2" tri clamp dimensions

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

durty_dunderpants
Novice

2" tri clamp dimensions

Post by durty_dunderpants »

hey, bit of a favour request this if anyone has the pieces handy. planning a modular still with SS sanitary/triclamp fittings and thinking over some options.

Q: will the horizontal flanges of a 2" tee and 2" elbow match up when both stood on a level surface?

or, "could i replace an elbow with a tee and not throw the rest of my still out of sync?"

been trying to find some dimensions but of course not all manufacturers may be the same (i know the still dragon ones are a lot shorter for example). i have found a few references that do suggest that for both the height from base to the centre of the horizontal flange is 3,5" / 89mm (making the tee 7" end to end).
just really looking for an idea of whether there's a lot of variation with these fittings. thanks for any help!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: 2" tri clamp dimensions

Post by Yummyrum »

durty_dunderpants wrote:
or, "could i replace an elbow with a tee and not throw the rest of my still out of sync?"
!
Probably but depends what you are trying to do . A capped tee might work or it might become a place for pooling .
Stick up a scetch of what you intend to do :thumbup:
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Based on a design I did but haven't bought or built, for glacier tanks "long tee" and 90* they will fit like that.
Glacier tanks long tee is 7" end to end, while the 90 is 4.758 (which if you subtract half It's width, 1.258, you get a center pipe height of 3.5" for each).
Not sure on other's dimensions, but would have assumed glacier tanks are "standard", but would expect not everyone to have "standard" stuff.
durty_dunderpants
Novice

cheers zapata that's good to know at least. ideally they'll all work to the same design but the easiest/cheapest by far place i know of for these fittings in europe would be chinese ebay distributors, and if anything is gonna be non-standard it's them. also getting information from them isn't always easy!

yummy it's the basic LM/VM split head i'd quite like to build. excuse my pathetic imaging skills but i guess everyone knows the head i mean!
design.png
design.png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
when making flavoured spirits with only LM head on it's own in hybrid mode / minimal packing it'd be pleasing to be able to move the red 90 over to where the red tee is and still have the (blue) reflux return line unaffected. my other thought was maybe putting a coil in it which might allow it to stretch a little if the heights were not too different.
i should say that there are a few other projects/configurations i want to play with that would be handy to have maximum flexibility but that's the first example
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Ahh got you :thumbup:
A tee would be fine ..... also a good place to fit a thermometer in the cap then it would look like it was ment to be there. :D
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

There some standards in sanitary fittings ie: http://www.3-a.org/
So an equal tee will match the height of a 90˚ elbow.
Think of a few tanks connected to a main discharge pipe with the one on the end fitted with an elbow, an the other ones with tees.
durty_dunderpants
Novice

yeah that's a good point cede cheers. guess my interest is going to be in using a manufacturer that conforms to such logic :D

anyone have any experience of the cheapo china stuff?
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

I had some from newtek, and they were fine. I mean, put 2 elbows on a tee and the 3 openings left were aligned.