How to clean or desinfect my new still

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ADOLFO
Novice

How to clean or desinfect my new still

Post by ADOLFO »

Hi folks,
I finished my new still few minutes ago. Unfortunately at this moment I don’t have my camera here but in a shortly time I will post some pictures.

My question...
How I can clean or disinfect the column, condenser and all internal parts of the still. I use materials that were stored much time and I want all clear to start using my still. I use SS for the keg and column and cooper for the condenser. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Adolfo Rojas
Costa Rica
Having a still is like sowing marihuana in the garden. A car stops in front of your house and you think: “Oh my God, is the police.”
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

If it is SS throughout (other than the condensor), then cleanup is pretty minimal.

If you have solder flux (in the condensor, since you did not list the type), then try to clean that with a good soak in vinegar.

Other than that, some hot water, scrub it a little, and you have it prelim cleaned.

Then do a water run through it (one at least). This will check for leaks, and will clean it out pretty good.

I would then recommend your first "true" wash you put through it be some rotgut cheapo wine. Run that (or even run it, then recombine and run it again). The alcohol will remove any remaining stuff, and if it happens to be undrinkable (due to any foul tastes), you are not out a "good" wash that you spent time on.

Your still will be as clean and disinfected after this, as it ever will be.

H.
ADOLFO
Novice

Post by ADOLFO »

Husker wrote:If it is SS throughout (other than the condensor), then cleanup is pretty minimal.

If you have solder flux (in the condensor, since you did not list the type), then try to clean that with a good soak in vinegar.

Other than that, some hot water, scrub it a little, and you have it prelim cleaned.

Then do a water run through it (one at least). This will check for leaks, and will clean it out pretty good.

I would then recommend your first "true" wash you put through it be some rotgut cheapo wine. Run that (or even run it, then recombine and run it again). The alcohol will remove any remaining stuff, and if it happens to be undrinkable (due to any foul tastes), you are not out a "good" wash that you spent time on.

Your still will be as clean and disinfected after this, as it ever will be.

H.

Hi Husker,
I use in my condenser "Silver 45" on welds. It´s the same used on Air Conditioning equipments.
Tomorrow I will try with this procedure that you said.

Thanks,
Adolfo Rojas
Costa Rica
Having a still is like sowing marihuana in the garden. A car stops in front of your house and you think: “Oh my God, is the police.”
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

The first mash you should run is the simple rum that theholymackeral describes in his recent posts. It is cheap and effective. Id throw away the first run of alcohol because it will contain all the residue from construction. There will be plenty more clean runs later... Keeping it clean later on is not unlike taking care of a good cast iron skillet.
ADOLFO
Novice

Post by ADOLFO »

junkyard dawg wrote:The first mash you should run is the simple rum that theholymackeral describes in his recent posts. It is cheap and effective. Id throw away the first run of alcohol because it will contain all the residue from construction. There will be plenty more clean runs later... Keeping it clean later on is not unlike taking care of a good cast iron skillet.
Thanks "junkyard dawg"
This is the post ?
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... t=#6718222
Adolfo Rojas
Costa Rica
Monster Mash
Novice

Post by Monster Mash »

Simply distill some water. This will clean and disinfect your still and let you check for proper operation and leaks.
PDA1 on a 19 gallon Whirlpool water heater. We bring good things to life.
ADOLFO
Novice

My still pics

Post by ADOLFO »

This is my Still...
100% home made

Comments are welcome.

Best regards,
Adolfo Rojas
Costa Rica
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

Yes, thats the post. I think thats a good recipe to learn with. So, like others have said, try running water first to find leaks, then do a run with cheap wash.

The still looks good. There is one thing that you will need to change. The vinyl tubing that connects the column and condensor must be changed. It will dissolve in that position and ruin your product. Always be sure that you have no plastics in your vapor path.

Congratulations. You'll be distilling in no time.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

Yes, thats the post. I think thats a good recipe to learn with. So, like others have said, try running water first to find leaks, then do a run with cheap wash.

