new source for copper mesh

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

newbyprepper1970
Novice

new source for copper mesh

Post by newbyprepper1970 »

Have any of you found that they are selling copper mesh for pest control? I found this source and ordered some to test it. They claim it is pure copper, the price was good. the url is absolutebirdcontrol.com
If it smells like fish Wash it!!!
Condensifier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: new source for copper mesh

Post by Condensifier »

Good to know. Thanks man! :thumbup:
newbyprepper1970
Novice

Re:cost and quality

I will post the results of my opinion of the quality of the mesh and cost when i get the shipment from them. They say 4" x 20' heavier than a pot scrubber for $28.0 usd
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

pest control is a secondary market. search copper gauze here for more info. then search the net for primary manufacturer's and possable better pricing.
be water my friend
Stainless
Swill Maker

Post by Stainless »

Hi, I tried to find real copper scrubbers in uk, it can be got, but very expensive, now I don't weigh in any old heavy copper welding cables, any heavy cu cable with fine wire gets put aside for future builds. Just make sure its not contaminated where its been damaged.
hope this helps
Cheers
Stainless
Luceo Non Uro
newbyprepper1970
Novice

Re:both cob and stainless

Thanks guys, i like to see when ppl actually read what is put out, I am hoping to help everybody looking for mesh cheaper than the pot scrubbers at the retail store, that was painful.
The manufacturers mostly refuse small scale purchases like a one time builder but i do thank you for the idea and will look to compare the price when i respond about the product i actually end up getting when it comes.
newbyprepper1970
Novice

Well, i recieved my copper mesh today, it is a 20 ft long roll of 5 inch wide double layered fine copper mesh. heavier than a typical screen door but much larger holes, not as heavy a material as stainless steel scrubber thickness. I think it will work well but we will see when i run my first mash. Oh and since i told the owner of the company that ppl all over the world will be seeing the results of my experimental use of their product and might be contacting them for purchasing their mesh if it works well for our application they sent it to me free of charge as a sample for testing. ! I was impressed, no charge , no shipping fee and i get to experiment with packing my column. Now what do you think, how tightly should i fill the column?? This material is already a roll should i cut it into lengths that ball up to about inside diameter of two inch pipe and just fill it to 2/3 from the top? Or maybe leave it in longer loosely crinkled sections? How do you all fill yours and how do you hold it in place so it doesnt shift about? I will see if I can manage pics.
newbyprepper1970
Novice

here is the photo of the box as i opened it, five inches wide, almost 4 inches diameter roll, 20 feet long
Attachments
here is a photo of the copper mesh product i found 5inchesx20 feet in a roll holes approx 1/4 inch
here is a photo of the copper mesh product i found 5inchesx20 feet in a roll holes approx 1/4 inch
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I think you'll need more unless that roll is super tightly wrapped... Make snug rolls the size of your column to where they just slide in and out just at the upper end of easy... Not the tightest you can roll it but more than just tight enough to not fall out...
newbyprepper1970
Novice

might need more

Thanks Rad, I think you are right, i am gonna give it a shot with scrubber sized wads of it like you said more than just tight enough not to fall out from the bottom to about 3/4 of the top of my 48" column as soon as my Gerber wash is ready. Thanks for that brilliant recipe, have you ever heard of the WIC program? now I know what to do with all that flaked cereal my kid refuses to eat :D I didnt cut the excess off that column yet so stop me if I should keep it taller i have a 8 foot piece of 2" cu pipe and 93" cielings so leaving room for a 1/2 barrel keg boiler I will be limited to how much stack will fit. I plan on making both whiskey/rum, and cleaner likker so I guess I am asking what you all think the limit is for the length of a 2" reflux column to produce decent vodka. As usual, (trial and error is gonna be my method) i will post the results.
wnv
Novice

Post by wnv »

What were you results?

I bought some of this copper mesh today to use in my new still:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page ... 1555,51241

I don't see anywhere that is say its pure copper, but I'm pretty sure it is. The picture they show is identical to the picture for the copper mesh they sell on the Canadian brewhaus website.
5inned
Novice

Post by 5inned »

:D Awsome thanks for the link:
newbyprepper1970
Novice

sorry for the delay, winter has gone longer than usual which has slowed the money for me as i work outdoors. I will post soon Ive been saving for a good keg to convert.
ppkarnezis
Novice

Post by ppkarnezis »

Not one to post much but wanted to share a source for the copper mesh. 100' roll of the copper blocker mesh for $29.95!! Detailed analysis shows material breakdown and it is copper as copper can get. Shipping for a roll was ~$12.00 but couldn't beat the price of the material. My scrubbies are disintegrating rapidly and can't see how anything but copper is going to remove any impurities in an old fashioned pot still. When I get a look at those scrubbies after 2 uses I can't see using anything else. Here's the link: http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/ ... de=WCSLM01" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow[/b]
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

You know you don't really need packing in your old fashioned pot still? If it's old fashioned and made of copper, you have plenty. If it is a new fangled old fashioned stainless steel pot still, any scraps of copper pipe or copper sheet will work and be more durable. Just pointing this out.

Mesh can be better than trying to use scrubbies in a column, so it does look like a good deal.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Thanks for sharing your source PPK, I see they have 400 ft rolls as well. Nice!! I like some extra copper on the upward side of the operation as well. :thumbup:

Stay Safe, Have Fun, Enjoy the Journey.........