Sanky Valve...what to do with it!!

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Sanky Valve...what to do with it!!

Post by toofless one »

I removed the valve from my keg a while back, and now it sits on my bench...staring at me. I cant seem to come up with a reasonable use for it, other than a good whoopin stick. You guys find a good way to re-purpose these things? :?
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Sanky Valve...what to do with it!!

Post by LWTCS »

I was thinking about trying to fashion mine into a racking cane combo whooppin stick.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
toofless one
Swill Maker

Post by toofless one »

:lol: You got a genuine "laugh out loud" from me on that one...I was thinking the same thing, I just wanna keep its whoopin stick capabilities intact :ewink: . Even if there is a non-stilling bastardization for it, im wide open for ideas...thanks for the laugh
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
toofless one
Swill Maker

Post by toofless one »

Any other ideas? Im sure there are hundreds that have been pulled out over the years by youse guys! The racking cane Idea is the only one that comes to mind, but still...i hate wasting things
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I have used one to wind a coil around.

I agree with you. They 'appear' to be VERY useful. But I can think of few things, other than a racking cane, that they are good for.

One other thing I can 'think' of would be a stainless parrot. But with the ease I can solder copper, building a stainless one (for me at least), would not make it any easier to do.

It might be useful for some form of tubing for a drain valve in the bottom of a boiler. Also, if you built a double boiler, it might be used as a vent tube to the double boiler part (or even a fill tube).

Those are a few things I could think of. Lot of uses for tubing, and the valve tube IS a nice tube, but for many things, it is just too small diameter.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

use it for what it was made for. put an extension on it, and schrader valve and put it back in your keg when your done running, and use air pressure to empty the keg. cob
be water my friend
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Save it, if you ever get into beer making it might come in handy for spare parts.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
CoOkEd
Novice

Post by CoOkEd »

A burner if you knew what you were doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z6rxRnY ... re=channel
toofless one
Swill Maker

Post by toofless one »

Pretty cool video. I like the intensity of the flame thrower there, although I dont have much use for a WMD like that. Think my banjo burner will fit the bill. :)

[quote="CoOkEd"]A burner if you knew what you were doing

What do you mean by that man? :econfused:
CoOkEd
Novice

Post by CoOkEd »

it seemed to me that if someone didn't know how to work with gas it has the potential to be unsafe. I meant no disrespect towards you, just a warning to potential viewers of the this thread to err on the side of caution
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

With the valve head still attached, they make a good club.

Or is that just me?
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

No hook it's not just you. I've been thinking tire thumped.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
toofless one
Swill Maker

Post by toofless one »

cooked, i understand the need for a disclaimer, that thing is seriously intense! no problems over here man, i dont want you comin at me with that thang!

im still hanging on to it, if for nothing else, a whoopin stick...for...tires...right :twisted:
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

Tater made me a nice potstill fittin' outta one.

I haven't used my big still since I moved to an apartment, but I still have my keg and that nice fittin'.
toofless one
Swill Maker

Post by toofless one »

got any pictures? thats a great idea
adama_bill
Novice

Post by adama_bill »

I've found a good use for the valve head.

I attached it to the end of some silicon tube (split one end of the tube into "tendrils" and wrapped with thin copper wire ) and use it for raking DWWG.

The weight of the valve head is good ~ I should put a cotton "sock" around it to help filter the wheat germ.

Regards
acoop101
Novice

Post by acoop101 »

I know I am digging up an old thread but I was hoping for some input. I was thinking of using my valve for the hydrometer portion of a parrot but is it big enough not to cause issues with the hydraulic effect on the Alcolimiter.
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

The tube needs to be about 1"diameter unless you have a thin alcometer, otherwise a narrow tube will hydrolic giving a false reading, also copper is easier to solder than stainless.

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
snookfinken
Novice

Post by snookfinken »

theholymackerel wrote:Tater made me a nice potstill fittin' outta one.

thinkin the same thing. yea does anyone have any pics of this
acoop101
Novice

Post by acoop101 »

I have no problem tig welding so working in stainless isn't much harder that working with copper. What inside dimensions are people seeing for their valves?
Bmf_racing
Novice

Post by Bmf_racing »

I was planning on drilling a hole in the bottom of a stainless pot from goodwill and tig weld the valve to the bottom of the pot to make a nice funnel when pouring the wash in to the keg. Just a thought. 8)

The non Sanky valves (on Miller kegs) are even better for this because these are threaded into the keg neck.
"...there's two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will see 'em,
but the only thing that matters is that little line between 'em..."
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

Mine was placed in the back of my car and renamed...

The "People Be Good"...;)
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
belizeguy
Novice

Post by belizeguy »

i used mine for a transfer case shift knob in my truck
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

One of mine was made into a hydrometer jar. I just used some of the tube and a piece of flat stainless for the base...

another became a funnel when welded upside down onto a cut off keg top.

another became a holder for GAC and connected by stainless lines to a corny keg. A pressurized carbon filter. :esurprised: Worked ok, but a hassle and not really needed...

another became the barrel to a potato cannon used to keep the squirrels off the bird feeders. WAY too much fun...
this is the internet
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

junkyard dawg wrote: another became the barrel to a potato cannon used to keep the squirrels off the bird feeders. WAY too much fun...
Now we are gettin' somewhere. Got plans for this little piece of wonderment?
Braz
Cascade
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Cascade »

I've seen guys take the 12 inch disc of stainless (that is commonly removed from the top of the Sanke keg to make a boil kettle) and then taking the valve, hammer the ends flat, and then weld or bolt this to the 12 disc of stainless shaped/bent as a handle for this new lid. Usually then washers are welded at 3 to 4 points on the disc and this is what holds the lid from falling through.

I am pretty sure that my description is completely meaniless at this point :lol:
Just learning...
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

Its pretty simple... There is a 4" pvc pipe, capped on one end with a shraeder valve mounted in it. The other end is reduced down to a 3/4" fitting that connects to an electric sprinkler valve. coming out the other end of the sprinkler valve is a fitting that the stainless tube is soldered to. This needed a little grinding to make it fit, but easy enough. I used a little box from radio shack and a nine volt battery to actuate the sprinkler valve. just push the stainless tube into a potato so it gets a little 'slug' inside. Push it down to the base with a stick, air it up, push the button... valve opens, air rushes out... potato flies, squirrels run... That one has since been dismantled. The parts went into a 2" pneumatic spud gun. This big one is really powerful... It would easily kill small critters. I stuff a paper towel wadding in there and fill it with a cup or so of deer corn to 'erase' wasp nests. :mrgreen:
this is the internet
Sawchain
Novice

Post by Sawchain »

I just flattened out a piece of copper,cut a disc out of it and punched a few holes to make a screen.
You could also use it to hang something into your wash !