Sharing stainless work connecting cap to boiler.

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Sharing stainless work connecting cap to boiler.

Post by Pyewacket »

Hello folks, building an essence still. Well, I am re-purposing a concentric still and need to attach it to a typical stainless salad bowl. This may be beating a dead horse, but I have had success doing it this way a few times.

Few things.
Some tips when soldering stainless steel to copper.

This is a huge departure from what you know about soldering copper to copper. Stainless steel requires a large amount of cleaning. So you will need to sand and/or use a stainless steel brush, stainless steel wool to get ALL corrosion off the metal. You should never touch the stainless steel soldering area once cleaned. The oils from your fingers will prevent the solder from binding. You will also need to make certain that all sanding debris is brushed off the steel. If you used permanent marker to mark anything on the steel, it must be sanded off before you solder.

This flux is different. I use: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HWE9A2/ref=biss_dp_t_asn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
LA-CO M-A Liquid Stainless Steel Flux Liquid, 4 oz -- It is not a paste. It is a liquid acid based substance. You will use a clean brush to apply on both the stainless steel and the copper. Do not use any paste flux when joining copper to stainless.

Apply the flux where you want the solder to go. This is not a capillary situation. If prepared properly, the solder will pool and make a strong bond to the stainless. I will show you photos of my stainless soldering and you will see that plenty of solder is used as it pools on the surface and binds to the copper.

Never put the torch flame on the stainless. Heat the copper and let the heat transfer to the stainless steel. Stainless steel scorches at high heat, so keep that flame away. In actuality, the stainless is so thin that it heats up rather fast--even conducted from the copper. In fact, you can use a 100w soldering iron to push fuse solder on the surface of the stainless steel. Although not needed for this application, you can also use a soldering iron to solder two pieces of stainless together.

This a pictorial -- with sub-notes on each photo.
Attachments
SSCAPPIC1.jpg
SSCAPPIC2.jpg
SSCAPPIC3.jpg
SSCAPPIC4.jpg
SSCAPPIC5.jpg
SSCAPPIC6.jpg
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Re: Sharing stainless work connecting cap to boiler.

Post by Pyewacket »

More Photos
Attachments
SSCAPPIC7.jpg
SSCAPPIC8.jpg
SSCAPPIC9.jpg
SSCAPPIC10.jpg
SSCAPPIC11.jpg
SSCAPPIC12.jpg
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Post by Pyewacket »

More Photos
Attachments
SSCAPPIC13.jpg
SSCAPPIC14.jpg
SSCAPPIC15.jpg
SSCAPPIC16.jpg
SSCAPPIC17.jpg
SSCAPPIC18.jpg
Last edited by Pyewacket on Sat May 25, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Post by Pyewacket »

Last set of photos
Attachments
SSCAPPIC19.jpg
SSCAPPIC20.jpg
SSCAPPIC21.jpg
SSCAPPIC22.jpg
lickermaker
Bootlegger

Post by lickermaker »

very nice work! thank you for this.
Lickermaker
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Great post! Wish I had this info a month ago. I used a much more complicated and costly method to attach my riser adapter to a ss bowl. This is about the simplest method I've seen. Great job.

S-C
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stainless dude »

Nice clean job. Good work :thumbup:
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

Very clean way to attach a column and can be used with any size cap :thumbup:
MuddyDuck
Novice

Post by MuddyDuck »

:clap: Nice work, so much better than what I used.
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Post by Pyewacket »

Thanks for the comments folks.
Very clean way to attach a column and can be used with any size cap
Yeah, should be no problem at all. In fact, if you were worried... you could always use several 1/8"-1/4" stainless nuts and bolts and secure it around the parameter inside the cap -- once you have soldered it on.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Excellent tutorial!! I did SS to copper soldering on my 1st column (1.5"), for my pot still. I just never did trust it, nor was it quite as pretty so I went to a mechanical attachment. Next time I'll be using your method for sure.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
bluenose
Bootlegger

Post by bluenose »

Very cool

would this work for SS to SS as well?
I'm not a shiner, but I play one on TV
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Post by Pyewacket »

Heya Blue,

I have used similar methods, but I do not apply heat directly to the stainless. I use a soldering tip like a lot of folks do.
propane soldering tip.JPG
Heat conducts quickly through stainless, probably because it is generally much thinner than most copper used. I have sandwiched two stainless pieces just like the photo and pressed the crazy hot soldering tip down on the top piece. The heat travels through the stainless-->solder-->stainless faster than one would think. The results are similar.

