buy a economy tower, or build a boka

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ushutuppicard
Novice

buy a economy tower, or build a boka

Post by ushutuppicard »

well, a bit of history... i have been using my ex's fathers CM tower... the "old" design, which apparently isnt great. but it worked for me... and im familiar with the process... im looking at getting myself a tower... its down to 2 options...

buying a cheap reflux tower...
https://shop.distillery-equipment.com/c ... anol-still" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
$180 with packing, probably closer to $210 shipped... all i need is a keg, water pump, and some hoses..

or, build a boka... which i completely have the ability to do.. but it seems absurdly high priced just for the supplies. as in, by the time i buy the 60" of 2" copper pipe i need, im already close to $210. then add the condenser(70), the connector for the bottom, the needle valve, the packing... it seems like it is going to be quite a bit more $.... for something that is nothing more than a fun hobby.

so the question is... is it worth it? and what makes it that much better? is it efficiency? ease of use? better product? stronger product? Quicker runs?

it seems like there is a market out there for boka kits, but none available.

thanks for the advice! next step, after i buy or build one, is to go over the process of the run. im familiar with making the wash, and running his setup, but im quite confident he didnt do a lot of things correctly anyways, so either route i go, i should probably start fresh..
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Re: buy a economy tower, or build a boka

Post by jb-texshine »

Nothing wrong with either choice. It's a personal preference as to buy or build.personally I think that building a still and getting drinkable product as a part of the hobby and the fun.
Either is an acceptable option to me as far as safety concerns. Either is functional. Have fun.
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Definitely a personal choice.
Some seasoned vets here use no more than a simple pot still and are completely happy.

Like you did, I've learned to tame my CM still, and pull off a fair 95% when the planets align.
But I don't make much neutral and find myself in pot mode more often than not.

For the money and for what I do, I'd choose the cheaper reflux. But that's me.
JUST MY HUMBLE 2¢
BugHunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BugHunter »

I'm not sure where you're located, but that sounds awfully high for 2" copper. I'm in the SF bay area, which has pretty high prices for most stuff, and my local Lowe's hardware had 10' lengths of 2" copper type L for around $100 when I was looking a couple weeks ago. I ended up picking up a ~5' length of DWV from a local plumbing supply place for something like $75.

Or if you want to go stainless, Glacier Tanks has 5' of 2" stainless tube for $63 (plus about $20 shipping to California YSMV).
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I would do some kind of lm/ boka or a vm system. The cm system is a little finicky to run for beginners on small hobby systems.

You could build the head and use stainless pipes for the column like bug hunter suggested.

There is a market for boka kits, and there are or where some on the market. The reason why I don't usually build them is its would be easy to have an accident with one if you don't pay attention. I don't want to be liable when someone has a fire because they don't read the directions.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

No doubt about it , copper pipe aint cheap. the extra expense might be worth it tho just to stay under the radar.
I used to have a 2" x 48" Bok, it served me well, and I never had a lick of trouble with it. If I were to make another , id consider 3" diameter for improved speed)
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Your shopping in the wrong places for that copper. Try craigs list first, and keep an eye out for a few weeks if you really want a deal.
Hell mcmaster carr ships anywhere and has 6' sticks for $78.
2nd hooch's vote for 3". I have and still use 2", but if I drank anywhere near as much neut or vodka as I do whisk(e)y I would have upgraded years ago. Hell, I may upgrade anyway just to save myself from the annual-ish neutral marathon.
Wildcatdistiller
Novice

Post by Wildcatdistiller »

Build a CCVM and buy sanitary stainless steel spoils. They already have the Ferrell’s attached and it becomes modular. Coils can be made with 3/8” CSST pipe bought from any box store
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

If doing it for home on a budget with no fab skills, I would do a ccvm from spools and T's. The only part you would have to solder would be the liebig if you are cheap, or just buy a small shotgun from still dragon. Put it on top of a keg and good to go.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Wildcatdistiller wrote:Build a CCVM and buy sanitary stainless steel spoils. They already have the Ferrell’s attached and it becomes modular. Coils can be made with 3/8” CSST pipe bought from any box store
+1

You can even make a condenser like Dad300 did out of a keg spear and 3/8" CSST.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer