Starting my build

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

LiveFreeorDieTryin
Novice

Starting my build

Post by LiveFreeorDieTryin »

After much reading and research I am beginning my build. Looking at a CCVM using 2" copper pipe. Going for modular design to allow flexibility. So, 48" column packed with stainless mesh (I have about 25 yards of 6" mesh) to 2" stainless tee. 2" copper coninues towards flow to 2" elbow. After elbow reduce to 1" copper then reduce to 1/2" for 3/4"over 1/2" liebig product condenser. Was figuring 36" length on liebig. I will be using stainless flex for reflux condenser and have 2 available for repurpose. Larger is a 5/8 od 1/2 id which has to be pretzel twisted to get in 2" pipe. The other is a 3/8" od 1/4" id which can be coiled tight with nice bottom loop. I would pack either with stainless mesh to fill. Just wondering if y'all think I should go for greater water flow or more efficient shape? Posting picture for reference.
Thanks,
Will
Attachments
IMG_66.jpg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Starting my build

Post by still_stirrin »

I "vote" for the 3/8" CSST.

But it will work almost like a "valve" when regulating the side stream vapor. So, positioning will be the tricky part.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

I think that the 3/8 would be the better choice, I can't see the 5/8 working nearly as well.
LiveFreeorDieTryin
Novice

Thanks ss and Klein. Need a few more parts and start soldering up. In no time I'll be doing cleaning and sacrificial runs. Got a birdwatchers fermenting for the sacrificial. Gettin excited now. I will post pictures as I proceed. Thanks to HD family for this great resource for the hobby.
Will
LiveFreeorDieTryin
Novice

Got some work done on my CCVM modular head build today. Have all pieces dry fitted. Just some clean up, flux and soldering. Friend is working on boiler a 10 gallon stainless air brake tank. Starting a birdwatchers fermenting tomorrow for my sacrificial run. Hopefully can get my vinegar cleaning run done next weekend then the sacrificial. 48" column packed with stainless mesh. 48" liebig 3/4" over 1/2" product condenser (with hookline twisted wire method). 1/4" 48" CSST reflux condenser. Need to cut my top piece for adjustability of reflux condenser. Gettin close :egeek: :D
Attachments
IMG_74.jpg
IMG_75.jpg
Liebig
Liebig
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Looking good.

You could always pick up some cheap box wine for your sac run and use the birdwatchers for your first real run...
LiveFreeorDieTryin
Novice

raketemensch wrote:Looking good.

You could always pick up some cheap box wine for your sac run and use the birdwatchers for your first real run...
Thanks rake. The local grocery had sugar (3) 4 lb sacks for $5. Plus I need the practice of process. I am real noob in My Journey here. :esmile:
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

5/8" OD CSST works fine twisted like a pretzel in my CCVM :thumbup:
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
LiveFreeorDieTryin
Novice

kimbodious wrote:5/8" OD CSST works fine twisted like a pretzel in my CCVM :thumbup:
Thank you Kim. I think both will likely work decently. I think am going to try the 1/4" first with 5/8" as fallback. The 5/8" gives me the longer topper piece which is the difference from high and really high for adjusting the reflux. Thank you for sharing your build...it is one of the threads which encouraged me to build my own.

Will
LiveFreeorDieTryin
Novice

More progress today. Got everything soldered up. Tested my liebig with full water pressure. No leaks and good flow thru twisted wire configuration. Will try to do vinegar clean on modular parts then vinegar cleaning run this weekend. Sacrificial birdwatchers is bubbling away in wait. Gettin close.
Attachments
IMG_88.jpg
IMG_89.jpg
IMG_87.jpg
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

looking good :thumbup:
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still