New Parrot...

Fittings,,,Parrots, Packing., Tooling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

New Parrot...

Postby zed255 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:03 am

I'm looking to scale up my fermentation volumes so I can perform 3 or 4 stripping runs and re-distill those low wines into my final product. I thought adding a parrot might be an illustrative learning tool for running my rig as a pot still and to assist with knowing when to stop my run. Since these runs will be just stripping runs I have no concerns about smearing.

It is 3/4" tube that gives a fairly close fit to the alcohol hydrometer but I think there will be plenty of clearance for product to move without disturbing the reading. I used reducing Ts for the input at the bottom and collection / output at the top. I machined the top reducing T and silver brazed that connection. I also shortened to bottom outlet and made a plug tapped it with 1/8" NPT for a drain valve. I need to fit my connection to the inlet pipe yet and attach some 3/8" soft copper for the outlet, but the general form is complete.

Any issues / comments? Sorry to put up another device of which there are so many, but I like showing my progress.

IMG_1364.JPG
Overview.

IMG_1365.JPG
Output / collection cup.

IMG_1366.JPG
Inlet / drain.
----------
Zed

Six out of seven dwarves aren't Happy.
zed255
Novice

Re: New Parrot...

Postby nuntius01 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:37 am

just make sure you have an atmosphere break if you are tying it in directly. other than that looks great
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=66917
nuntius01
Swill Maker

Postby zed255 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:52 am

It will attach directly, but since my rig is a reflux still it already has an atmospheric port in the condenser cap. I was just referring to using my still in 'pot still mode', that is no / minimal reflux, for the purposes of stripping.
----------
Zed

zed255
Novice

Postby johnsparrow » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:06 pm

zed255 wrote:It will attach directly, but since my rig is a reflux still it already has an atmospheric port in the condenser cap. I was just referring to using my still in 'pot still mode', that is no / minimal reflux, for the purposes of stripping.

I think the bloke who gave you advise up there was solid.

Open to atmosphere at the top of the column won't mean that the parrot won't hydraulic.
johnsparrow
Novice

Postby zed255 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:21 pm

OK, please give a little more detail on potential hydraulic issues.

In my set-up, distillate off the condenser flows down vertically through a liebig type product cooler and the parrot will connect to the cooler output. I could omit the product cooler if need be. With the top of the condenser vented to atmosphere and product flowing vertically via gravity I see no potential for flow problems, but there is obviously something I'm not considering here or this would not have been mentioned.

This is my first stab at a parrot, and an in-line one at that. If there is an issue I'm ready for further enlightenment!

Edit: Further research suggests the flow rate past the alcoholometer could skew its reading and that perhaps my choice of 3/4" tube may not have been optimal. I just used spare parts I had already rather than going out to buy more fittings. Is this the issue to which you refer?
Last edited by zed255 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------
Zed

zed255
Novice

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:32 pm

If you don't have an atmosphere vent at the top of the parrot ( bottom of the condenser ) the parrot will bob up and down as the fluid in it is responding to the vapour colapse in the condenser .

If you have ever sen a liebig huffing you will know there are conciderable cyclic air flows in and out of the end .Even when there is no obvious huffing there is still this action . An atmosphere vent allows this to occur while the liquid happily fills the parrot uneffected .
Yummyrum
Site Mod

Postby zed255 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Yummyrum wrote:If you don't have an atmosphere vent at the top of the parrot ( bottom of the condenser ) the parrot will bob up and down as the fluid in it is responding to the vapour colapse in the condenser .

If you have ever sen a liebig huffing you will know there are conciderable cyclic air flows in and out of the end .Even when there is no obvious huffing there is still this action . An atmosphere vent allows this to occur while the liquid happily fills the parrot uneffected .

OK, this makes sense if I were running a true pot still with a liebig as my primary condenser. I have detected my condenser pulling in air into the vent as vapour collapses, so I could envision that formation of vacuum transferring some movement to the column of product below which could manifest as the alcoholometer 'bobbing' up and down.

Thanks folks, never considered the issue but I will ensure there is an additional vent to mitigate this potential problem.
----------
Zed

zed255
Novice

Postby Pesty » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:59 pm

Where you connect the parrot to the output of the condenser, use a “T” and now it’s vented.
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby zed255 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Yup Pesty, that was pretty much what I had in mind, with a little over engineering to ensure that there is no chance of product making it out of said venting 'T'.
----------
Zed

zed255
Novice

Postby WIski » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:26 pm

Nice job! Your going to love the drain on the bottom. This will serve many functions for you. The flow in your 3/4 will affect the reading but you can use the drain to regulate this and get a more accurate reading. The parrot isn't a needed tool but it is fun and can give you information that is beneficial to a superior product. Good Luck, Stay safe, Enjoy the Ride. :eugeek:
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Kareltje » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:34 pm

You could add a funnel on top of the input, so the product from the condenser drips or flows into it.

I had one other point, viewing your pictures. If I am not mistaken, at the top of your parrot the rim of the pipe in which your alcoholmeter flows, is a bit higher than the rim of the collecting trough. I would be afraid that that can cause some spillage. But maybe I am mistaken.
Kareltje
Distiller

Return to Still Related Hardware