Amazon find pH meter

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sdpoage
Bootlegger

Amazon find pH meter

Post by sdpoage »

51IQEHbk6AL._SX522_.jpg
51IQEHbk6AL._SX522_.jpg (11.01 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
Found these on amazon. Have got one ordered will let everyone know how well it works.
You know your an alcoholic when you have your own still, mash your own grain and distill your own likker, but you don't care!!! A.A. is for quitters.

The only laws worth breaking are the ones that don't make sense!
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Amazon find pH meter

Post by bearriver »

I have another hobby that relies heavily on a PH meter. Been through at least a half dozen brands and have learned a caveat or two. If you want to go cheap, then don't buy a meter. Use pH testing drops. Cheap meters are just that.

Don't buy a brand of pen that doesn't have a cleaning kit, calibration kit, and storage solution. I have had moderate success with Hanna meters over the years. My most recent upgrade was a bluelab pen and I am amazed with its longevity. Its just as dead nut accurate as when I bought it. :thumbup:

For the cleaning, calibration, and storage solutions, check Amazon.

When you get it, check the pH of a cup of water. Then 20 minutes later do it again . If the numbers don't match, your meter is bunk...

Lastly, never let your meter touch distilled water. It will ruin it. Also if it dries it dies. Keep her wet :wink:
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

I ordered one of these. Good reviews, cheap and free shipping. When it gets here in a few months I'll let you know how it works. :)
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
BigSwede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BigSwede »

Big +1 Bearriver. The cheap pens will work... For a few months at best. It is just the nature of the system. pH probes are actually quite delicate, and what happens is, even the best of them WILL drift over time, sometimes significantly.

The best probes are refillable. There is a port where you can swap out poisoned electrolyte for fresh. Then, it has to be recalibrated.

A typical gel pH probe, even new in box, has a shelf life, which is why I would never, ever buy a used pH probe unless I can service it. You can go behind major labs and find $200 gel probes in dumpsters. Guys do this, put em on ebay.

I like the Milwaukee series of probes with simple calibration. Again, the pens will work, but consider them disposable.
hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hamshine »

I have one its worth what i paid 6 bucks... I calibrated it at work where there is ph buffer solution if you calibrate it allot it will work for a lil while. i used it 4 times over 2 weeks and it was off by .1 or .2 when I re calibrated it.
ETOH.... yes plz
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

+2 big and bear. I had a top o the line hanna that worked for years and a $35 hanna that lasted a month.

Got a $40 ecotester now for a year with no problems. :thumbup: I can't do test strips. I calibrate every day. Just figure it's part of the deal.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"