plate column vs packed column

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

plate column vs packed column

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

it is my understanding that a plate is equaled to a distillation,
but in a packed column,how much packing is equalled to a distillation
i have looked around but can`t seem to find a definate answer.
figured someone here will be able to answer
my reason is i would like to build a 3 inch column but can`t decide whether to go
with plates or just go with packing
thnx
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Re: plate column vs packed column

Post by bluefish_dist »

What you are searching for is the HETP. For stainless steel scrubbers it is about 4". From my testing if you want a neutral, packed column can do a better job for the same height since most plates are taller than 4", with the stilldragon ones about 6".

Some claim that marbles and lava rocks offer a better HETP which give packed columns a further advantage. If you want to spend the money SPP can provide even better performance. IMHO plates are best used for flavored spirits, whiskey, rum, etc. packed column for neutrals.
Last edited by bluefish_dist on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

HETP stands of Height Equivalent of a Theoretical Plate

It's the amount of packing that you need to get the same ABV as compared to a plate .
If you have a 6 plate column the you need 6 HETPs worth of packed column to achieve the same ABV

A good place to read about it is on the parent site . Its on the Task bar at the top of the forum . This bit should help but there is a whole lot more .http://homedistiller.org/theory/refluxdesign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Thing to understand is that its comparing the ABV that one would get if one compared a Plate to a packed column with a particular type of packing . .....What the real difference is is that a plated column also carries over flavour that a packed column strips out .
So you might Run Rum through a 4 Plate column and end up with 92% ABV full flavoured Rum
Run it through a Packed column with the same HETP and end up with 92% ABV and its almost like a baccardi with all the flavour stripped out ....even though its the same ABV .

This is the difference between the two :thumbup:
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Duke, the parent site also has a few HEPT calculators in the "Calcs" section that you can use to estimate the plate equilivent of various types of packing.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

dukethebeagle120 wrote:it is my understanding that a plate is equaled to a distillation
Kinda sort of :lol:
The theory says a plate equals 1 distillation
And that's accurate based on the alcohol increase.
But 1 plate doesn't equal a distillation for flavor

dukethebeagle120 wrote: ...my reason is I would like to build a 3 inch column but can`t decide whether to go
with plates or just go with packing
thnx
Go with the packed column :thumbup:
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I would ask what do you want to do with your column? Make a neutral or ?

Odin has posted some interesting thoughts on packed vs plates and is a big fan of packed (as I read it). I personally have never run any short packed columns to see how they compare to plates for taste. I think this is an area for more testing. I don't know anyone who runs really short packed columns like 8-12" which would be equal to 2-3 plates. Although I did run some cfw once in that configuration, I have not done it again to compare to plates.
On the commercial side plates are the norm, but I think it's more to do with size and the limitations of packing in those sizes than better flavor.
The easy answer is make it modular so you can mix and match as you see fit. I can run plates, packing or pot still by simply clamping different parts on my stills.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

bluefish_dist wrote:I don't know anyone who runs really short packed columns like 8-12" which would be equal to 2-3 plates.
I often do spirit runs with a 50cm column (40cm packing, half copper scrubbies, half stainless SPP). But only if I have low wines. If I do single runs, I prefer the 1m long column. I am not sure, if this is really the best way with my setup. When I build the shorter column, I expected a greater effect from it. I don't see much difference between distilling flavored spirits with a 50cm or 1m column.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
googe
retired

Post by googe »

I think yummyrum answered your original question well duke.Like others have said, its a lot to do with personal choice. I know thats not really what your after as a answer, but the distilling journery is long and much to learn. Very detailed information about what your end goals are is worth a lot. The usual starting point is, what do you drink the most?, amd make the most.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Ive cleaned this topic up.Lets keep it on topic .I like a good debate.Everyone has there opinions.Lets express them with out all the childish bullshit.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Ok Tater. I try to write in a manner, that there is no need to delete it:

IMO you can use a packed column for flavor without any disadvantages.
We have discussed it hundred times. Why? HD google search packing plates. Try to find yourself an answer.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Tapeman
Novice

Post by Tapeman »

What if I built modular plates with welded spacers that slide into my column? If the fit is close and the plates are properly drilled, wouldn't it have the same effect? Minus the viewing ports of course which I'm not sure are there for. I have 3" stainless tube with triclamps and a perf plate at the bottom that usually holds packing but could serve as the base to support the modules.
Maybe I'm putting lipstick on a pig?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

IT's been tried and done... but you may find it easier to just make some 4" modules than fight out of round tubing and tight tolerances

Happy Stillin,

FS

KEEP ON NUKIN!
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

bluefish_dist wrote: Some claim that marbles and lava rocks offer a better HETP which give packed columns a further advantage. If you want to spend the money SPP can provide even better performance.
Can I ask how you came to this conclusion?

I'm guessing you've tried marbles, lava rock and SPP?
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I have not done a back to back tests of all the different packings. I want to do this, but have not had the time or money.

I tried marbles vs stainless scrubbies and for me the scrubbies were better. Others claim that marbles are better and there is a whole thread on marbles. I tried SPP from big swede and it did not work as well as scrubbies. I do want to try odins SPP as it is claimed to work a bit better.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

Maybe give the lava rock a try, you might be pleasantly surprised
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Time to bring this thread back up. Mash Rookie made a glass column to visually view what was happening and spent a lot of time experimenting with different packing and posted his results. He extensively tested lava rock. Worth the review.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =lava+rock