For other types of joints, I use the same flux/solder/soldering tip and push the solder where I want it to go with the soldering tip...works well for larger joins...like seams etc..
rumplestiltskin
Swill Maker

Post by rumplestiltskin »

Very good tutorial.That pretty much sums it up. Thanks for your time and effort.
Rumplestiltskin

"back home ya fart up the top of the street, by the time ya got to the tree of knowledge yuv shit yourself".. ...thecroweater
jetkrazee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jetkrazee »

Awesome! Thanks for this information.
xbwqs78
Novice

Post by xbwqs78 »

I did almost the same thing however I pre drilled small I think 1/16 holes in the stanless first then flip your picture so the copper fitting is on bottom heat the copper from underneath let the solder flow up and pool into the holes giving you a strong joint. Then drill your final holes for vapor path.
davsmth41
Novice

Post by davsmth41 »

I know this is in here somewhere, I just cant find it. What is the correct type of solder to use. I have some 95/5 but Harris reccomends 94/6 silver. Can someone shed some light on this. Also is there a heat requirment for how much the solder can take when up and running the still? Thanks All
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

davsmth41 wrote:I know this is in here somewhere, I just cant find it. What is the correct type of solder to use. I have some 95/5 but Harris reccomends 94/6 silver. Can someone shed some light on this. Also is there a heat requirment for how much the solder can take when up and running the still? Thanks All
I am not an expert on soldering stainless but there is not much difference between the two that you listed. I believe the key is in the flux. It has to etch the stainless good enough to hold. Most seem to use Harris Stay Brite.

As far as how much heat the solder can take, no worries there. Your still will never get that hot. The liquid in the still keeps it cool. Just like you can't sweat a copper plumbing pipe if any water is trickling through.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
davsmth41
Novice

Post by davsmth41 »

Thanks for the reply. Looking at the solder I have , it is 95% tin and 5% anatomy. I think I'll take it back and spend the extra for the tin and silver mix.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Yes, I had solder that was high in antamony also that I chose not to use. You will find the MSDS on line for most all popular brands, as I am sure you did, if you know the true manufacturer. Many brands are really made by someone else and just sold with a different label name on it.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
davsmth41
Novice

Post by davsmth41 »

Thanks HD
jetkrazee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jetkrazee »

I just tried this technic and must say I'm very impressed how strong the bond is. I used Worthington high activity liquid stainless steel flux, item #334436
iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by iwine »

I’m just putting together an apartment pot still /w thumper and I didn’t like the ideas of drilling and placing a connector in it. I knew there must be a better way. (I have Tim the tool man syndrome. I need it bigger, better, faster, safer.) I just picked up my pots this week.
One thing about innovation sometimes it’s the big things and sometimes it’s the little things. Thanx You got it. Pat on the back for you. Good IDEA.
Thats what you call thinking out of the box. :clap:
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Great post, Pyewacket! Don't know how I missed it. Very well done! Thanks much!
Zombie Killer
Novice

Post by Zombie Killer »

This is what i have been looking for. Great idea.
During U.S. prohibition, Texada Island was a supply point for illegal alcohol into the United States, with a famous illegal distillery operating on the east shore. The remains of the hooch boiler can be seen on the beach.
stilltheone
Novice

Post by stilltheone »

Thanks for the tutorial, how strong is the connection? My concern is not making a mechanical connection of some kind before the soldering, can the the solder joint withstand some abuse?
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Post by Pyewacket »

Glad some of you found this helpful. I didn't think this tutorial made it over when the boards went through changes. I just happened to stumble into "still related hardware" and saw it again.

To answer your question stilltheone: I have made many many of these...for various different distillation projects, and I have never had it fail. I have dropped a salad bowl with a 3foot column attached-- resulting in the bowl denting but with no issue with the cap join. I have used channel locks and banged the living hell out of the salad bowl while clamping onto the fitting--the salad bowl looked like a crumpled up piece of paper before I was able to pry off the fitting.

I hesitate to post this link because I got a reasonable amount of shit for posting it in the first place -- I sorta regret posting it. But here it is: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... t#p7143212

Please Please Please do not do the above...but if it helps you out in your quest for knowledge -- take it for what it is worth.

Just wanted to add -- If you felt compelled, you could always add a few stainless steel nuts/bolts inside the cap and through the salad bowls -- I just don't believe it necessary for most applications
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

I have done several solder joints using this method an I can assure you that the joints are very strong. I plan to us this method on my next build
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I found it helpful enough that I point other folks to it who want to know how to do it. It's a great tutorial.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

very good write up, should either be stickied or added somewhere for people to find easily .