fine filtering mash

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rager
Distiller

fine filtering mash

Post by rager »

thinking about one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Strainer-F ... DPE+filter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

actually saw it brought up in another thread but who knows where I saw that

my first step is this

then I was thinking about using this finer micron as a final filter before it goes in the boiler. I use an external heat source and I run milky .

just wondering what you would recommend as far as what micron I should go will.

not trying to filter the yeast, just everything larger

any input ?

thanks

cheers

rr
Attachments
1422727190558.jpg
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: fine filtering mash

Post by yakattack »

I have a friend that brews beer and uses those. He loves em. Pour slow and don't over load it with grains and your fine. Use a metal one for pressing grains not these.

I would go with a 25 a 50 and a 100 then just rack it a final time. But that's me petsonally.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

I use those to rack from my ferment barrel into a clearing bucket. 75 micron is a pretty fine filter. I just use the 200 micron and the only thing that can come through is the milky liquid like you say you prefer to distill. Only difference here is I let the milky stuff sit and clear then just rack the cleared liquid into the boiler. Everyone has their own preferences though.

If you use a 75 you won't have any solids getting through for sure. The number indicates the spacing between the weave of the screen, i.e. a 600 micron filter is a course filter, 400 medium, 200 fine etc.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Hound Dog wrote:I use those to rack from my ferment barrel into a clearing bucket. 75 micron is a pretty fine filter. I just use the 200 micron and the only thing that can come through is the milky liquid like you say you prefer to distill. Only difference here is I let the milky stuff sit and clear then just rack the cleared liquid into the boiler. Everyone has their own preferences though.

If you use a 75 you won't have any solids getting through for sure. The number indicates the spacing between the weave of the screen, i.e. a 600 micron filter is a course filter, 400 medium, 200 fine etc.
Yup, had em backwards. Good catch hound. I need more sleep lol.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

Would the 25 micron keep yeast out?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Diesel410 wrote:Would the 25 micron keep yeast out?
For filtering yeast out of beer, I use a 5 micron. 10 micron will clean it up, but it doesn't clear all the yeast out. It takes a 5'er.

Below 5 micron and it'll start to pull out color. Have you ever heard of Zima? Its a barley product that was clear. They used a 3 micron filter to make it clear. It also takes most of the grain flavor out too, just leaving the acidic tartness in the taste. I'm not an advocate...just an informant.

25 micron, no way will it clear yeast out.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

still_stirrin wrote:
Diesel410 wrote:Would the 25 micron keep yeast out?
For filtering yeast out of beer, I use a 5 micron. 10 micron will clean it up, but it doesn't clear all the yeast out. It takes a 5'er.

Below 5 micron and it'll start to pull out color. Have you ever heard of Zima? Its a barley product that was clear. They used a 3 micron filter to make it clear. It also takes most of the grain flavor out too, just leaving the acidic tartness in the taste. I'm not an advocate...just an informant.

25 micron, no way will it clear yeast out.
ss
Huh I didn't know that about zima. I may get a 100 micron screen to pour my wash into the secondary fermenter to clear
Diesel410
Swill Maker

Post by Diesel410 »

I have always tried to leave all my yeast behind but does it really matter if they end up in the boiler?
carbohydratesn
Swill Maker

Post by carbohydratesn »

Too much yeast can add a bad boiled-yeast-y flavor, or it can scorch. It's not bad, unless one of those happens.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

I haven't purchased it yet. so it seems like the 100m would be the way to go?

im just trying to get the actual solids out, yeast I don't care. I run milky with no issues