Would these work?

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bodhammer
Novice

Would these work?

Post by Bodhammer »

Found these today: http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/grd/3638782978.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

They are stamped HDPE on the bottom. This would be for on-grain fermentation in the 14-15 gallon range. Drill a small hold for an airlock and mash away?

What say you all?
jholmz
Distiller

Re: Would these work?

Post by jholmz »

theyre good for fermenters for something that size you might want more than the standard airlock theres a couple different homemade ones on here cant remember where theyre at but prariepiss had one
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jholmz wrote:theyre good for fermenters for something that size you might want more than the standard airlock theres a couple different homemade ones on here cant remember where theyre at but prariepiss had one
One I especially liked was made up of pvc fittings and a ping-pong ball . It's here but I couldn't tell anyone how to find it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
oliver90owner
Swill Maker

Post by oliver90owner »

It's here but I couldn't tell anyone how to find it .

Go to search facility at top of page, insert ping pong ball in box and click to search. Bingo!
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

Oh heck, it's even easier than that! I typed PING in the search box, and got this...

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=35751
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

why is there never containers like that in my neighbourhood?? I'd be buyin a few of those at $19 its crazy cheap
oakback
Novice

Post by oakback »

bellybuster wrote:why is there never containers like that in my neighbourhood?? I'd be buyin a few of those at $19 its crazy cheap
I bought 4 55 gal hdpe barrels from a Super Suds car wash place for $20 (total for all 4!). They had soap in them. You might want to check out your local car wash places.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

That's a great find at a great price and yes they will work great for fermenting! :)
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

oakback wrote:
bellybuster wrote:why is there never containers like that in my neighbourhood?? I'd be buyin a few of those at $19 its crazy cheap
I bought 4 55 gal hdpe barrels from a Super Suds car wash place for $20 (total for all 4!). They had soap in them. You might want to check out your local car wash places.
you may want to check out the MSDS sheets on the soap.
oakback
Novice

Post by oakback »

bellybuster wrote:
oakback wrote:
you may want to check out the MSDS sheets on the soap.
I found it. How do I interpret this data, or rather, how do I figure out the best way to make the containers safely usable? link

I also wanted to use them as rain barrels.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

If it wasn't filled with "food grade" soap, if there is such a thing, then I wouldn't use it for fermenting... Pie filling is one thing but soap is yet another... A coolant water storage barrel, perhaps...
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

I agree with Rad. If you want to know WHY this advice is being given, take your bottle of shampoo, wash/rinse it out as much as you want (I recommend many times). Allow t to dry completely, as in days. Once it is dry, fill it with M~n~Ms. Let it sit for 10 days, then open it and eat the candies.
Angel_Kefka
Bootlegger

Post by Angel_Kefka »

I wouldn't use them. I have some car wash soap barrels I use as rain water barrels for the garden. Looked into the soap when I got them and its non-toxic sosupposedly ok to let just run off safely. but even after cleaning with bleach still smelled like the soap. I figure If the smell isn't gone the soap isn't completely.