DIY SS funnel from a pot and a sankey fitting

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

scarecrow
Swill Maker

DIY SS funnel from a pot and a sankey fitting

Post by scarecrow »

I was desperate for a big funnel to use with my keg so I made one from a sankey fitting and a SS pot.
funnel1.jpg
I drilled a 40mm hole through the pot with a hole saw. Roughened up the pot and top of the sankey fitting with an angle grinder.
It's hard to get SS to wet out the solder, so I cut a piece of copper to sandwich between the SS surfaces.
funnel2.jpg
It soldered up a treat.
funnel3.jpg
I cut the centre out of the copper disc after it was all soldered together. Cleaned it up with some emery paper and all finished.
funnel5.jpg
I now have a 7 litre funnel that fits in my keg. I can leave it loose or screw it down for a tight and solid fit.
funnel4.jpg
:ebiggrin:

scarecrow
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: DIY SS funnel from a pot and a sankey fitting

Post by WalkingWolf »

Nice work scarecrow. Look likes you had a start on an LW-Humper/Thumper.

Where did you pick up the copper disc? (or did you make it? :? )
sambo

Post by sambo »

DAMM... kinda sums it up!

Nice job

GL
scarecrow
Swill Maker

Post by scarecrow »

That's the first thing I thought when I looked at it - Larry made something like this :wink:

I made the disc. My 4" column is now 3" shorter. :cry:
funnel6.jpg
scarecrow
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

great Idea... damn now I have to cut up one of my wives stainless pots LOL I gota have me one a dees. what did you make the shoulder on the sankey fitting from?
Attachments
funnel1hd.JPG
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Yes and when I charge my keg,,,the humper gets a partial charge too. No spillage.

Bit more work and thats you with a Humper! Course the lid adds more than a bit I recon.
With the floating bubble cap
With the floating bubble cap
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
ozone39
Rumrunner

Post by ozone39 »

nicely done..
thinking inside the box is for squares....
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Very nice, I am gonna sticky this so others can find it easily.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

I made the disc. My 4" column is now 3" shorter. :cry:

A 3" long piece of 1" pipe will give you a 3"+ square when cut open. Much cheaper than cutting up 4" pipe. Of course, when you have so much 4" on hand, what's a few inches ;)

If you can find a way to fix a length of 1/4" tube in there(long enough to reach inside the keg and to the top of the funnel), it will vent the keg and fill without burping or gurgling. I mention this in case this is, or becomes, an issue.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

since this fits tight into an unmolested keg, I think the gurgle tube is probably going to be needed. That way, you can pretty much empty a 5 gallon bucket into it, and it should all flow smoothly into the keg.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
scarecrow
Swill Maker

Post by scarecrow »

Kentucky shinner wrote:.....what did you make the shoulder on the sankey fitting from?
The Tooheys kegs we get come like that. Hooks got one as well.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 83&start=0

I think they are cast, I'm not sure. Doing it any other way would be too labour intensive and non profitable.
This is why I used the copper plate. The solder just did not want to stick SS to SS.

If I was to do it again, I would make the copper disc a bit bigger than the shoulder of the fitting. That way you could run some more solder under the lip and get a better key on the fitting.

That burp tube is a good idea. It just needs to be a length of 1/2" copper tube and hang it over the side of the SS pot.

scarecrow
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

scarecrow wrote:
Kentucky shinner wrote:.....what did you make the shoulder on the sankey fitting from?
The Tooheys kegs we get come like that. Hooks got one as well.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 83&start=0

I think they are cast, I'm not sure. Doing it any other way would be too labour intensive and non profitable.
This is why I used the copper plate. The solder just did not want to stick SS to SS.

If I was to do it again, I would make the copper disc a bit bigger than the shoulder of the fitting. That way you could run some more solder under the lip and get a better key on the fitting.

That burp tube is a good idea. It just needs to be a length of 1/2" copper tube and hang it over the side of the SS pot.

scarecrow
thank you I have not seen one like that, that makes it much clearer for me.
Stingrayjay
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stingrayjay »

Top work , i did not know you could solder stainless steel , learning something new each day
. Did you use normal lead free solder or was it a special like silver solder ?
Jay
GuyFawkes
Swill Maker

Post by GuyFawkes »

added to my wishlist of parts
Experience is what you get right after you need it.
Radman
Novice

Post by Radman »

Great job! Cool Idea! Thanks for sharing, awaiting my keg now,so will hopefully be usin some of your ideas
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

finished product. The extra solder seen peeled right off of the virgin stainless and looks great. Also really stiffened up the flimsy bowl enough to easily support a 3 foot 1.5 inch column with condenser on top.
finished product. The extra solder seen peeled right off of the virgin stainless and looks great. Also really stiffened up the flimsy bowl enough to easily support a 3 foot 1.5 inch column with condenser on top.
This is soft solder. Hint: it was about twice as much as needed.
Proper preparation is key. I scuffed both surfaces up with a carbide bit in a die grinder and then cleaned with acetone.
Proper preparation is key. I scuffed both surfaces up with a carbide bit in a die grinder and then cleaned with acetone.
I started with this
I started with this
Soldering stainless has been a hot topic on several threads recently. I believe that Pyewackets tutorial is the best one out
there and has served me well. Many believe that you need to tin the stainless first and add flux as you heat. I have never done
either and have had 100% success with very strong bonds. This is how I soldered a 4 inch to 1.5 inch reducer to my bowl. I used harris stay clean flux and regular soft solder since I did not have enough harris stay brite solder. I will always use the cheaper soft solder
since it worked so well. I used a regular propane torch with mapp gas. Key is to heat slowly and evenly around the thicker piece. I did
gently heat the bowl first staying away from the flux as not to burn it. Once the solder flows reduce the heat and then let everything settle. I did put some weight on top of the reducer to help hold it and settle it down after the solder melted.

EDIT sorry you have to start at the bottom and work up. First time posting multiple pics. Not sure why one double posted.
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

The flux is the secret sauce to making stainless-to-stainless work. Harris "Stay-Clean" liquid flux is fantastic.