Copper pot scourers

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kaighn80
Novice

Copper pot scourers

Post by Kaighn80 »

I have a few questions about this, previously I've used marbles, copper washers and cut pieces of copper tube (which is really time consuming!) so having read through a lot of builds there seems to be a lot of copper scourers used to pack colombs, are they copper plated over steel or are they solid copper? If they are solid where are you guys getting them????

Oh by the way I'm in Essex in the uk.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Copper pot scourers

Post by pfshine »

A lot of the el cheapos are plated, don't use those. Find one that says all copper and see if a magnet sticks to it just in case. Or just use SS scrubbers instead. If you have access to welding lead you can make your own.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Copper mesh from a reputable supplier is the only way to go IMO, if you just want copper mesh that is. Scrubbers are dodgy. Call your local brew shops. Do they have those where you are from?

Another great option would be Bushman's DIY copper packing. :idea:
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Like Bear said, scrubbers are kind of iffy these days. Plenty of good stainless ones out there though. Check your garden shops. Many carry rolls of copper mesh used to keep snails out of your garden (guess snails don't like copper). That works very well also. You are probably doing better with the marbles though.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Kaighn80
Novice

Post by Kaighn80 »

Cheers guys, I'm looking to get as much copper into this one as possible, my first had a copper colomb with marbles as packing, my second was good grade stainless steel with copper washers and chopped up 15mm copper pipe, which worked really well, I'm concerned about the density of the pot scouters, how do you guys stop them from bunching up?
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

You pack them in there with a stick to make them bunch up. It has to be fairly tight.
Using Google Search

pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Not to tight you want to be able to breathe through it fairly easy.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Kaighn80
Novice

Post by Kaighn80 »

I may just stick with the washers and cut tube, I know that works and how well it works!
kekedog13
Bootlegger

Post by kekedog13 »

You can put a fire to the scrubbers too. If it burns it's copper plated plastic. If it just glows it's all metal.
Yahoo Mountain Dew ! It'll Tickle You're Innards !
Kaighn80
Novice

Post by Kaighn80 »

Everything I'm finding is copper plated, I'm going to use cut up pieces of 15mm pipe and affix copper washers to them, it's a method I've used before and it works really well.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

You ever try this? It is top quality and better than scrubbers that are best left to clean dishes.http://www.amphora-society.com/Structur ... d_p_6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow . Another option that gives a lot of choices is this, http://www.google.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow . This link works wonders if you bring it up and type Copper Mesh in the search box.

If you want a step up from mesh, you could always try this.......http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=44119
Using Google Search