Leibig cooling question

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

olddog
retired

Leibig cooling question

Post by olddog »

I have tried feeding the cooling water into both connections without noticing much difference, the only difference I have noticed is that when I feed the water to the connection closest to the still I get a more continuous flow with a nice spiral from the product. When I feed the leibig from the furthest connection from the still the product flow is not so clean.
Which is the correct method of feeding the cooling water and why? :? :roll:
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
Hawke
retired

Re: Leibig cooling question

Post by Hawke »

Feed from bottom to top.(Flow going counter to vapor)
This has a couple of advantages. You are less likely to get air trapped in the cooling path. And those that have done tests on it agree that it is more efficiant.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Coolant should flow in the opposite direction to the vapour ('counterflow').

Counterflow gives a higher average temperature differential between the coolant and the vapour, and hence a more efficient use of coolant.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

opposite directions:
-last thing distillate sees is the coldest water, distillate comes out cold as possible
-water shell fills from the bottom up therefore is always 100% full no matter how fast the coolant goes.

same direction:
-last thing distillate sees is the water after its already done its work, at the hottest point. distillate is hotter, requires more coolant flow.
-coolant merely trickles down through large empty water shell rather then filling the space, vastly less contact.