The still looks good. There is one thing that you will need to change. The vinyl tubing that connects the column and condensor must be changed. It will dissolve in that position and ruin your product. Always be sure that you have no plastics in your vapor path.

stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

nice assembling, that thube sits in the worst place where it can be, you'll have to look for a coupling in messing, copper or SS

and your still isn't placed realy discreet, isn't it?

and what are you hoping to make with it? it's not realy a reflux still, and not realy a pot still ... .
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
ADOLFO
Novice

Post by ADOLFO »

junkyard dawg wrote:Yes, thats the post. I think thats a good recipe to learn with. So, like others have said, try running water first to find leaks, then do a run with cheap wash.

Good comments...
I´m searching something to replease this tube. I place this tube between the column and the condenser because these tubes are used on milking system at high temperatures and I think that will be good working on high temp in my still.

Thanks,
Adolfo Rojas
Costa Rica
ADOLFO
Novice

Post by ADOLFO »

stoker wrote:nice assembling, that thube sits in the worst place where it can be, you'll have to look for a coupling in messing, copper or SS

and your still isn't placed realy discreet, isn't it?

and what are you hoping to make with it? it's not realy a reflux still, and not realy a pot still ... .

Hey, you are right. Still was very visible when I take the pics.
I hope to make my first "Rum" sooner. I will try a simple receipe to clean my still and learn how this works.
This still is a mix of designs that I find on internet. Now I need to know if it works fine.

Thanks.
Adolfo Rojas
Costa Rica
absinthe
Rumrunner

Post by absinthe »

you should be able to find a "olive" to flare fitting to replace the tube with...

it has a small soft copper ring that squashes to seal on the SS and simply flare the copper end to attach..

i used one on the output of my still....

i now have no plastic In the alcohol path, hot or cold..

there is a difference between hot milk and hot 80%+ alcohol vapour
Whiskey, the most popular of the cold cures that don't work (Leonard Rossiter)
hornedrhodent
Rumrunner

Post by hornedrhodent »

stoker wrote: it's not realy a reflux still, and not realy a pot still ... .

Looks like a pot still to me. You could pack the column with copper mesh to remove sulphur compounds and get a tiny amount of air cooled uncontrolled reflux - but it's still a potstill to me.

Lose the plastic - are those pipes 3/4" stainless/ copper? A kinko (possibly a brand name) fitting as described by absinthe is what you need if the SS pipe and copper are the same outside diameter.
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

Washing soda(Arm and Hammer) aka sodium carbonate aka dishwasher powder(get unscented if possible) is very mild on both stainless and copper and will remove any oily or protein residue from nearly any part in your still. It requires no heat and no energy. Simply mix a weak solution in the tub and soak the column assembly for several hours.
Fill the boiler with the same stuff and wait. I am sure you will be pleased with the odor free and clean appearance and smell.
TownDrunk

Post by TownDrunk »

I would angle that output from the condenser down a bit!

And yeah get rid of that plastic tubing that somes off the top of the column and goes to the condenser!!!!!

EDIT:
What did you use to seal the pipe going through your condenser? Watch for leaks.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

pintoshine wrote:Washing soda(Arm and Hammer) aka sodium carbonate aka dishwasher powder(get unscented if possible)
pint, would arm and hammer baking soda work just as well I know it contains Bicarbonate instead of carbonate?
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

The whole Idea of using the sodium carbonate is that if there are any residual oils, they will be saponified by the carbonate and removed from the system. I have not been able to get the milder bicarbonate do that.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

gotcha , washing soda it is then ... thanks for replying Pint. :)
AB Normal
Novice

Re:

Post by AB Normal »

pintoshine wrote:Washing soda(Arm and Hammer) aka sodium carbonate aka dishwasher powder(get unscented if possible) is very mild on both stainless and copper and will remove any oily or protein residue from nearly any part in your still. It requires no heat and no energy. Simply mix a weak solution in the tub and soak the column assembly for several hours.
Fill the boiler with the same stuff and wait. I am sure you will be pleased with the odor free and clean appearance and smell.
Pint - I don't know how to thank you.
Nothing got that 'permanent' tailsy stank out of my stainless pot head.
Sodium Carbonate did the trick.

Ancient thread but gotta give credit when credit's due. :clap: