Rivet this flange?

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

niftyprose
Novice

Rivet this flange?

Post by niftyprose »

Hi guys, YA newbie stillbuilder post. I put this one in the 'column builds' forum because that's where it belongs logically. Apologies if anyone's getting a crick in the neck from keeping up with my changes of direction.

I'm building a pot still, my first, from a milk churn.

I have a flat copper saucepan lid which fits neatly.

I intend to attach a 2" copper column using this flange from eBay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/54mm-End-Fee ... 2749.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

This is a bigger diameter than I've ever soldered before. Should I rivet the flange to the lid before I solder it, or will the solder be strong enough on its own?

And, can anyone recommend a rivet for this type of application? I don't have a rivet gun so would likely be closing the things with a hammer...

Best, NP.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: Rivet this flange?

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I've used these:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rivets/=19zsn49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Select: "Rivets", then "Solid", then "Copper"
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

soldered properly it will hold.
solid heavy gauge electrical wire will make a rivet in a pinch.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

If you are not comfortable with the flange just being soldered, (which would be strong enough depending on how strong your saucepan lid is), just use 3 or 4 3/16" stainless steel bolt with flat washes, plus soldering it.. should do the trick, without going to some great expense.. your saucepan lid with be your weak point in the setup..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
niftyprose
Novice

Post by niftyprose »

Thanks guys, much appreciated! I'm going to try it solder-only and see how it feels. Can always de-solder and start over. Best, NP.