roof not tall enough

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shadylane
Master of Distillation

roof not tall enough

Post by shadylane »

I've already cut a hole in the ceiling for my column
Next time when adding another section to the column, I'll have to cut a hole in the roof.
I'm thinking about installing a fake chimney on the roof, for the column to stick up in :lol:
Attachments
DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0001.JPG
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: roof not tall enough

Post by fizzix »

Too bad it's not the bottom that's too low :lol:
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Like it! I did something similar when I took a ceiling tile down. I think I'd get in trouble though if I cut a hole in the family room floor :lol: roof would be easier lol

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by zed255 »

Ya know, a similar idea came to me when setting up downstairs. I'd have to install a 'hatch' in the bedroom floor, but then column height would not be the problem. The missus would be my new issue!
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Maybe you could stick it through the wall and people would think it was a stove pipe or downpipe or waste pipe, case it in a plastic pipe or whatever....
Maybe....

Geoff
The Baker
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

That is what I call a commitment to the hobby :D
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

I’m glad I have a 10’ Ceiling to work with as it’s darned close !
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

The must be a "If your a stiller" joke somewere in this picture :lol:
Attachments
DSCF0049.JPG
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Fake chimney or flue is a friggen awesome idea :twisted:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

thecroweater wrote:Fake chimney or flue is a friggen awesome idea :twisted:
Aw, shucks....

Geoff
The Baker
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

thecroweater wrote:Fake chimney or flue is a friggen awesome idea :twisted:
I always figgured it's best to hide things in plain sight
Just stick it ontop the shed and call it a folded monopole antenna :wink:
On a side note I've got to get a remote thermometer.
Getten too frigen old to be climbing towers :lol:
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

I guess I'm lucky. If I need more height to run my 3" CCVM I simply move it outside on the deck on Wednesdays & Sundays when the neighbors are in church. All day affair for them. :D
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

Bushman wrote:That is what I call a commitment to the hobby :D
plus 1
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

A) That's a freaking awesome setup
b) Why not do a split column? Pretty common with the big guys.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Single Malt Yinzer wrote:Why not do a split column? Pretty common with the big guys.
Wished you'd have suggested that earlier. I've already started excavating :roll:
All jokes aside, I've been thinking about a split column. and how to return the reflux
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

shadylane wrote:All jokes aside, I've been thinking about a split column. and how to return the reflux
*** I've never run a split column so this is my supposition ***
http://www.kothe-distilling.com/newsite/stills/vodka" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow <-- fairly typical split column setup

You don't. Defleg at the top of each tower. Once the vapor passes the first column the second column is essentially a new start. I've see Continuous Columns that have an overflow/downcomer type return to the kettle at the bottom of the second column. I'm not sure how you would maintain the equilibrium in any case. I see a lot of opportunity to flood the columns without a return.

If you're serious about it I can ask some of the pros I know.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Please ask, there's always room for more knowledge here :thumbup:
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Seems that alot of distillers run multiple thumpers which could save height. Here is a couple ideas I've had.

1. Use a low height, wide boiler with steam or electric heat to save height by eliminating a propane burner which Is like 10inches or so.

2. Use 2 shorty columns have a pot still head on your boiler plumb to column 1 (no dephlag) running to #2 column which has dephlag. The height should be #1 lower than the #2 and #1 taller than the boiler max fill height so the recoil lines from the columns are gravity fed.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

In the past, I've run a packed column on a thumper.
I might make a short fat thumper. That would gain me almost 24"
In this pic, is the "water tank" a thumper :?:
Attachments
In this pic. is the &quot;water tank&quot; a thumper ?
In this pic. is the "water tank" a thumper ?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

just need a P trap on the returns. return below liquid level in the boiler.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

zed255 wrote:Ya know, a similar idea came to me when setting up downstairs. I'd have to install a 'hatch' in the bedroom floor, but then column height would not be the problem. The missus would be my new issue!
I was considering a trap door that in hidden by a rug in the spare bedroom, it is a dame good idea for fellas like me who are height poor downstairs and don’t own a shed....
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

