Copper nickle fracking column

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Copper nickle fracking column

Post by Hilltop »

Someone offered me a free 4 inch copper nickle fracking column. Does anyone else use Copper Nickle? Is Copper Nickle safe? That's my only worry. What's the Pros and Cons of this thing? I'm an old pot stiller, so it's way outside my knowledge. He calls it a hybrid fracking column. I've yet to see it.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Re: Copper nickle fracking column

Post by aircarbonarc »

Copper nickle is not safe to use at all. Nickle is very toxic, copper nickle is usually used for high salt environments. Use 300series stainless 316 is the best, or just high pure grade copper.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

aircarbonarc wrote:Use 300series stainless 316 is the best, or just high pure grade copper.
FYI on SS. I have asked around about the difference between 304 and 316 stainless, specifically inquiring about what is required for alcohol vapor. From what I have learned, the 304 is fine for distilling alcohol and there is no need to spend extra for 316 SS. The 316 alloy is designed for handling more caustic solutions than alcohol. I’m not an expert, and am just sharing what multiple experts have told me.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Otis I can tell ya this, when welding if you use 316 wire on 304 pipe, eventually caustic substances will eat out the weld. You must use the proper filler metal. I'm confused on the copper nickle, as I believe ships water is piped through the stuff.

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Here’s a link to the MSDS: http://www.fiskalloy.com/wp-content/upl ... EET_03.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Reading through it, it looks like the danger is primarily with the dust of copper nickel. The dust is a carcinogen. It will cause respiratory duress. It does seem to be relatively stable for most chemicals however. I don’t see it being overly reactive to alcohol vapors. Similarly, it isn’t sensitive to handling either. Just don’t sand it with sandpaper. And be careful cutting it so as to control any dust from the alloy.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

your description "Copper nickle fracking column" makes me ask. was this used in the petroleum industry?
be water my friend
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

I'm probably half dead then, still stirrin, as I've grinded an welded miles of the stuff. Stainless steel also has Nickle, and now some places want me to wear a respirator to weld stainless due to Hexavalent Chromium and Cadmium. I've welded probably a couple hundred miles of the stuff in my day.

Let me ask you this, during your reading, did you see anything that leads one to believe it wouldn't be safe for alcohol. He's used it for years, and is still walking with good eyesight. Upon further research today I found out the ships potable water lines are stainless. My guy thinks it's due to cost, evidently copper nickle is very expensive. But I'm not sure, if the Navy doesn't use it on water anymore, one would think they know something we don't. As cost is never a concern for Uncle Sam.

I think what I'm gonna do, is use his for a blue print and build a new one with Copper. Dang if I want to poison myself or my family.

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

cob wrote:your description "Copper nickle fracking column" makes me ask. was this used in the petroleum industry?
No he built it, i imagine it's just a name he gave it. I have yet to see it. He claims he pulls 175 proof on one run. It's 4 inch. I think it's most likely a reflux column as he mentioned needle valves. Petroleum industry fracking columns are something I have welded, they won't fit in your house.

Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Maybe he meant ‘fractioning’ column...?
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

My local scrappy has a tool that will tell them what alloy their customer is claiming to be pure XYZ

the local jewelers use the same tool on gold and silver alloys to determine carat weight

in addition to the acid tests. if he just invented a word for the material he used and you can get it

tested as pure copper you should be good to go. just don't take any chances.

edit; the copper nickel I have in my shop is actually silver colored like stainless, but

the true alloy percentages would have to be looked up. (heat exchanger from a ground water

heat pump)
be water my friend
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Kegg_jam wrote:Maybe he meant ‘fractioning’ column...?
Yep, that's what he said today. He was in the shine last time! Lol!

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

cob wrote:My local scrappy has a tool that will tell them what alloy their customer is claiming to be pure XYZ

the local jewelers use the same tool on gold and silver alloys to determine carat weight

in addition to the acid tests. if he just invented a word for the material he used and you can get it

tested as pure copper you should be good to go. just don't take any chances.

edit; the copper nickel I have in my shop is actually silver colored like stainless, but

the true alloy percentages would have to be looked up. (heat exchanger from a ground water

heat pump)
Marine asme pipe grade A, it's always bronze or gold colored. This I do remember, I could crank the heat to copper nickle 10 inch flanges to 250 amps with my Tig torch and make the prettiest welds I've ever seen. Gold welds! It doesn't get any better than that.

aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Stainless steel used in food processing has to be classified so it's not reactive. Copper Nickle is used for fire suppression systems in Marine applications. I wouldn't use copper nickle in a still, its pretty reactive and toxic.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros