distillation, and preserve flavor.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: How many plates equals a pot still and thumper??

Post by acfixer69 »

Pot and thumper is considered 1-1/2 distill's 1 plate is 1 distill so do the math from there.

AC
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I would have though that would have been considered two distillation phases ?
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

hehehe I know what you are saying, but some say there is no difference between a bubble cap plate and a sieve plate. 1 is 1 nope I guess :shock: :D

AC
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

acfixer69 wrote:Pot and thumper is considered 1-1/2 distill's 1 plate is 1 distill so do the math from there.

AC
+1 Ac

Now 30 gal would be roughly 113 L.
I'd say a perfect match for a 3" or 4" flute/plated column.
How many plates you should have in there, depends on the separation you want.
Your considerations should include the different products you like to run in the still.
There are a lot of threads in here regarding plated columns, and of course the epic flute thread.
Whatever you do...build modular..you won't regret doing so.
It will give you a whole new set of options. Btw...one of them could be a hybrid still for neutral (packed column on top of the plates). :idea:
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

For me I like 3 plates if I am taking off in the 160-170 range and 2 plates for the 140-160 range. With a 30 gallon, I would do a 4" to get your still run down to a reasonable time. If you want a neutral, can't go wrong with 6 ft of packed 4".

I prefer sieve plates for speed and cost. Caps work fine, but I found they flooded sooner than sieve plates.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

bluefish_dist wrote:For me I like 3 plates if I am taking off in the 160-170 range and 2 plates for the 140-160 range. With a 30 gallon, I would do a 4" to get your still run down to a reasonable time. If you want a neutral, can't go wrong with 6 ft of packed 4".

I prefer sieve plates for speed and cost. Caps work fine, but I found they flooded sooner than sieve plates.
6` are 1828 mm... :esurprised:
I'd consider the weight of a 4" column that long... How much liquid will be trapped in the packing (adding further weight, too)..?
Besides, if one gets past 1200-1500 mm of length, the additional length won't do much for you when we speak neutral.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I use stainless scrubbies and have a strut to help stabilize the column. I run 6 ft of packed over one plate on a keg still. From my testing I do need the full 6 ft to make a 190 plus proof neutral at a decent takeoff rate (1 gal/hr). I would run even more if I could but I am height limited.
Other packings may be more efficient, but I have not done that test yet.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051