I email the only person I know that runs a split column but he never got back to me.
shadylane wrote:In the past, I've run a packed column on a thumper.
I might make a short fat thumper. That would gain me almost 24"
In this pic, is the "water tank" a thumper :?:
You can control the heat in a column with it. That water does not mix with the vapor afaik. I'm not sure of operationally how it's used.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

A cross flow condenser setup horizontally might give you the extra room you need. It would also give you an easy lm option.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
EagleCliffs
Novice

Post by EagleCliffs »

First, all you home hobbyists, please take your stills outside of the house. There is a reason why no legal still can be placed in a building containing a dwelling or attached in any way whatsoever to a dwelling. 95% ABV (distillate out of a good rectifying column) produces a vapor that can ignite at fairly low temperatures. Let's not burn down the house. And all you home hobbyists in the U.S., no it is not legal to distill at home. Those NZ units are legal for other activities, but not for making liquor, so maintain discretion if you insist on being a bootlegger. My guess, if you are caught with a functional unit inside a home you will be prosecuted both for making illegal hooch and for violating fire safety code and endangering your family. In house distilling is just foolish. Take it to an outbuilding.
Secondly, with regards to false chimneys and such, if you are meeting all building standards you can not have anything supported from the roof without a building permit. If you have an anal building codes department they will require you to have an architect design any cupola, chimney, or whatever. You can put a chimney vent through a roof without a building permit. Buy the largest one you can find and run the column up through the center of your legal vent. I suggest you wrap the column with a plastic tarp that hangs down over the sides of the roof vent to prevent water leaking through the roof.
I am starting my commercial distillery on a shoestring, so I have one boiler and two columns, one for stripping and one for rectifying. I built a freestanding support for the rectifying column that sits on the concrete floor. I disconnect the rectifier from the boiler and lift it up on the free-standing support, slide the boiler out from under, then attach the stripping column whenever I want to strip. The top of the rectifying column is five feet above the roofline. It is a pain in the ass to climb up on the roof to start, monitor, and end a rectifying run, but affordable.
Please review specs on spontaneous combustion of vapor of alcohol at various proofs and keep yourself safe. Following good practice, my distillate is maintained at proof only until the run has completed and I have a legal gauge, then it gets diluted to around 50% ABV. If I was running illegally, I would start with a gallon of water in the collection pot and add water as the run progressed to keep the proof low. Vapor pressure inside an enclosed building is always a concern. Something as benign as a dropped pot spilling a run all over the floor could result in a spontaneous ignition. (Add water immediate to dilute if you spill high ABV distillate)
DSP-WA-15069
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Just as an FYI, most of the people in this thread are experienced distillers with years of experience. We fully understand the safety aspects of our rigs: flash temps, ventilation, etc. It's not our first rodeo.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Single Malt Yinzer wrote:Just as an FYI, most of the people in this thread are experienced distillers with years of experience. We fully understand the safety aspects of our rigs: flash temps, ventilation, etc. It's not our first rodeo.
On the other hand, and not to be ornery:

Rodeos are bloody dangerous....

Geoff
The Baker
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Take a count though of how many professional stills have made head lines vs. hobbiest. And there are far more hobbiest stillers than professional.

Perhaps more professionals should spend time listening to the safety voice on this forum before they go and buy one to play with.

I disagree with the statement that because it's inside it's more dangerous. Inside or out, if you are letting 94% vapor leak, you are already not paying attention to the beliefs of this forum's safety stance. Electric inside before gas outside, imo.

Never leave your still.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Eaglecliffs, how did you get a ttb permit being that your column is 5ft above your roof line? I assume if it's above your roof line your distilling outside and that's kinda of a no go with the ttb.

As for commercial distilleries have accidents there have been a few recently. I'll bet there are plenty of home distillers screwing up but a fire with a 5 gallon still doesn't make the news, a 100 gallon still gets some attention.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck